Waternan Hemisphere Problems

Old January 21st 07, 06:06 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Brian Ketterling

Default Waternan Hemisphere Problems

BL wrote:
Brian Ketterling wrote:

...I was basically
trying to discern what the ink, rather than the lake
of ink in the bottle, really looked like.

And the ink had a GREENish tone with flecks of crud in it?

Ja. It looked kind of weird and unpleasant, so I didn't buy it.

...I have to believe that what you saw at Staples
was bogus Quink.

Or Quink that Staples froze out on a loading dock -- something like that.

Maybe your neighborhood Staples ordered it from the
same guy who sent my friend Bruce a bottle of washed out blue-black
Penman Sapphire.

I doubt it. They probably got it from a Staples national distribution
center, but I imagine it's possible that the corporate buyers ended up with
counterfeit Quink via some middleman, instead of ordering it directly from
Parker. But I tend to think that Staples bought real Quink and messed it up
with poor storage (assuming Parker has never let a bad batch through QC and
it never goes bad due to age).

To your knowledge has anyone else posted anything
about greenish-grey, crud infested Quink Black?

No.

The reason I ask is
because when there's a bad batch of ink, reports about it are bound to
pop up on the various pen newsgroups and listservs.

Keep your eyes out, I guess. I wouldn't be shocked if this was an isolated
experience.

(P.S. Your
local Staples must be really poorly manned

Undermanned by bored highschool students, for the most part.

or you must be one slick customer

Possibly

if I were to do what you did at my local Staples a
clerk would surely ask me what the h*ll I was up to).

I'd tell him I was looking at the ink, basically.

Brian

Old January 21st 07, 11:50 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
so what

Andy,

FYI: Whenever I have sent a pen for maintenance/adjustment/whatever, I
NEVER include a receipt or even a product card.
Any time you need to send a pen in for any reason, you call the
company's toll-free number*. They will send you a mailing envelope with
a protective case for the pen, and you mail it in. MAKE SURE it is
insured. The post office lost a pen of mine, and Waterman sent another
one.

*Waterman --- 1-800-BEST-PEN

satrap

Old January 21st 07, 11:59 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
so what

SAY WHAT?

satrap
The Diane a l'Orange

======
Harry F. Leopold wrote:
On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 19:48:48 -0600, Brian Ketterling wrote
(in article .net):

Harry F. Leopold wrote:
No, not that Diane, my Diane.
The 4' 11" Diane, who does not
do orange ink.

(If I am thinking of the correct Diane.)

I have a feeling your Diane *is* the correct Diane -- the seemingly
prosaic lines above struck me as a song lyric.

Ha, she will enjoy the thought, and laugh about it.

Either that or hit both of us with a skillet. I may be a foot and a half
taller than her, but I do have to sleep some time.

Or worse of all, she will hand me that skillet and tell me to cook my own
breakfast. This last could be fatal, I am the second-worst cook in the world.
But I do agree, my Diane would be the correct Diane, for me, and those lines
could become a lyric pretty easily. (As long as I don't have to try and sing
it, I sing like a sick toad. I expect to hear from the toads any moment now
complaining about the above.)
--
Harry F. Leopold
aa #2076

Imagine you're made of watches, walking on a beach made of watches, as wave
after wave of watches wash up on the shore under a beautiful summer sky made
of watches with puffy watches drifting by. Suddenly you spy a watch at your
feet and exclaim, "Oh look! A watch!"-Denis Loubet

Old January 21st 07, 02:58 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Harry F. Leopold

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 05:59:12 -0600, so what wrote
(in article . com):

SAY WHAT?

In connection with what? My singing like a sick toad or the lawsuit I expect
to get from them? Or possibly my getting hit with a skillet by my Diane? Or,
most unbelievable of all, that I have to sleep some time?

;-)

Or could it be that my Diane does not do orange ink?

(However I do have an orange pen, officially "red" but Parker's Big Red is
truly orange in color.)

satrap
The Diane a l'Orange

======

Harry F. Leopold wrote:
[...]

łThe price of freedom is the defense of idiots.˛ - Jimmy Dick Sheaver

Old January 21st 07, 07:09 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
BL

Brian Ketterling wrote:

But I tend to think that Staples bought real Quink
and messed it up with poor storage (assuming Parker
has never let a bad batch through QC and it never
goes bad due to age).

I'm using 67-year-old Quink right now. I have dozens of bottles of
it... all of it in perfect shape. Forty-eight bottles from the 70s are
in perfect shape too. Ink that's never been opened ought to keep just
about indefinitely. Not all ink ages equally well of course, but Quink
and Skrip certainly do age well. And the stuff you saw at Staples
isn't old ink anyway... I mean, we're talking stuff that's probably
what, less than 10 or 15 years old? That's nothing. If the Quink you
saw at Staples came in a white box and had a white label, it's a
little older (1990s). If it came in a black box and had a colored
label (label that matches the color of the ink), then that's the
current iteration of Quink. Neither should have gone bad in the amount
of time it has been around. If Parker has ever had a problem with QC
their ink, I'm not aware of it. They're nothing if they're not
consistent. One often hears complaints about Quink not being saturated
enough, but I can't recall one complaint about mold or gunk in Quink.

I wouldn't be shocked if this was an isolated
experience.

If I were a bettin' person, I'd put my money on "isolated experience."

I'd tell him I was looking at the ink, basically.

I'm going to try this the next time I shop for wine... When the clerk
comes up and asks me what I'm doing with a corkscrew, a glass, and an
open bottle, I'll say, "I'm looking at the wine, basically." -- B

Old January 22nd 07, 09:26 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Brian Ketterling

BL wrote:
...If Parker has ever had a problem with QC
their ink, I'm not aware of it. They're nothing if they're not
consistent. One often hears complaints about Quink not being saturated
enough, but I can't recall one complaint about mold or gunk in Quink.

"Little flecks of crud". Do you recall?

I appreciate that you like(?) Quink. Blessings upon its head, but it's not
perfect. To quote Richard Binder in a thread (below) on Quink:

"...the percentage of the world's manufacturers that make faulty products is
precisely 100%. There has never existed, nor will there ever exist, a
manufacturer that has never made and will never make a defective product of
some sort."

The Fountain Pen Network thread, "Quink Black. . ., Why is it the only
naughty Quink?", is he

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...pic=21839&st=0

I'd tell him I was looking at the ink, basically.

I'm going to try this the next time I shop for wine... When the clerk
comes up and asks me what I'm doing with a corkscrew, a glass, and an
open bottle, I'll say, "I'm looking at the wine, basically." -- B

It's not quite the same thing. I didn't drive a screw through the cap, then
fill a pen. I looked inside the bottles, and picked up a drop of ink on the
corner of a piece of paper. Have you ever tried on clothes in a store or
test-driven a car?

Sheesh!

Brian

Old January 22nd 07, 02:20 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
BL

Brian Ketterling wrote:

"Little flecks of crud". Do you recall?

Ok, now we're splitting hairs. Gunk - crud what's the difference?

I appreciate that you like(?) Quink.
Blessings upon its head, but it's not
perfect. To quote Richard Binder ...

Oops... I think this is taking a turn to the serious, which is unfortunate
because this thread has the potential to be a real funnybone tickler. I
appreciate that Richard doesn't *like* Quink Black in the pens he's tried it
in. I have many Parkers here (from early vintage Parkers to many vac-fill
and aero 51s to a modern Sonnet), and Quink Black works fine in all of them.
I've been using Quink exclusively in all my 51s for years with absolutely no
trouble. Quink Black goes into all of my 51 users with F and EF nibs. I also
use it in Pelikans and Pilot VPs with no problems.

It's not quite the same thing. I didn't
drive a screw through the cap, then fill a
pen. I looked inside the bottles, and picked
up a drop of ink on the corner of a piece of
paper. Have you ever tried on clothes in a
store or test-driven a car?

Sheesh!

Ok, we're back to the humor (whew!) Yes, you're right, Brian... Bottled ink
is much more similar to clothes and cars than it is to bottled wine. -- B

Old January 24th 07, 01:17 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
so what

LOL

You have an orange pen, and a Diane (All Dianes are correct, especially
those who have only ONE "N" in the name), so I guess you are an ok guy.
That Parker Big Red is very orange, but I guess that didn't sound very
macho back then. Unless, of course, Sir Parker was color blind.

Of course, you cannot put orange ink into that red-orange pen. You
have to fill it with purple.
Now, why doesn't Petit Diane like orange? I saw some nice orange
skillets on eBay...

satrap a l'orange

Old January 29th 07, 06:32 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Brian Ketterling

BL wrote:
What Brian said
about that ink at Staples is very perplexing. If you have an unopened
bottle of black Quink there, hold it up to the light and see if you
can seen anything *in* it. Hold it up to the light and look at the
film of ink that covers the sides of the bottle when you tilt or
rotate it. The film is a violet color, not green.

For what it's worth, regarding green in Quink:

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...howtopic=24181

Blue + yellow?

As an illustration that ink varies, check the black Quink he

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/pens/#INK

Brian

Old January 29th 07, 08:50 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
BL

Brian Ketterling wrote:

For what it's worth, regarding green in Quink:

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...howtopic=24181

Blue + yellow?

As an illustration that ink varies, check the black
Quink he

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/pens/#INK

Something varies for sure, but that doesn't mean it's the ink. Could
be poor reliability of the measures employed. There's a lot we don't
know about what James and Michael did in their respective analyses.
Certainly, if I examine a bottle of Quink Black in moderate room
lighting (diffuse fluorescent lighting), I see no evidence of pink at
all. The film of ink on the bottle looks grayish blue. If, however, I
hold the same bottle up to very bright direct light (Stylus Reach
Streamlight, other very bright incandescent light, direct sunlight),
then I do see pink. But you don't own a bottle of Quink Black, so you
can't see for yourself. -- B

Int'l (short) cartridges won't fit in Waterman Hemisphere [email protected] Pens & Pencils 5 August 13th 06 10:24 AM
Waterman Hemisphere opinions? RPJ Pens & Pencils 3 July 26th 06 01:05 AM
Ebay problems? Sue H Autographs 9 December 21st 05 02:20 AM
Wurlitzer 3400 problems Bob E. Juke Boxes 4 August 21st 03 05:19 AM
Rowe CD100 problems... something new KLR Juke Boxes 1 June 29th 03 09:51 AM