Just Curious

Old December 27th 03, 06:13 PM
LN in DC

I collect Panama Canal Zone, military mail of Guantanamo Base, US
military mail form former Caribbean bases (Antigua, incl Bermuda,
etc.) and US marine corps operations in Mexico. Do they count?
LN in DC

On 27 Dec 2003 14:26:48 -0800, (Jerry
Bodoff) wrote:

Hi,

Happy New Year to everyone in RCSD.

I have been reading this group for a number of weeks now. I have made
a few comments but mainly reading. I have noticed that everyone here
seems to collect Great Britain, Canada, Europe, Australasia, United
States, etc.. Does anyone collect anything south of Panama, i.e.
South America? I am also curious if anyone collects Central Anmerica,
including Mexico.

P.S. Do not use my e-mail address as it is a dummy account that I
turn on and off for newsgroups.

Jerry B.

Old December 27th 03, 11:22 PM
Tom Loepp

Jerry Bodoff wrote:

Hi,

Happy New Year to everyone in RCSD.

I have been reading this group for a number of weeks now. I have made
a few comments but mainly reading. I have noticed that everyone here
seems to collect Great Britain, Canada, Europe, Australasia, United
States, etc.. Does anyone collect anything south of Panama, i.e.
South America? I am also curious if anyone collects Central Anmerica,
including Mexico.

P.S. Do not use my e-mail address as it is a dummy account that I
turn on and off for newsgroups.

Jerry B.

Thanks Jerry,
I have a Brazilian collection- mostly 19th century and have been looking
for those rarer perforations. I like (19th century) South America,
Central, and Mexico because the stamps are beautiful, different
(unusual), and for the most part, inexpensive. Of Mexico, I look for old
covers and cards (postal stationary). My long term goal is to have
something on every country of the 19th century. I cut the albums off at
1900 OR up to and including wherever the stamps look great, no hard fast
rule.
All the best to everyone in the New Year,
-- Tom Loepp

Website: http://loepp.home.mindspring.com/tom/

Old December 28th 03, 04:11 AM
Frank Emanuel

Wow, I just sorted through a box of SA I bought many moons ago. I have
Chile, Peru and Columbia in albums and found lots of nice ones to check in
this box. I plan on all of SA as well as CA - just so I cover off the
Americas. Although I am less keen on US.

So to answer your question - I do.

Frank

om...

Old December 28th 03, 10:11 PM
TC

"Jerry Bodoff" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

Happy New Year to everyone in RCSD.

I have been reading this group for a number of weeks now. I have made
a few comments but mainly reading. I have noticed that everyone here
seems to collect Great Britain, Canada, Europe, Australasia, United
States, etc.. Does anyone collect anything south of Panama, i.e.
South America? I am also curious if anyone collects Central Anmerica,
including Mexico.

P.S. Do not use my e-mail address as it is a dummy account that I
turn on and off for newsgroups.

Jerry B.

Jerry:

Like many here, I started by collecting worldwide. Thus I
have many cheap or middle range South and Central America.

However, being in Canada, I later specialized in British
Commonwealth (due to limited $$$).

Even later, I "narrowed down" to stamps, covers, and postal
history of Yemen, Aden, Rhodesia UDI period, railway
themeatics (including GB railway letters, Canada and US RPOs).

I also collect anything that I see that interests me.

Every year or so, Linn's, the ATA, the APS, and other groups
survey their subscribers/members as to the countries / themes
that they collect.

Results give you a rough idea of the most popular countries
and topics. Remember many people have South and Central
American topical stamps in their collections.

Also, the members of RCSD do not represent the world population.
Access to computers, telecommunications, and thus the Internet
(including Usenet [ie RCSD and other news groups]) is not global.
First world countries have an advantage in all of these areas.

Surveys on Internet access in terms of percent of population
(excluding governments) show that, globally, the areas
with highest access a

- North America (US, Canada)
- Europe (western higher % than eastern)
- Australasia (Australia, NZ)
- East Asia (Japan, Korea, Singapore / Malaysia, Taiwan)
- Africa (primarily South Africa and Egypt)

Lower down the list we find.

- S America (primarily Brazil, Venezuela)
- Central America (primarily Mexico)

The following may be of interest.

Table 1: Top 10 Internet domain names per capita
Rank Country Population (000s)
1998 Internet Hosts, July 1999
Total % of Population

1 Niue (.nu) 2 6,745 337.3%
2 Finland (.fi) 5,154 577,029 11.2%
3 Iceland (.is) 276 24,729 9.0%
4 Norway (.no) 4,446 335,898 7.6%
5 Sweden (.se) 8,854 515,031 5.8%
6 Denmark (.dk) 5,299 287,273 5.4%
7 Australia (.au) 18,709 907,637 4.9%
8 New Zealand (.nz) 3,899 182,021 4.7%
9 Canada (.ca) 30,300 1,294,447 4.3%
10 Netherlands(.nl) 15,742 637,591 4.1%
Source: ITU adapted from Internet Software Consortium
(http://www.isc.org/)

.................................................. .......

Table 2: Internet users in Western Europe Country (000s)
Date As % of Population Sample Age Source

Spain 2,830 Nov-99 7.2% 14+ AUI
France (a) 5,660 Nov-99 9.5% 15+ Médiangles
Austria 858 Sep-99 10.5% 14+ ORF
Ireland (b) 444 Oct-99 12.1% adults Amárach
UK 12,500 Oct-99 21.2% 16+ CommerceNet
Finland (c) 1,964 Nov-99 38.1% 15-74 TOY
Sweden 3,630 Nov-99 41.0% 12-79 SIFO

Note: (a) 6.3 million including public access points
(e.g., cybercafes) and access from friends' houses.
(b) "Regular" users. (c) "Sometimes used Internet."
Source: ITU adapted from sources shown.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ''''

Table 3: Internet subscribers Country
Subscribers Per 100 inhabitants Source

Singapore 394,000 12.45 Statistics Singapore.
National statistical agency.
Hong Kong 616,436 9.22 OFTA.
Telecom regulator.
Belgium 302,435 2.98 Belgium ISP Association.
8 major providers.
UAE 66,725 2.84 Etisalat. ISP.
Sole provider.
Venezuela 166,000 0.71 CANTV. ISP.
Based on CANTV market share.
Note: All data at December 1998 except Belgium (3/99).
Source: ITU, adapted from sources shown.

Internet Access (% of telephones) (1999)
Country Have Internet Access Use Internet

Spain 13% 11%
Canada 69% 55%
New Zealand 74% 54%

Internet Tariffs