What is a cameo finish?

Old August 9th 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael

Default What is a cameo finish?

Having never really collected certified coins, I would like to know
what is meant by the term cameo when used in the grading of both proof
and mint state coins?

Old August 9th 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Michael" wrote in message
ups.com...
Having never really collected certified coins, I would like to know
what is meant by the term cameo when used in the grading of both proof
and mint state coins?

If you can picture a piece of cameo jewelry, the portrait usually stands out as
light-toned in contrast to its darker background. On a cameo coin, the portrait
is typically matte-finished and frosty looking in contrast to its shiny,
polished background. This cameo feature is found most often on proof struck
coins, especially those US proofs produced in the past 20 years or so. "Cameo"
is not a grade, per se, but is an attractive feature that can increase the value
of a coin.

Bruce

Old August 9th 06, 04:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mike

http://www.pcgs.com/lingo.chtml?Letter=C
Old August 9th 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Phil DeMayo

AlexBivin wrote:

As Bruce has already mentioned, the CAM of DCAM/UCAM designations are
usually found on proof coins. The only exception to this rule that I
have thus far found, is in SMS coinage from 1965-67......

You are forgetting early Morgan dollars which can exhibit quite heavy
cameo finishes.

Old August 9th 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
AlexBivin

Phil DeMayo wrote:
AlexBivin wrote:

As Bruce has already mentioned, the CAM of DCAM/UCAM designations are
usually found on proof coins. The only exception to this rule that I
have thus far found, is in SMS coinage from 1965-67......

You are forgetting early Morgan dollars which can exhibit quite heavy
cameo finishes.

Ah yes, how could I forget! I am sure there are others I have
overlooked as well. The Morgans in question are labeled as DMPL (deep
mirror proof like), just for those new to collecting and not familiar
with cameo contrast. Here is a question, as stated before, DCAM, CAM
and DMPL aren't grades per say, so they can be applied to any coin that
exhibits that particular propery (in theory). So has anyone ever seen
other coins (other than Morgans) designated DMPL?

Old August 10th 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
John Carney

"AlexBivin" wrote in message
ups.com...

Phil DeMayo wrote:
AlexBivin wrote:

As Bruce has already mentioned, the CAM of DCAM/UCAM designations are
usually found on proof coins. The only exception to this rule that I
have thus far found, is in SMS coinage from 1965-67......

You are forgetting early Morgan dollars which can exhibit quite heavy
cameo finishes.

Ah yes, how could I forget! I am sure there are others I have
overlooked as well. The Morgans in question are labeled as DMPL (deep
mirror proof like), just for those new to collecting and not familiar
with cameo contrast. Here is a question, as stated before, DCAM, CAM
and DMPL aren't grades per say, so they can be applied to any coin that
exhibits that particular propery (in theory). So has anyone ever seen
other coins (other than Morgans) designated DMPL?

I've seen several Columbian Commemorative Half dollars designated PL and
possessing a light cameo contrast.

John

Visit the RCCers favorite coins web page
http://mysite.verizon.net/jcarney44/coins/rccers.html

Old August 10th 06, 06:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael

So essentially all proofs are cameos? A proof fits the description.
Or is it some rare phenomenon that happens to proof coins.

Bruce Remick wrote:
ups.com...

Old August 10th 06, 06:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael

Thanks!! VERY helpful. One could say many Franklin Mint medals were
cameo because the contrast was there and the volumes were not large
enough to cause any noticeable die wear.

AlexBivin wrote:
Michael wrote:
Having never really collected certified coins, I would like to know
what is meant by the term cameo when used in the grading of both proof
and mint state coins?

Hi Michael,
As Bruce has already mentioned, the CAM of DCAM/UCAM designations are
usually found on proof coins. The only exception to this rule that I
have thus far found, is in SMS coinage from 1965-67. The description of
a cameo is also well defined by Bruce as well. This effect comes about
from the way the mint prepares the dies. When you look at a deep cameo
(I will explain the difference between deep cameo and cameo in a bit)
coin, you are looking at a coin exactly the way the engraver had
imagined it. All raised portions of the die are etched, so that when
they are struck, it leaves that frosty white appearence. However, as
planchets are struck from that die the etching will fade, making the
cameo receed a bit more with every strike until you are left with a
completely brilliant coin. This is where the DCAM and CAM standards
come in. As the die wears, the cameo is less pronounced, so a lower
level of cameo is recognized by the grading services.
I little long winded, but I hope it helps answer the question! Feel
free to ask if anything is unclear!

Alex

Old August 10th 06, 10:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mike Marotta

Michael wrote:
Having never really collected certified coins, I would like to know
what is meant by the term cameo when used in the grading of both proof
and mint state coins?

Just to add a point: what has been said is correct for MODERN coins.
Also, as noted many Morgan Dollars have cameo and deep cameo features.
The Mint was forced to strike millions of these useless coins and they
went through hundreds of dies. New dies under adequate pressure
created the "cameo" appearance of a proof-like coin, though, of course,
the coins were NOT proofs.

Proofs -- by definition -- are created from multiple strikes with
polished dies on specially prepared planchets. Proofs probably go back
no farther than the late 1600s as rarities. As we would recognize
them, they are identifiable from records of the early 1800s and
forward.

The "matte proof" finish of the early 20th century, invented in France,
and briefly popular here, never has a cameo effect, by its very nature.

(If you go to the ANA website, www.money.org, and click on the dropdown
for Communications, you can select Numismatist, the monthly magazine.
In the 2005 Archives, the May issue has a cover story that I wrote
about Proof Double Eagles.)

Mike M.

Old August 10th 06, 10:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

"Michael" wrote in message
oups.com...
So essentially all proofs are cameos? A proof fits the description.
Or is it some rare phenomenon that happens to proof coins.

Bruce Remick wrote:
"Michael" wrote in message
ups.com...
Having never really collected certified coins, I would like to know
what is meant by the term cameo when used in the grading of both proof
and mint state coins?

If you can picture a piece of cameo jewelry, the portrait usually stands
out as
light-toned in contrast to its darker background. On a cameo coin, the
portrait
is typically matte-finished and frosty looking in contrast to its shiny,
polished background. This cameo feature is found most often on proof
struck
coins, especially those US proofs produced in the past 20 years or so.
"Cameo"
is not a grade, per se, but is an attractive feature that can increase
the value
of a coin.

Bruce

If the die used to strike a proof coin has the portrait area sandblasted
that results in a cameo, the portrait is frosted and the fields are mirror.
Billy