Pakistan "overprint" ?

Old March 21st 08, 08:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
malcolm

Default Pakistan "overprint" ?

I have a 1961 Pakistan Service overprint which appears to have an
additional "overprint" or perhaps a cancellation applied in blue ink
by a rubber stamp (?).

The stamp is off-paper but the op reads AFFARABA - but there may be
additional letters before or after as the word extends over the
complete stamp. It is only a 15p stamp so unless it is from an
envelope with several stamps it is unlikely to be "registered" which
was my first thought. Incidentally there is no "conventional" black
postmark thereon.

Any information,inspiration or just plain guesses gratefully
received !

Malcolm
Old March 21st 08, 02:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Mar 21, 4:27 am, malcolm wrote:
I have a 1961 Pakistan Service overprint which appears to have an
additional "overprint" or perhaps a cancellation applied in blue ink
by a rubber stamp (?).

The stamp is off-paper but the op reads AFFARABA - but there may be
additional letters before or after as the word extends over the
complete stamp. It is only a 15p stamp so unless it is from an
envelope with several stamps it is unlikely to be "registered" which
was my first thought. Incidentally there is no "conventional" black
postmark thereon.

Any information,inspiration or just plain guesses gratefully
received !

Malcolm

Could you possibly post a hi-res scan to cjoint or similar site?
Blair
Old March 21st 08, 05:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
malcolm

Hi Blair

Sorry no can do. My scanner is connected, the scanner programme is up
and running but for some reason it will not work. I am waiting for the
non-resident "boffin" ( son's girlfriend !!) to come and look, but for
your further info. the mark is upper case ( capital ) letters and is
reminiscent of the "Druchsache" and "prioritee" markings applied by
some European countries but is across the stamp rather than on an
envelope - but this could be deliberate or accidental - letters are
4.5 mm tall and in "stamp-pad" blue ink - it is definitely hand-
stamped IMHO. I am puzzled why the marking is in "English" rather than
Bengali script - as an official stamp surely it's use is likely to be
restricted to within Bangladesh as a communication from a Goverment
department to a company or individual ?

Malcolm

Old March 21st 08, 09:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Mar 21, 1:44 pm, malcolm wrote:
[...]

During the early Bangladesh days, there were literally hundreds
of locally made hand stamps used on Pakistan stamps using
whatever stamp pads were to hand. These were done in English,
or Bengali, or bilingually. There were probably a multitude of
similar devices used (with other than Bangladesh) and I have
seen no comprehensive catalogue of this material.

Blair

Old March 22nd 08, 02:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 14:40:56 -0700 (PDT), "Blair (TC)"
wrote:

Yep. Too many jokes sent out in e-mails. His computer is backing up
and overflowing...

Old March 22nd 08, 04:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

wrote:

Yep. Too many jokes sent out in e-mails. His computer is backing up
and overflowing...

Hardly. I was updating the subject lines with (RCSD).

Old March 22nd 08, 06:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
malcolm

Blair

Re. The early handstamps - all the info I have ( which I admit is
sparse) indicates that these were used as o/p s on Pakistan stamps in
the very early days of independence. The period is right the stamp
being from the last redrawn series of this long-running definitives
set. This particular stamp was first issued in 1964 and the next
definitives were not issued until after Bangladeshi independence and
so the stamp would have been in stock in East Pakistan post offices at
the time.

While this is not conclusive your theory is very attractive, and it
now falls to me to ascertain whether the lettering is an extract of
the Bengali word for independence or a town or village in Bangladesh.

Although this is a handstamp it appears to be quite neat and has been
applied with some care, and is quite even and regular and not the
result of a "John Bull" type child's printing set, but a quite
sophisticated handstamp as used in government or commercial offices
for example. The ink on the otherhand is of the appearance of ordinary
"pen" ink and not ink-pad ink if you get my drift? - so this again
would accord with your theory- a quite good quality handstamp ( or at
least the letters thereof ), from an established office coupled with a
possible shortage of "consumables" as experienced in a war zone.

As I said this is not conclusive but it points me in a possible
fruitful direction for further research. If I find out anything
definite I will post again.

Malcolm

Old March 22nd 08, 06:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

"malcolm"

FYI
Blair's earlier reponse on these 30th July 2006
there may be something to assist.

MP wrote:

Hi,

I have some Pakistan stamps, overprinted with "Bangladesh" in different

types. I know, that they were issued in 1971 after independence of

Bangladesh. Do you know an internet address, where are these stamps

listed, with pictures, that I can separate the different types. Maybe I

can find in which cities these stamps were issued. I tried Google, but

did not find a good homepage.

Best wishes from Germany

Manuel )

Hello Manuel:

Immediately after the establishment of Bangladesh's

Government , the post office could not afford printing

new stamps for Bangladesh. Instead, they overprinted

Pakistani stamps and postal stationery with the new

country name "BANGLADESH".

(valid March 26, 1971 until April 30, 1973)

http://knegal.8m.com/2003/May/Bangla...tamponPak1.jpg

http://knegal.8m.com/2003/May/Bangla...tamponPak2.jpg

The overprints we in English only (as shown at:

http://homepage3.nifty.com/~mariamma/tak-p11i.jpg and

http://www.malariastamps.com/images/...amp2_z_z.jpg);

in both English and Bengali letters (see:

http://www.malariastamps.com/images/...Stamp4_z_z.jpg

and http://i22.ebayimg.com/03/i/07/99/f7/f8_1.JPG) ;

and in Bengali letters only (see:

http://i6.ebayimg.com/01/i/07/ca/e4/9a_1_b.JPG ).

In the latter half of 1972, new Bangladeshi stamps were

provided to post offices in the country. As a result, in 1973,

Pakistani stamps, even with "BANGLADESH" overprints,

became invalid throughout Bangladesh.

I also collect these overprints and have several hundred varieties.

Unfortunately. I could not find a good web site (I was looking a

couple of years ago) or catalogue of these overprints.

I am not sure if Stanley Gibbons Stamp Catalogue:

Bangladesh, Pakistan & Sri Lanka, lists the overprints.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bangladesh-Pakis...QQcmdZViewItem

None of the catalog makers seem to want to touch these

stamps because of the major scope of cataloging the overprints.

There were 14 former eastern districts plus a few others and

all issued their own handstamps. I guess, that when order was

restored and regular stamps were issued, they threw away the

overprint devices and thus no combined record of who or where

had that particular handstamp seems to exist.

Blair

Old March 22nd 08, 07:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

I suspect it might be part of 'Muzaffarabad' - the capital of Azad
(Pakistani-controlled) Kashmir. Though quite why it should have been
stamped a stamp, I can't suggest.

Tony of the Antipodes