One Shilling 1956 coin. Two Shillings 1961 coin.

Old February 8th 06, 06:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default One Shilling 1956 coin. Two Shillings 1961 coin.

a. How many pence?... is this coin
One Shilling 1956+Fid Def+
Elizabeth.II.Dei.Gratia.Regina+
b. What part of a pound is this coin?...
c. What is the exchange value in usa currency?...
d. What is the range of collectable values?...

d. How many pence?... is this coin
Two Shillings 1961 Fid: Def:
Elizabeth.II.Dei.Gratia.Regina+
e. What part of a pound is this coin?...
f. What is the exchange value in usa currency?...
g. What is the range of collectable values?...

h. Around the web what web links have this information
for these coins?...
Old February 8th 06, 06:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On 08 Feb 2006 00:31:12 -0500, Don Saklad
wrote:

a. How many pence?... is this coin
One Shilling 1956+Fid Def+
Elizabeth.II.Dei.Gratia.Regina+

12 pence to the shilling

b. What part of a pound is this coin?...

1/20

c. What is the exchange value in usa currency?...

In 1956, the exchange rate was $2.80=£1, so about $.14. Now, it's
about a dime

d. What is the range of collectable values?...

Depending on condition, probably between about $.20 and $12. There
were two varieties that year (you can tell the variety by looking at
the reverse), but they're valued about the same.

d. How many pence?... is this coin
Two Shillings 1961 Fid: Def:
Elizabeth.II.Dei.Gratia.Regina+

Two shillings=24 pence

e. What part of a pound is this coin?...

1/10
f. What is the exchange value in usa currency?...

In 1961, about $.28. Today, about $.20

g. What is the range of collectable values?...

Again depending on condition, between about $.25 and $5.

h. Around the web what web links have this information
for these coins?...

Our own Tony Clayton has done a ton (several tons, really) of
research on British coins. You'll find his webpage at
http://www.tclayton.demon.co.uk/coins.html. That was the site I used
for the numismatic values.

hope this helps,
Scott

Old February 8th 06, 07:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Thank you Scott Stevenson!

How would a neophyte, or maybe a more intermediate type, look at the
coins with 8x power magnification and determine the condition?...

What web links have that kind of information?...

I would be interested in bartering,
a swop of some kind for either or both coins!

Old February 8th 06, 07:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

For the 1956 English Shilling, here's a similar image of the reverse
http://www.tclayton.demon.co.uk/pics/qe/qes53e.jpg

Old February 8th 06, 08:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On 7 Feb 2006 22:26:55 -0800, "don warner saklad"
wrote:

Thank you Scott Stevenson!

How would a neophyte, or maybe a more intermediate type, look at the
coins with 8x power magnification and determine the condition?...

Don,

Most of the time, you probably don't need magnification for grading
coins. Magnification is usually only helpful if a coin is right on
the edge between a couple of grades, and you need to look at it more
closely, or if you think a coin might be a "variety".

For example: Say that I've got a coin that I think is Uncirculated,
but it might have the tiniest trace of wear on the high points of the
design. If it has wear, it's not Uncirculated, so I might use a
magnifier to look more closely at the high points of the coin.

US coins used to have the mintmarks punched in by hand, and
sometimes the punches wouldn't exactly line up, so there would be a
double image of the mintmark on the coin. You might have to look at
the mintmark with magnification to see that.

The basic order of grades, from best to worst, is:

Uncirculated
Extremely Fine (EF)
Very Fine (VF)
Fine (F)
Very Good (VG)
Good (G)
Fair
Poor

In the US, we have an additional grade of "About Uncirculated",
which fits between Uncirculated and Extremely Fine, and "About Good",
which fits between Good and Fair

The subject of grading gets very complicated, very quickly :-)

The US grading system is a little different from what is used in
most of the world. In addition to the common "word descriptions",
most US collectors and dealers use a 70 point scale, with "70" being
an absolutely perfect coin with no wear, and no nicks or marks on it,
and "1" being basically a slick metal disc that you can identify.

Most of the rest of the world uses just the "word descriptions",
although they might also use a modifier. For example, a coin that is
in much better shape than the typical "Very Fine" coin, but one that
isn't good enough to be graded "Extremely Fine" might be graded in the
UK as a "good Very Fine", while in the US it might be called "VF-35".

It's also tougher because each design of coin wears differently, so
unless you're talking about a specific coin, descriptions of what
makes a certain grade have to be pretty general.

I've always thought that a good way to start is with your pocket
change. Take the coins of one denomination, and put them in order of
wear from the least worn to the most worn. Then take one of the
grading guides (I'd probably use Tony's) and try to match them up with
the descriptions

What web links have that kind of information?...

Tony's got a description of grades at
http://www.tclayton.demon.co.uk/coins.html#grade

For US coins (this will also help you see how coins are graded
differently in different countries), PCGS (Professional Coin Grading
Service) has grading descriptions at
http://www.pcgs.com/prices/howtouse.chtml

You can also go to http://www.predecimal.com/coingrading.htm, which
has some pictures of coins in the various grades.

I would be interested in bartering,
a swop of some kind for either or both coins!

Actually, I can use both of those, if you'd like to trade. Send me
an e-mail (take out all the captial letters in the address), and let
me know what you're looking for.

take care,
Scott
Old February 9th 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Shillings. Pence.

What's could be range of collectble values for these 21 coins?

Quantity Coin Years
1. 1 2shillings 1961
2. 1 1shilling 1956 English 3 leopards

3. 3 20pence 1989 1983 1982
4. 4 5pence 1990
5. 5 2pence 1989 1988 1988 1986 1986
6. 2 1pence 1989

7. 1 10new pence 1969
8. 1 5new pence 1969
9. 1 2new pence 1975
10. 2 1new pence 1971
21 coins

Old February 9th 06, 04:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

What's could be range of collectable values for this
group of 21 coins?

Old February 9th 06, 03:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

All these coins are current legal tender in the UK

Current face value is 120 pence or £1.20p "One Pound & Twenty Pence"

Todays US Dollar rate makes this lot ( Unless all in Proof,
Uncirculated or Mint condition ) worth ......

1.20 GBP
United Kingdom Pounds = 2.09031 USD
United States Dollars
1 GBP = 1.74193 USD 1 USD = 0.574077 GBP

Old February 9th 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

As far as I recall, a shilling was substituted by
the 5 pence coin. That would make it 1/20 of a pound in that case. As
far as Elizabeth II. DEI. GRATIA. REGINA. DEI=GOD, GRATIA=GRACE,
REGINA=QUEEN. Queen Elizabeth by the grace of God. I have collected
many shillings myself. I probably have 100-200 of them. I have a
large collection of 2 shillings and one shillings including three
albums of one shillings in chronological order. I also happen to like
half Crowns and have a couple of dozen of those. Those are more
expensive than shillings. There is a book about shillings. I do know
that Austria is the only other European country to use shillings until
it adopted the EURO.