New find and info needed !!!

Old July 20th 04, 07:36 PM
BookEditions

Default New find and info needed !!!

Today I I bought, for $20, the 25 volume "The Works of Washington Irving."
While I feel that the purchase was great in and of itself, I would appreciate
any information members of this group could provide in response to the
following description. I have check on ABE, Bookfinder and Ebay and found some
listings which come close, but do not exactly match my copies. One reason may
be that the set I bought today is a limited edition:

Publisher & Edition: after two blank pages, the first printed page states "Of
the Joseph Jefferson Edition of the Works of Washington Irving there have been
printed two hundred and fifty sets each of which is numbered. Easch set bears
an original autograph signature of Mr. Jefferson. The number of this set is...
P.P. Putnams Sons." The number written in for the set is 17. I have not found
the signature yet but haven't looked in all volumes. Next found is a color
Illustration, and facing this is the title page in red and black ink with some
scrollwork: "The Works of Washington Irving Joseph Jefferson Edition G.P.
Putnam's Sons New York London." There then follows the title page for each
volume, and on the reverse of each of these pages is printed "The Knickerbocker
Press, New York."

The books: each volume measures about 9"x6". The covers appear to be part cloth
and part leather, but I am having troub;e determining this. The spine is five
raised eadges and is of the same dark blue leather (?) as part of the front
cover (the cloth part of the covers is a light blue). The spine has four
sections which are gold rectangles in decreasing sizes within themselves. The
name "Washington Irving: and the volumes title and number (where indicated) are
also in gold. The fron and back covers have the dark blue leather extending
about 2" from the spine, with the light blue cloth covering the rest except for
a triangular corner (upper right and bottom right) which are in the blue
leather. Page ends are rough cut and some are still unseperated. The top pages
are gilt. Each page within the volumes has the text outlined in a brown
scrollwork pattern which is different for several pages, and then eventually
repeated. There are black and white illustrations throughout each volume, which
interestingly enough appear to be laid in or pasted to the page. Each
illustration is protected by a thin paper overleaf. The inside boards are plain
green in color.

I have not been able to find a publication date.

Any information will be appreciated as to the Joseph Jefferson edition, date,
value, etc. Some of the non-matching edtions found on Bookfinder show a 20
volume in 10 volumes, but in black leather ($149.95) and a Joseph Jefferson
edition (but in 10 volumes and in "full blue polished morocco" bound by
Trautz-Bauzonnet Bindery for $3,000. BTW I have not found any reference to the
binder.

Thanks in advance. This is certainly one of my most interesting finds and I
llok forward to hearing fom those of you who have been so helpful in the past.
Les
Old July 20th 04, 08:33 PM
BookEditions

Some addtional information just found on my Washington Irving inquiry:

While looking at some of the volumes I found that EACH individual page has an
impression which is better seen when the page is held to the light. The
impression consists of the names Irving and Jefferson, and they are seperated
by an artiistic impression which looks to be a stork or other bird over some
initials (I think). The name and bird impressions are reversed, as if you would
need to reflect them in a mirrir in order to see them correctly. I should also
note that the paper itself is think and has a definate texture to it. As noted
before, the edges are rough cut, but only on the end and bottom edges; the top
edge has the gilt I mentioned.
The plot thickens...
Les