CollectingBanter

-   Coins (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   "They'll be worth something someday" (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=129461)

Paul Anderson May 16th 05 03:46 PM

"They'll be worth something someday"

I spent some $2 bills, dollar coins and 2005 buffalo nickels at a White
Castle in New York yesterday. This caused quite a stir and competition
among the workers to buy up these denominations.

One worker said he was buying the $2 bills because "they'll be worth
something someday". I've heard this before and wonder why people think
this about coins or bills that clearly will never be worth more than
face value.

It has been disproven time and time again, but people still think it.
Everything from bicentennial quarters to $2 bills to half dollars to
state quarters to dollar coins NEVER EVER are worth more than face
value, yet there's this allure or myth of "worth something someday"
that is apparently irresistable.

I guess I know why it happens, but it never ceases to amuse me.

Paul

--
Paul Anderson
OpenVMS Engineering

Anita May 16th 05 03:51 PM

On Mon, 16 May 2005 14:46:22 GMT, Paul Anderson
It has been disproven time and time again, but people still think it.
Everything from bicentennial quarters to $2 bills to half dollars to
state quarters to dollar coins NEVER EVER are worth more than face
value, yet there's this allure or myth of "worth something someday"
that is apparently irresistable.

I tend to think this way, too, Paul. I tend to think that something I
don't see every day will be worth something one day. The thinking is
probably true, but now I have to add that I probably won't be around
when that day comes.

She who recently cashed in $300 of circulated state quarters. They
would be worth something *some*day :- Anita

Edward McGrath May 16th 05 04:27 PM

Geez you gotta get some books on modern paper money if you think bills
are only worth face value. 2003 B (NY) $1 star note in crisp
uncirculated condition worth $100, and there are plenty of others.
Knowledge is the key to paper money collecting.

Cliff May 16th 05 04:29 PM

Paul Anderson wrote:
I spent some $2 bills, dollar coins and 2005 buffalo nickels at a White
Castle in New York yesterday. This caused quite a stir and competition
among the workers to buy up these denominations.

One worker said he was buying the $2 bills because "they'll be worth
something someday". I've heard this before and wonder why people think
this about coins or bills that clearly will never be worth more than
face value.

It has been disproven time and time again, but people still think it.
Everything from bicentennial quarters to $2 bills to half dollars to
state quarters to dollar coins NEVER EVER are worth more than face
value, yet there's this allure or myth of "worth something someday"
that is apparently irresistable.

I guess I know why it happens, but it never ceases to amuse me.

Paul

I believe that people back in 1916 probably had the same kind of
attitude towards people that picked up the new standing liberty
quarter or walking liberty half and said, hey, these might be worth
something some day.

Paul, you take a very cavilier attitude towards other people seeing
something out of the ordinary. And you say that "coins or bills that
clearly will never be worth more than face value". Who are you to be
"amused" at other people putting things away for a hopeful future
appreciation? Why do you laugh at potential new collectors, who may
start collecting coins or currency just because of the strange new
items you've paid with?

This elitist attitude is the one you see at coin shows where dealers
decide you can't afford their coins before you even get to their table
or the attitude that collectors show to people coming into this group
with a simple question about something that seems out of the ordinary.
This attitude is what will spell a death knell to collecting long
before the endless new items being put out by the mint or the guys on
TV that offer coins at some what inflated prices. If the TV or the
mint web site are the only places people can get information without
being laughed at, then that is where they are going to get their
coins. If they like what they get and feel like the price is OK by
them, then they spend their money as they like.

Just don't look down your nose the next time you bring a little cheer
into someones life by spending that half dollar or two dollar bill.
Cliff

stonej May 16th 05 04:37 PM

Paul Anderson wrote:
[...]

They think that because they usually see so few of them that they think
they are scarce and will be valuable some day. If they would take the
stuff to a coin dealer they would be greatly disappointed of course.

I have no illusions of great future value but I like to collect AOL
discs in their various packaging. I don't know how many I have but it
is a lot of them. Just picked up one at Burger King for AOL 9.0
promoting
the new Star Wars movie. It will be interesting to see how many
different ones I can find over the years.

One person has around 1000 different ones and there is some collector
demand as they are being sold on Ebay.

Slopoet17 May 16th 05 04:55 PM

Hear, hear, Cliff. I feel exactly as you do. And as I recently sold a
roll of circulated Bicentennial quarters for 3 times face ($30 for the
roll) at auction, I have facts to support the claims.

But keep on putting your $2's and Sacagaweas and Bisons out there,
Paul. We'll be glad to cash in on your ignorance. You clearly don't
know a thing about values of modern issues.

One man's trash is another's treasure.

Edwin Johnston May 16th 05 05:40 PM

stonej wrote:
snip
I have no illusions of great future value but I like to collect AOL
discs in their various packaging. I don't know how many I have but it
is a lot of them. Just picked up one at Burger King for AOL 9.0
promoting
the new Star Wars movie. It will be interesting to see how many
different ones I can find over the years.

One person has around 1000 different ones and there is some collector
demand as they are being sold on Ebay.

Well, if you ever want to recycle them, you can send them to the guys
who are trying to collect a million of them:
http://www.nomoreaolcds.com/

Paul Anderson May 16th 05 06:55 PM

In article , Cliff
wrote:

Paul, you take a very cavilier attitude towards other people seeing
something out of the ordinary. And you say that "coins or bills that
clearly will never be worth more than face value". Who are you to be
"amused" at other people putting things away for a hopeful future
appreciation?

I didn't intend to belittle those who think these denominations are
"valuable".

Why do you laugh at potential new collectors, who may start
collecting coins or currency just because of the strange new items
you've paid with?

This is part of the reason I spend $2s, dollar coins and halves, and
why I am putting a bunch of the new nickels in circulation. It's a
little bit of education, exposing people to coins and bills they might
not often see, a little bit of trying to get these denominations in
circulation. I would love it if one of the people at White Castle
picked up a coin book because of the money I spent there.

Once they picked up a coin book or learned more about what it is they
have, they would hopefully know the difference between something common
and something valuable.

This elitist attitude is the one you see at coin shows where dealers
decide you can't afford their coins before you even get to their
table or the attitude that collectors show to people coming into this
group with a simple question about something that seems out of the
ordinary.

I love to talk to people about the coins and bills I spend. Do you
know how many times I've explained what one of the new nickels are?
I've had them refused a couple of times, but once I explain that
they're the new nickels, the person often says "oh, I heard about
these!" People, in general, love to receive the new nickels, halves,
dollar coins and $2 bills. It makes a common money transaction a bit
more fun.

Just don't look down your nose the next time you bring a little cheer
into someones life by spending that half dollar or two dollar bill.

I don't. I'm having fun with money, including getting a smile out of
someone who has just received something out of the ordinary from me.

Paul

--
Paul Anderson
OpenVMS Engineering

Paul Anderson May 16th 05 06:57 PM

In article .com,
Slopoet17 wrote:

But keep on putting your $2's and Sacagaweas and Bisons out there,
Paul. We'll be glad to cash in on your ignorance. You clearly don't
know a thing about values of modern issues.

Sure I do, but most of the money I spend has no value above face.

However, I do spend any 90% or 40% silver halves I get even though I
know the value of those. So if you get one of those in change, feel
free to "cash in", but it won't be due to my ignorance.

Paul

--
Paul Anderson
OpenVMS Engineering

A You May 16th 05 07:05 PM

I spent some $2 bills, dollar coins and 2005 buffalo nickels at a White
Castle in New York yesterday. This caused quite a stir and competition
among the workers to buy up these denominations.
One worker said he was buying the $2 bills because "they'll be worth
something someday". I've heard this before and wonder why people think
this about coins or bills that clearly will never be worth more than
face value.
It has been disproven time and time again, but people still think it.
Everything from bicentennial quarters to $2 bills to half dollars to
state quarters to dollar coins NEVER EVER are worth more than face
value, yet there's this allure or myth of "worth something someday"
that is apparently irresistable.

Well, consider a stock held the past 40 years. If all it did was keep up
with inflation but without any tax due then it has not made a millionaire
but yet it is a very impressive chunk of value...Along those lines you need
$10,000 worth of the targeted collectable not just a few items.

Actually, I think $2 bills in uncirculated condition are very sharp. Also
look for exponents of Mersenne primes as serial numbers of uncirculated $2
bills !

Also, I think modern coins need an edge such as the proof versions or
versions mint packaged as uncirculated or first day strike versions...

Anita May 16th 05 08:10 PM

On 16 May 2005 08:55:05 -0700, "Slopoet17" wrote:
But keep on putting your $2's and Sacagaweas and Bisons out there,
Paul. We'll be glad to cash in on your ignorance. You clearly don't
know a thing about values of modern issues...

Talking of nickels. I went to the bank today and on a whim bought
rolls of cents, nickels, dimes, and quarters. I'm not normally a roll
searcher, but I felt like it today.

Wouldn't you know it? The teller gave me a fed roll of uncirculated D
bisons. Now I'm paralyzed. One part of me wants to put them in the
safe in case they're worth something one day. The other part wants to
tear them open to look for a speared bison. Couldn't the teller just
have given me a simple conflict-free roll of nickels?

I hope I don't discover the other denominations are uncirculated coins
that may be worth something one day.

Anita

Bob Hairgrove May 16th 05 08:26 PM

On Mon, 16 May 2005 14:51:12 GMT, Anita wrote:

On Mon, 16 May 2005 14:46:22 GMT, Paul Anderson
It has been disproven time and time again, but people still think it.
Everything from bicentennial quarters to $2 bills to half dollars to
state quarters to dollar coins NEVER EVER are worth more than face
value, yet there's this allure or myth of "worth something someday"
that is apparently irresistable.

I tend to think this way, too, Paul. I tend to think that something I
don't see every day will be worth something one day. The thinking is
probably true, but now I have to add that I probably won't be around
when that day comes.

She who recently cashed in $300 of circulated state quarters. They
would be worth something *some*day :- Anita

My stepfather bought an uncirculated roll of 1968-S Lincoln cents when
they were issued. This year and mint had the lowest mintage number of
any date from 1958 until the present, excluding proofs.

Today, these are worth less than the 1968-P cents which had five times
the mintage numbers, and they are worth about the same as any of the
later common dates. Were the 1968-P's melted down or something??

He died in 1996. But I'm still waiting, because "some day, I *know*
they'll be worth something".

:)

--
Bob Hairgrove

Jim Wild May 16th 05 10:18 PM

You wanna really cause some confusion, spend a Kennedy half sometime.
"Is this 50 cents?" "No it's 5 dollars, now give me my burger."

I don't mean to judge, but you were dealing with fast food employees. My
opinion of them sinks lower everyday.

Heck, the golden dollar will throw most of them into confusion. I've
spent some garbage like no date Buffaloes and a few extra Franklins for
the heck of it. You are right, it is in fact amusing sometimes.

To be fair, many people don't have an interest in coins and are
fascinated by different things that they have never seen before. But of
coarse, Hardee's and McDonald's fills a nitch by employing the lesser of
the species.

No offense to anyone unless you work at the Hardee's at 912 Merrimac
trail, then you are indeed an idiot.

Jim

Vector May 16th 05 11:20 PM

On 16 May 2005 08:37:43 -0700, "stonej"
said:

One person has around 1000 different ones and there is some collector
demand as they are being sold on Ebay.

Gee, I've got a couple AOL v2.50 3.5" 'floppies' ... they might be
worth something someday chuckles

stonej May 17th 05 01:28 AM

Don't laugh, something from the early days of AOL probably is already
selling on Ebay.

Scott Drummond May 17th 05 01:31 AM

"Vector" wrote in message

Gee, I've got a couple AOL v2.50 3.5" 'floppies' ... they might be
worth something someday chuckles

A couple of years ago when I heard that some people actually collected the
things, I put a lot of 10 different AOL floppies up for auction on eBay.

The winning bid was over $100.00.

linxlvr May 17th 05 01:56 AM

On Mon, 16 May 2005 17:18:42 -0400, Jim Wild wrote:

You wanna really cause some confusion, spend a Kennedy half sometime.
"Is this 50 cents?" "No it's 5 dollars, now give me my burger."

I don't mean to judge, but you were dealing with fast food employees. My
opinion of them sinks lower everyday.

Heck, the golden dollar will throw most of them into confusion. I've
spent some garbage like no date Buffaloes and a few extra Franklins for
the heck of it. You are right, it is in fact amusing sometimes.

To be fair, many people don't have an interest in coins and are
fascinated by different things that they have never seen before. But of
coarse, Hardee's and McDonald's fills a nitch by employing the lesser of
the species.

No offense to anyone unless you work at the Hardee's at 912 Merrimac
trail, then you are indeed an idiot.

Jim

A) I do not work at fast food services.
B) How hard would you work for someone who thinks they are king because
they flipped enough burgers to be manager, and think you should be a slave
to them for minimum wage and no benefits.

summary: just like expecting an XF trade dollar for 50.00..... it ain't
happening. the burger king managers are being given exactly what they are
paying for.
--
dw

Vector May 17th 05 02:04 AM

On Mon, 16 May 2005 18:31:15 -0600, "Scott Drummond"
said:

"Vector" wrote in message
.. .

Gee, I've got a couple AOL v2.50 3.5" 'floppies' ... they might be
worth something someday chuckles

A couple of years ago when I heard that some people actually collected the
things, I put a lot of 10 different AOL floppies up for auction on eBay.

The winning bid was over $100.00.

Jimminy!! Ten bucks apiece? Wow ... I am surprised!
What versions were yours?
I suppose if someone was inclined to build a collection, and they
didn't have a v2.50 .... hmmmm
I wouldn't have any problem parting with those disks for a ten spot
apiece. I'll have to dig them up and see how they are cosmetically.

Bruce Remick May 17th 05 02:34 AM

"Paul Anderson" wrote in message
I spent some $2 bills, dollar coins and 2005 buffalo nickels at a White
Castle in New York yesterday. This caused quite a stir and competition
among the workers to buy up these denominations.

One worker said he was buying the $2 bills because "they'll be worth
something someday". I've heard this before and wonder why people think
this about coins or bills that clearly will never be worth more than
face value.

It has been disproven time and time again, but people still think it.
Everything from bicentennial quarters to $2 bills to half dollars to
state quarters to dollar coins NEVER EVER are worth more than face
value, yet there's this allure or myth of "worth something someday"
that is apparently irresistable.

I guess I know why it happens, but it never ceases to amuse me.

Paul

Hey, it's hard to blame people when they see cereal boxes, coffee cans, Sears
catalogs, etc. that they remember using selling at premiums to collectors.
Putting away a few $2 bills won't break anyone's bank. I still have some I put
away, along with Barr and Kabis/Kennedy $1 notes that I was SURE would really be
worth something one day. Lessee, that's about 35 years gone by now. Wonder
what a dealer would offer for those bills today? I don't have another 35
years.

Bruce

Bruce Remick May 17th 05 02:49 AM

"Anita" wrote in message
On 16 May 2005 08:55:05 -0700, "Slopoet17" wrote:
But keep on putting your $2's and Sacagaweas and Bisons out there,
Paul. We'll be glad to cash in on your ignorance. You clearly don't
know a thing about values of modern issues...

Talking of nickels. I went to the bank today and on a whim bought
rolls of cents, nickels, dimes, and quarters. I'm not normally a roll
searcher, but I felt like it today.

Wouldn't you know it? The teller gave me a fed roll of uncirculated D
bisons. Now I'm paralyzed. One part of me wants to put them in the
safe in case they're worth something one day. The other part wants to
tear them open to look for a speared bison. Couldn't the teller just
have given me a simple conflict-free roll of nickels?

I hope I don't discover the other denominations are uncirculated coins
that may be worth something one day.

Anita

Don't worry, Anita. It looks like 20-30% of the entire bison nickel mintage
will be saved in one form or another in BU condition by collectors, dealers, and
speculators. Not much doubt these will never be in demand because of scarcity.
The stuff to put aside for future appreciation is the stuff no one else saves.
That's why I was able to sell a local phone book from the 1950's for $45, and a
Sears catalog from the same period for $60. If you've got the space and the
time, putting away examples of common everyday items that most everyone else
throws away might bring nice returns from nostalgia freaks in years to come.
With me, it will be my grandson who would reap any benefits of the oddball stuff
I'm saving, if he doesn't throw it all away before his collector gene develops.

Bruce

Bruce Remick May 17th 05 02:51 AM

"stonej" wrote in message
oups.com...
Don't laugh, something from the early days of AOL probably is already
selling on Ebay.

Exactly! Anyone else save their "Pong" or Atari TV computer games, or did you
throw them away?

Bruce

Scott Drummond May 17th 05 03:21 AM

"Vector" wrote in message

Jimminy!! Ten bucks apiece? Wow ... I am surprised!

I was, too. I expected maybe ten or fifteen bucks for the lot.

What versions were yours?
I suppose if someone was inclined to build a collection, and they
didn't have a v2.50 .... hmmmm

IIRC, versions 1.xx and up. I believe the earliest versions are generally
the better ones, but who knows for sure? Not me.

I wouldn't have any problem parting with those disks for a ten spot
apiece. I'll have to dig them up and see how they are cosmetically.

You could run a search on eBay to see what's up with them, and go from
there...

jeff May 17th 05 03:33 AM

Anita wrote:
Wouldn't you know it? The teller gave me a fed roll of uncirculated D
bisons. Now I'm paralyzed. One part of me wants to put them in the
safe in case they're worth something one day. The other part wants to
tear them open to look for a speared bison. Couldn't the teller just
have given me a simple conflict-free roll of nickels?
Anita

Considering that the mint will probably make a billion of these things,
and - because of roll-hoarding - many will remain uncirculated, it's
hard to imagine that bisons will be worth much any time soon.

Jeff (I'd probably hoard a roll or two too, though :)

Vector May 17th 05 04:35 AM

On Mon, 16 May 2005 21:51:53 -0400, "Bruce Remick"
said:

Exactly! Anyone else save their "Pong" or Atari TV computer games, or did you
throw them away?

I've got some old stuff, and a bunch of magazines. Some of what I've
inventoried ...
(please, I don't want to be committed)

Amiga 500 S# CA1070377 in box w/ power supply & AmigaDOS manual
Amiga 500 with 1 MB RAM S# CA1044116
Apple computer model No. A2S1048B
Atari 800 computer S# AW 357496 with BASIC cartridge
Colecovision ADAM computer
Commodore 128 computer
Commodore 128 computer S# CA1249832 Mfd 9/85
Commodore 128 computer S# CA1958432 Mfd 6/86 (cable attached)
Commodore 128 S# CA1371792 discolored in box with power supply
Commodore 128D computer
Commodore 64 (new C128 style) S# CA1684081
Commodore 64 (original style) S# obliterated
Commodore 64 (original style) S# P00936470
Commodore 64 (original style) S# P00936470
Commodore 64 (original style) S# P00955746
Commodore 64 (original style) S# P01413793
Commodore 64 (original style) S# P5322975B
Commodore 64 (original style) S# P5586456B w/power & IN BOX
Commodore 64 (original style) Serial number label missing
Commodore B128 computer
Commodore Plus/4 computer in box
Commodore VIC 20 S# P1382414
Compaq Deskpro computer no CD drive, floppy only
Compaq Deskpro computer with CD drive
IBM PC XT computer
Tandy 1000 SL Personal Computer, model 25-1401 S# 135856
Tandy 1000 SL Personal Computer, model 25-1401 S# 146719
Tandy TRS-80 Color Computer S# 0036329 with BOX
Texas Instruments 99/4A computer in box
TI-99/4A S# 54006654 LTA2483
Timex Sinclair 1000 S# F_012528 (smashed by Bobbie) with PS
Timex Sinclair 1000 S# P 457414 (MIB with PS & paperwork
TRS-80 Model 1 Microcomputer system S# 016027 (key missing)
Box of Commodore cables, xformers & adapters
Xetec, Inc. - Super Graphics Jr. printer interface for Commodore
computer
Atari - Warlords cartridge
Atari Model No. CX-2600 S# 81604363
Atari Model No. CX-2600 A S# 828011855
Coleco Vision expansion module #1 S# A0028740
NES Advantage joystick, in box … S# USA 0052703
Nintendo Entertainment System - Model NES-001 S# N23084927
AT&T Globalyst 375 TPC - just a hulk
Maxx flight yoke controller for Amiga
Competition Pro joystick - Commodore, Atari
pair of joystick (C64/Amiga/Atari compatible)
Suncom - Tac-2 joystick - Commodore, Atari (works?)
Suncom - Tac-2 joystick - Commodore, Atari (works?)
Suncom - Tac-2 joystick - Commodore, Atari (works?)
Suncom - Tac-2 joystick - Commodore, Atari (works?)
Suncom - Tac-2 joystick, knob missing (works?) Commodore, Atari
Suncom - Tac-3 joystick in box (Atari, Commodore, etc)
Suncom Tac-30 joystick - Commodore, Atari
Suncom Tac-5 joystick - Commodore, Atari
TI-99/4A Joysticks (two controllers on a single connector)
Wico Command Control joystick - Commodore, Atari
Wico Command Control joystick - Commodore, Atari
Commodore 128D keyboard
IBM PC keyboard
Sony Vaio keyboard S# 0383476 MFR No. KB-7923
Tandy enhanced keyboard S# 238626
TI-99/4A replacement keyboard (keyboard only)
Commodore VicModem Model 1600 S# 67600
Commodore 1084 computer monitor
Commodore 1084 computer monitor in box
Commodore 1802 monitor WITH video cable
Goldstar 13" Color Monitor model MCL-4333 S# 40700361
Heath Zenith Color Monitor (went with TRS CoCo computer?
Hitachi CM-1481H computer monitor
Hitachi SuperScan Pro computer monitor
IBM monitor model 8512-001, MFD 2/1990 for PC XT
IBM PC XT's monitor
Packard Bell 1402S computer monitor
Philips Magnavox monitor, no cord
Samsung 13" No. MA2565 Mfd Sept 1989 S# 93003013
Tandy VM-5 13"? Monitor S# 80200208 Mfd 12/1988
Tandy VM-5 13"? Monitor S# 81200187 Mfd 12/1988
Zenith Data Systems model ZVM-123-A (came with B128)
Amiga mouse
HP PC mouse (brand new in plastic)
computer printer stand (riser)
Protecto vinyl cover for C64 computer
Protecto vinyl cover for C64 computer
Protecto vinyl cover for C64 computer
Commodore compatible - Taihaho Modem Interface
Commodore modem /300 model 1660 S# CA1046947
Commodore modem/1200 model 1670 S# CA1044450 (in 1660 box too)
Black case, for Commodore computer (it says), probably C64
Commodore PN 251053-02 (2/84)
Commodore PN 251053-02 (4/86)
Commodore PN 251053-02 (7/83)
Commodore PN 251053-10 (1/89) Tan case
Commodore PN 310416-01 (85 286860)
Commodore PN 312503-01 (9/91) Amiga 500 power supply
TI-99/4A power supply
Apple 'Silentype' printer (thermal) Model A2M0032 S# 17717
Canon BJC-4400 color bubble jet printer
Citizen GSX 140 dot matrix printer (very dirty)
Colecovision Smartwriter printer for ADAM computer
Commodore 4023 printer in box
Commodore 6400 daisy wheel printer
Commodore Tractor Printer 4022 S# 200073
HP Deskjet 656c USB printer
HP Deskjet 810c injet printer
HP officejet v40 printer fax scanner copier
Okidata 120 (model GE5250E) S# 5IIA0021474 (no cords)
Okidata 180 printer in box
Okimate 20 Model #EN3211 Commodore compatible printer
Okimate 20 Model #EN3211 Commodore compatible printer
Panasonic KX-P1091i printer 7LKALJ07998 Pro.Svc.No.KX-P1091i-005
Seikosha SP-1000VC printer S# 5201470 with manual
Star Micronics - Star NX-1000C Multi-font S# 310291001832
Texas Instruments 865 printer with cartridges
VIC 1525 Graphic Printer
Timex Sinclair 1015 16K RAM cartridge model M331 S# F-153526-SP
Epson ES-1200C flatbed scanner (huge antique)
Mustek 600 III EP Plus S# EA903D07797
Amiga 1010 external 3.5" floppy disk drive S# XN 0024320
Apple "disk II" floppy drive Model A2M0003 S# 1465754
Atari 410 Program Recorder (cassette recorder) S# AC 45980
Atari 800 - Percom Data 5.25 floppy drive (with MS BASIC disk inside)
Commodore 1571 disk drive S# AD1087788 in box with manual
Commodore 1541 disk drive S# AA1 A32057 w/cords & power
Commodore 1541 disk drive S# AB1 032233
Commodore 1541 disk drive S# AB1A 02369
Commodore 1541 disk drive S# AD1 134152
Commodore 1541 disk drive S# AD1 147256
Commodore 1541 disk drive S# AJ1 003070
Commodore 1541 disk drive S# AJ1 131788 in box w/cord & book
Commodore 1541 disk drive S# AJ1A 36598
Commodore 1541 disk drive S# BA1C 00101
Commodore 1541 II floppy disk drive S# JA1 071088
Commodore 1571 disk drive S# AD1087788 (in box with manual)
Commodore 1571 floppy disk drive S# AB 1038115
Commodore 1571 floppy disk drive S# JAI 101506
Commodore 1581 disk drive S# JA1 002587
Commodore 1581 disk drive S# JA1 007228
Commodore 8050 dual disk drive in box
Commodore C2N cassette drive (old round style) S# 168452
Commodore C2N cassette drive (old round style) S# 2063411
Commodore C2N cassette drive (old round style) S# 2597768
Commodore CBM 8050 dual drive S# M1007575 Chipola Jr. College
Commodore datasette drive C2N (rounded one)
Commodore datasette drive C2N (rounded one)
Commodore SFD 1001 disk drive S# GA1009519 (dip switch mod)
Flexible Data Systems external 3.5" floppy disk drive
Fortronics cassette drive IN BOX, for VIC20 and C64
Iomega Jaz 1.0 GB disk drive model No. V1000S (works?? Very dirty)
Syquest SPARQ1PE drive S# 002300039333
Syquest SPARQ1PE drive S# 002300209479
TI-99/4A - Panasonic 'shoebox' cassette with TI-99/4A connector cord

Papito May 17th 05 04:47 AM

On 16-May-2005, Bob Hairgrove wrote:

My stepfather bought an uncirculated roll of 1968-S Lincoln cents when
they were issued. This year and mint had the lowest mintage number of
any date from 1958 until the present, excluding proofs.

Today, these are worth less than the 1968-P cents which had five times
the mintage numbers, and they are worth about the same as any of the
later common dates. Were the 1968-P's melted down or something??

It has to be a supply effect -- Lots of other people saving 1968 S BU rolls,
possibly because they are rare and "will be worth something someday."

I buy BU cent rolls from a local dealer on occasion. Usually 1963 give or
take. He charges me 75 cents. The only thing I can think is that there
must have been a _lot_ of people saving BU rolls back then.

Papito May 17th 05 04:56 AM

On 16-May-2005, (Edward McGrath) wrote:

Geez you gotta get some books on modern paper money if you think bills
are only worth face value. 2003 B (NY) $1 star note in crisp
uncirculated condition worth $100, and there are plenty of others.
Knowledge is the key to paper money collecting.

Quite true. I thought my father was silly when he set aside a small stack
of CU series 1985 one dollar bills. He thought they were neat because they
have consecutive serial numbers. I didn't immagine they would ever be worth
anything.

Last time I saw a price guide, I think they were listed at $5 each or so. I
couldn't believe it.

Paper money is so much less interesting to me than coins I rarely bring
myself to save it, even if I notice a fancy serial number or a star note,
but logically, its higher attrition rates could easily mean that it is a
better investment in terms of saving items from circulation than coins are.

Phil DeMayo May 17th 05 04:57 AM

On Mon, 16 May 2005 19:33:04 -0700, jeff wrote:

Considering that the mint will probably make a billion of these things,
and - because of roll-hoarding - many will remain uncirculated, it's
hard to imagine that bisons will be worth much any time soon.

Last year's figures (combined Philly and Denver):

733.44 million Peace Medal Type
711.60 million Keelboat

Papito May 17th 05 05:02 AM

On 16-May-2005, "Scott Drummond" wrote:

A couple of years ago when I heard that some people actually collected the
things, I put a lot of 10 different AOL floppies up for auction on eBay.

The winning bid was over $100.00.

Were they professionally graded and authenticated?

Scott Drummond May 17th 05 05:17 AM

"Papito" wrote in message

Were they professionally graded and authenticated?

No, but I found out later that if I had the original packaging, they would
have been worth even more.

Vector May 17th 05 05:42 AM

On Mon, 16 May 2005 23:38:42 -0400, "Wasdin, Jake E."
said:

I have some of those, many still in use. (=)

The sad thing is, that was only a partial list. I've got a spare
bedroom crammed with obsolescent computer equipment I've started to
inventory. I haven't even started on the boxes upon boxes of
software, mostly Commodore.

Bob Hairgrove May 17th 05 09:27 AM

On Mon, 16 May 2005 21:51:53 -0400, "Bruce Remick"
wrote:

"stonej" wrote in message
roups.com...
Don't laugh, something from the early days of AOL probably is already
selling on Ebay.

Exactly! Anyone else save their "Pong" or Atari TV computer games, or did you
throw them away?

Bruce

I have one of the original IBM PCs which came with two floppy drives
(no HDD) sitting in my closet gathering dust. I bought it used back in
1989 or so -- couldn't find any programs (except shareware) to buy
which would run on it, though, since everyone had already started
using Windows or some other OS with a graphical user-interface (OS/2
was pretty popular back then).

It had a monochrome screen and a Hercules graphic card as well as a
RAM extension board which boosted the total RAM from 64K (not MBg)
to a whopping 256K! I bought a used 40MB (not GBg) hard drive at a
liquidation sale. Unfortunately, I didn't have any mounting rails to
put it in the 2nd floppy bay, but found that it would fit if I
fastened one side with screws and shored up the other with stiff
cardboard g

It served me well for about 5 years, which seems to be the natural
life of most PC hardware today regardless of OS or brand. It probably
still works, but I put it out to pasture when the HDD wore out and
bought a Windows machine.

--
Bob Hairgrove

Alan Williams May 17th 05 09:33 AM

Phil DeMayo wrote:

On Mon, 16 May 2005 19:33:04 -0700, jeff wrote:

Considering that the mint will probably make a billion of these things,
and - because of roll-hoarding - many will remain uncirculated, it's
hard to imagine that bisons will be worth much any time soon.

Last year's figures (combined Philly and Denver):

733.44 million Peace Medal Type
711.60 million Keelboat

Which falls far below even *my* elevated standard for Nickel Hoarding!
(One piece or fewer per capita the present US population). First year
types don't typically elevate due to extensive hoarding anyway! See the
plethora of BU 1909 Lincolns, 1964 Kennedy's, etc, etc, etc. ;-)

A good question to ask...when does common sense overcome the common
perception? Of late I've noticed a lot of high grade 1999 Statehood
Quarters appearing in my change. So...five to six years might be a
baseline figure for how long Joe Public is willing to 'sit on his treasure'.

Alan
'the Morgan people understand'

Alan Williams May 17th 05 09:40 AM

Bruce Remick wrote:

"Anita" wrote in message
[...]

I think that if 40 years ago someone seriously suggested that beer cans
and baseball cards would bring 'serious money' you'd have seen the white
jacket and buttefly net people in short order. ;-)

Alan
'diagram that sentence!'

PPL4against May 17th 05 12:08 PM

said:

I have some of those, many still in use. (=)

The sad thing is, that was only a partial list. I've got a spare
bedroom crammed with obsolescent computer equipment I've started to
inventory. I haven't even started on the boxes upon boxes of
software, mostly Commodore.

The very first Apple PC is worth over 10 grand.
Got one of those?

Bruce Remick May 17th 05 12:32 PM

"Alan Williams" wrote in message
Bruce Remick wrote:

"Anita" wrote in message
[...]

I've got a bunch of both, although I admit I didn't have the foresight 40 years
ago to predict the premium that some beer cans, cereal boxes, McDonald's
giveaways, cigarette packs, etc. would bring today. I was too busy putting away
BU rolls of the new 1959-D pennies, which I KNEW would make me the envy of my
fellow collectors forty years later.

Bruce
'eat your hearts out'

Jonathan_ATC May 17th 05 01:39 PM

"stonej" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have no illusions of great future value but I like to collect AOL
discs in their various packaging. I don't know how many I have but it
is a lot of them. Just picked up one at Burger King for AOL 9.0
promoting
the new Star Wars movie. It will be interesting to see how many
different ones I can find over the years.

One person has around 1000 different ones and there is some collector
demand as they are being sold on Ebay.

That is hilarious! I collect the AOL disks and packaging TOO!!! I was
going to make a wall covered with the disks someday, but never have yet
gotten around to it. My favorites are the thin metal cases. They can also
be used to sort coins, keep them flat and store them while I am not looking
at them.
My wife tried to get me to toss them out last weekend. I told her I was not
ready to do that. I have a spindle I made from a board and dowel rod 12"
high that is full of the disks.
--
Jonathan

Jonathan_ATC May 17th 05 01:50 PM

"stonej" wrote in message
oups.com...
Don't laugh, something from the early days of AOL probably is already
selling on Ebay.

Actually, there are 59 AOL CD items listed on eBay and only two of them have
bids. $5.00 for one and $0.99 for the other. Funny, I had thought they'd
be worth something someday too. I guess this is not "someday" yet. ;o)

--
Jonathan