My first jukebox bought today

Old April 2nd 08, 04:26 AM
Par4n1 Par4n1 is offline
Junior Member

Default My first jukebox bought today

I just bought my first Jukebox this evening. It is a Seeburg 1-48ML. (does anyone know what the "L" stands for)? It looks to be complete but has not seen a wall outlet in 5 or 6 years and at that time it did not work. I know little to nothing about the inner workings but I know not to put power on the juke. Can someone tell me what is my next step? Do I just start buying new parts untill all are replaced or what?
Thank you,
Old April 3rd 08, 04:06 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Bob E.

Par4n1 wrote:
I just bought my first Jukebox this evening. It is a Seeburg 1-48ML.
(does anyone know what the "L" stands for)? It looks to be complete but
has not seen a wall outlet in 5 or 6 years and at that time it did not
work. I know little to nothing about the inner workings but I know not
to put power on the juke. Can someone tell me what is my next step? Do
I just start buying new parts untill all are replaced or what?
Thank you,

Congratulations on your acquisition. Jukes are a lot of fun, and
can provide hours of enjoyment, both for the tinkerer and the music
lover. First on your list of things to do is get the service manual.
You will want to familiarize yourself with the sequence of operations
as well as the nomenclature of the various parts so you can be
helpful when describing symptoms or posing questions when you find a
willing expert to guide you in restoration/refurbishment. You can get a
service/parts manual set from Victory Glass or Always Jukin' Magazine.

http://www.victoryglass.com
http://www.2nd-sight.com/alwaysjukin/default.htm

In addition, if you are interested in reading about jukeboxes, you might
want to subscribe to Always Jukin'. I enjoy getting my copy each month
and reading the columns by Harold Hagen ("Dr. Know-it-all"), who has
probably repaired more different types of jukeboxes than anybody on the
planet! There are also lots of advertisers you will probably want to
know about.

You are correct, and very wise not to plug the machine in without
doing some "due diligence" first, as the amplifier undoubtedly has
some dried out capacitors that must be replaced before giving it
power. You can either send the amp out to be re-capped, or if you
are handy with a soldering iron, do it yourself. The service manual
will have a schematic and parts list for the amplifier, so you can know
what caps to buy, or you can just buy a kit of caps with a schematic from

www.verntisdale.com/Seeburgpage.htm

While you are in there replacing capacitors, check the values of the
resistors, some of the high-value ones will probably have drifted in
value over the years, and of course check out the tubes and clean the
controls and contacts.

Once the amplifier is safely out of the jukebox, you will probably want
to start cleaning, checking out and lubricating the mechanical parts. I
don't know if there are any books that deal specifically with the
Trashcan series of Seeburgs, but Always Jukin' offers some books of
compilations of Dr. Know-it-all's columns devoted to specific brands, so
maybe the Seeburg Reference Book #1 would be good to get.

How are the red side plastics on yours? I think repros are still
available, if yours are original (and they have shrunken or warped). I
understand they need some fiddling and trimming to fit, but the end
result is supposed to be good. The 148 was the last year for the
Trashcan (and the Symphonola mechanism), and was an aluminum cabinet, as
opposed to the wood of the 146 and early 147 models. Is the fake
"wood-grain" design on yours in good shape? If so, consider yourself
lucky. Is it still a 78-RPM machine, or was it converted to 45-RPM?

Good luck, Seeburgs are a lot of fun, I have a couple of later ones I
have fixed up, and a forlorn 148 in storage that needs some love!

--Bob
Old April 3rd 08, 12:51 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Steve

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 04:26:35 +0100, Par4n1
wrote:

I just bought my first Jukebox this evening. It is a Seeburg 1-48ML.
(does anyone know what the "L" stands for)? It looks to be complete but
has not seen a wall outlet in 5 or 6 years and at that time it did not
work. I know little to nothing about the inner workings but I know not
to put power on the juke. Can someone tell me what is my next step? Do
I just start buying new parts untill all are replaced or what?
Thank you,

Welcome to a new hobby. Jukeboxes are great fun and give years of
enjoyment.

I purchased an older Rock-OLA jukebox last year and quickly came to
the realization that keeping it running was a little more work than I
had expected. It looked great and I enjoyed playing the 45s but I
thought I could get more from my investment. I opted to upgrade it to
a new digital interface.

Although I could have added the new system without removing the
internal record equipment, I chose to replace the entire mechanism
with a self contained digital unit (simple PC and touch screen
monitor).

It didn't take long to do the conversion and the cost was fairly
reasonable. Since then the maintenance cost and headaches have
dropped to zero.

This was a great choice for my old Rock-OLA because I didn't lose the
look, feel and nostalgia of my 70's keepsake. What I gained was the
ability to play my old records, cassettes, and CDs plus the MP3's I've
purchased online.

As a side bonus I can now listen to internet radio stations while I'm
converting my old vinyl to the new digital format.

Check out the JukeTime site (www.juketime.com). They sell a powerful
user interface that comes with a fairly detailed retrofit manual.

Good luck with your new jukebox.

Steve

Old April 3rd 08, 02:18 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
E M F

Par4 nl scribbled;

"Par4n1" wrote in message

I just bought my first Jukebox this evening. It is a Seeburg 1-48ML.
(does anyone know what the "L" stands for)? It looks to be complete but
has not seen a wall outlet in 5 or 6 years and at that time it did not
work. I know little to nothing about the inner workings but I know not
to put power on the juke. Can someone tell me what is my next step? Do
I just start buying new parts untill all are replaced or what?
Thank you,

If you remove the mech use two people!... It is quite heavy
and fragile! The juke is top heavy with the with the chassis
removed from the juke... rebuild the amp, selection unit
clean and lube the mech..............GC

--
Par4n1

Old April 4th 08, 05:07 AM
Par4n1 Par4n1 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E. View Post
Par4n1 wrote:
[...]

I hope this is the correct way to post a reply. Bob my juke looks to be 100% original. It is still setup on 78 and full of records featuring The Andrew Sisters, Bob Wells, Fats Waller, The Ink Spots and Ella Fitzgerld. As far as the red plastics they became overheated while in storage and renderd usless. The white dome is stil great in its shape however I have nothing to compare its color to. The fake woodgrain has zero blemmishes except below the button selectors where it is worn to the golden base coat of paint. There are no dents or scratches in the body and no "real" pitting of the chrome. Inside looks fairly clean with no rust but perhapse a hint of a moisture around the amp. The overall mechanics could use a good cleaning as all grease apears to have hardened. Most lables are still in very good to great shape. There are tags on the wing nuts that tell you to draw down the unit before shipping and nice lables on the back door showing the operations of the unit I also thought it funny that there appears to be a service tag showing preventive maintaince in Oct of 1953. I'll get all litature (sp?) as there are a few loose wires and a plug or two loose. I paied 450.00 does that sound about right?
Old April 4th 08, 05:14 AM
Par4n1 Par4n1 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
wrote:

[...]

Yes I was looking into that as well but digital retrofitting doesn't look to be availabe on my model
Old April 4th 08, 11:38 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

wrote:

[...]

You must love this juke you built you tell often of it

Old April 5th 08, 01:51 AM
Par4n1 Par4n1 is offline
Junior Member

[You must love this juke you built you tell often of it [/quote]

How do I clip out all the prior threads? Even I am tired of reading them
Old April 6th 08, 07:12 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Ken G.

You got a good deal . The hard part now is wading through all the other
peoples methods of restoring things .

I have been restoring things for 40 years . The worst thing a new person
to this can do is take things all apart and replace multiple parts
before it is plugged in and tested .
Many mistakes can be made , simple ones such as getting wires in the
wrong places .

The very best way is to at least do enough servicing to make the jukebox
work , then start doing restoration and check your work by operating it
to make sure those steps have no mistakes and if they do its far easier
to find them .

All the jukeboxes i have restored worked without the amplifier part
powered on so one can service and restore the mechanics and the amp
separate .

Good luck !

Old April 6th 08, 08:30 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

On Apr 6, 4:12 pm, (Ken G.) wrote:
You got a good deal . The hard part now is wading through all the other
peoples methods of restoring things .

I have been restoring things for 40 years . The worst thing a new person
to this can do is take things all apart and replace multiple parts
before it is plugged in and tested .
Many mistakes can be made , simple ones such as getting wires in the
wrong places .

The very best way is to at least do enough servicing to make the jukebox
work , then start doing restoration and check your work by operating it
to make sure those steps have no mistakes and if they do its far easier
to find them .

All the jukeboxes i have restored worked without the amplifier part
powered on so one can service and restore the mechanics and the amp
separate .

Good luck !

The exception to that would be the "Jupiter" machines (French made
pieces of S**t from the 60's.
The mute relay inside the valve amplifier forms part of a series
circuit with the mechanism, and IIRC the machine will keep cancelling
as soon as the record sets down if this relay is left out of the
circuit. (by disconnecting amplifier)

Disconnecting the valve plate and heater voltages is recommended
though, I think they were on a separate plug (its been 20 years, so
check first) as you dont want to find out the hard way that you have a
filter cap thats gone low impedence etc.

All advice I would agree with, if you dont want to make lots of
problems later on.

Another good idea, before you start is to check and replace all of the
internal mains wiring, a lot of it was that ****ty old rubber cable
(possibly with cloth outer insulation over the rubber in some cases),
with insulation that goes brittle with age, and falls apart when
disturbed, creating the perfect scenario for an unwanted electric
shock and/or short circuit. Low voltage cables (24v) seem to not
give these problems).