Travancore~one for Tony Mac.

Old August 9th 09, 03:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default Travancore~one for Tony Mac.

G'day Tony,
any comments on this one ?

6th August 1902
India 8 Anna cancelled Kollam Travancore.

On the back of the palate one can just detect the lingering
taste of Prince Henry the Navigator, as the hammer reveals the
Portuguese reference to Kollam as "Quilon"
(Don't you just love the tail on the "Q"?)

No apparent other infor on the hammer other than date and town.

Would this an common use use of high value India stamp from the land of the
coir and cashews?

Just seems odd to me, comments welcomed.

http://cjoint.com/data/ijeKk61mVc.htm

Old August 9th 09, 06:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

On Aug 8, 10:59*pm, "rodney" pookiethai@NOSPAM iprimus.com.au wrote:
G'day Tony,
any comments on this one ?

6th August 1902
India 8 Anna cancelled Kollam Travancore.

On the back of the palate one can just detect the lingering
taste of Prince Henry the Navigator, as the hammer reveals the
Portuguese reference to Kollam as "Quilon"
(Don't you just love the tail on the "Q"?)

No apparent *other infor on the hammer other than date and town.

Would this an common use use of high value India stamp from the land of the
coir and cashews?

Just seems odd to me, comments welcomed.

http://cjoint.com/data/ijeKk61mVc.htm

I don't consider 8 Annas a high value stamp.
8A was 9d sterling which could have been
from a parcel or registered letter.

Blair
Old August 9th 09, 07:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

I do. 2007 prices
£2.92 using the retail price index
£3.61 using the GDP deflator
£15.58 using the average earnings
£18.93 using the per capita GDP
£27.55 using the share of GDP

"Blair"

Old August 10th 09, 08:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

Well, as the postcard rate was 3 pies (a quarter of an anna) and the
basic letter rate was 6 pies (half an anna) at the time, 16 times the
basic letter rate looks a fairly high value to me, Blair. Equivalent
to $A8.80, with the basic letter rate in Australia at $A0.55.

Tony

Old August 12th 09, 12:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

rodney wrote:
I do. 2007 prices
* * * 2.92 *using the retail price index
* * * 3.61 *using the GDP deflator
* * * 15.58 *using the average earnings
* * * 18.93 *using the per capita GDP
* * * 27.55 *using the share of GDP

"Blair"
I don't consider 8 Annas a high value stamp.
8A was 9d sterling which could have been
from a parcel or registered letter.

Blair

Was not Regn Fee around 6d sterling (5 Annas) at the time?
Old August 12th 09, 08:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

rodney wrote:
I do. 2007 prices
2.92 using the retail price index
3.61 using the GDP deflator
15.58 using the average earnings
18.93 using the per capita GDP
27.55 using the share of GDP

"Blair"
I don't consider 8 Annas a high value stamp.
8A was 9d sterling which could have been
from a parcel or registered letter.

Blair

Was not Regn Fee around 6d sterling (5 Annas) at the time?

Blair, I think - and I'm open to correction - that for British India
it was 3 Annas around 1902. Almost certainly much less in Travancore,
which tended to have very cheap postage.

Tony
Old August 12th 09, 01:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

G'day Tony, Blair,

The Registration fee in Travancore (..and nice to see you spelling it
correctly Tony
was, in 1900-1901 3.1/2 chuckrams (from 1895-1896) 1900-1901 it was
reduced to 3 chuckrams.
This registration fee remained the same value until 1949 at the integration
of Travancore and Cochin.
(1st July 1949)

I am unaware of the comparative value of 3 chuckrams.

As an aside, it is novel to consider that Registration was introduced in
Travancore in 1865.
Paper was substituted for Cadjan leaves in 1873
Therefore the corollory is that registration for those 8 years was written
on Cadjan leaves...how marvelous!

Also is is of note that Quilon (Kollam) was from the beginning of time, an
important port
for import / export, (pearls, cashews, coir and many others) and
Registration would therefore not be that unusual.
(well, as I see it)

rodney

"Asia-translation"

Old August 12th 09, 01:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

It was remiss of me, not to mention my source,
Dr. N.S.Mooss "The Travancore Anchal" 1973
That is now addressed.

Old August 12th 09, 07:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

rodney wrote:
I do. 2007 prices
* * * 2.92 *using the retail price index
* * * 3.61 *using the GDP deflator
* * * 15.58 *using the average earnings
* * * 18.93 *using the per capita GDP
* * * 27.55 *using the share of GDP

"Blair"
I don't consider 8 Annas a high value stamp.
8A was 9d sterling which could have been
from a parcel or registered letter.

Blair

Was not Regn Fee around 6d sterling (5 Annas) at the time?

Blair, I think - and I'm open to correction - that for British India
it was 3 Annas around 1902. *Almost certainly much less in Travancore,
which tended to have very cheap postage.

Tony

Thanks Tony. The 6d was probably a later dated rate,
stuck somewhere in my memory.

One question.
If Travancore had cheaper postage / rates than the rest of India
(or at least of British India) , were they not obliged to use
the rates / stamps of British India for mail going outside of their
own territory (i.e. other Indian States or international)?

Blair
Old August 13th 09, 08:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

On Aug 12, 10:42 pm, "rodney" pookiethai@NOSPAM iprimus.com.au
wrote:
[...]

Mr S. Gibbons says that there were 28 chuckrams to the rupee. So
assuming the Travancore rupee was at par with the Indian rupee (not a
foregone conclusion), 3 chuckrams would equal a bit over 1 anna, or
around a penny Sterling. Certainly very cheap registration.

As for writing on leaves, well ... earlier, I got out the trusty
Parker 51 and bottle of Quink and tried writing on a gum leaf. Not a
great success. There must be an art to it, which I haven't yet
mastered. Or perhaps gum leaves make unsatisfactory notepaper.

Tony

Travancore. rodney General Discussion 17 August 8th 09 12:19 PM
Travancore. rodney General Discussion 33 May 27th 09 10:10 AM
discount china authentic tony romo jerseys,romo jerseys,white romojerseys,dallas cowboys tony romo jerseys,tony romo jerseys 2xl,reebok romojerseys,authentic tony romo jerseys www.china-ebay.com Baseball 0 June 25th 08 06:34 PM
Seek: Travancore Rod Marketplace 0 August 10th 07 12:46 PM
Travancore Stamps [email protected] General Discussion 0 November 30th 06 05:18 PM