2004 s and 2005 s Westward Journey Nickels

Old December 14th 06, 12:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
JJ

Default 2004 s and 2005 s Westward Journey Nickels

A freindly hello ... my 1st post here. I am hoping someone can provide me
with some information regarding the 2004 S and 2005 S Westward Journey
Nickels. These would be the 2004 "Peace Medal" and "Keelboat", and the 2005
"American Bison" and "Ocean in View" designs.

In speaking with a friend the other night about these nickels, he said he
had a box of the 2005 S American Bison. I did not know that the San
Francisco Mint had minted any of these. I recently picked up the Red Book
and looked them up. Approximately 3,000,000 of each design were minted and
are shown like this ....(3,000,000). The Red Book says this means they are
proofs and not for circulation. Mintages for circulation of 2004 were approx
350,000,000 and for 2005 approx 450,000,000 listed with no parenthsis.

Does this mean they were sold strictly as proofs from the SF mint ? I could
not find any information on these mintages on the web. Are they pretty
valuable? Good luck in finding them I bet.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Old December 14th 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

The "S" nickels are proofs, mostly from the regular and silver proof
sets. Also, sets of the 2005 nickels (P, D, and S, both designs) are
still listed as available on the mint's web site.

Old December 14th 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
bri

JJ wrote:
[...]

They have an extremely high mintage and as such will never be worth a
whole lot unless the coins he has are an extremely high grade.
I think you mean he has some kind of US proof set? A whole proof set is
worth whatever you can sell it for--good luck!
They're very plentiful.