Mont Blanc Blue Black opinions?

Old June 20th 08, 02:05 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Deirdre Saoirse Moen[_2_]

Default Mont Blanc Blue Black opinions?

Bluesea wrote:

LOL! But, Black came out before HoD.

I had eel black for a while, then discovered it wasn't compatible with
Rhodia paper (which I've switched to). So then I needed another black, and
Heart of Darkness had the best label.

I like a good jet black. Not so much the blacks that have an undertone like
gray or brown.

I particularly dislike a dark green undertone.

--
_Deirdre web: http://deirdre.net blog: http://dsmoen.livejournal.com/
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"
Old June 20th 08, 02:09 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Deirdre Saoirse Moen[_2_]

Bluesea wrote:

Personally, I'd go for one of the Noodler's bulletproof or contract blues,
and mix it with Noodler's black.

I used to mix Aquamarine Blue with Black. It did something I didn't like,
not bad like globbing, but I didn't like it. After awhile, I bought a bottle
of Legal Lapis.

I use Legal Lapis almost every day, and I use Aquamarine frequently.

Here's a soak test of virtually all the commonly available Noodler's
blues.

http://flickr.com/photos/muhe-e/tags/soaktest/

That's great. Thanks.

I wanted an excuse to pare down my collection.

BTW, have you seen this page?

http://www.bunchafreaks.com/pens/Noo...YKchart100.jpg

Took more time than I'd spend, but it's a fabulous resource.

Old June 20th 08, 02:13 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Deirdre Saoirse Moen" wrote in message
Bluesea wrote:

LOL! But, Black came out before HoD.

I had eel black for a while, then discovered it wasn't compatible with
Rhodia paper (which I've switched to). So then I needed another black, and
Heart of Darkness had the best label.

I like a good jet black. Not so much the blacks that have an undertone
like
gray or brown.

I particularly dislike a dark green undertone.

Yes. You know, I typed "green" then couldn't remember which ink had the
green, thought maybe I misremembered a gray.

--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.

Old June 20th 08, 02:46 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

Bluesea wrote:

Personally, I'd go for one of the Noodler's bulletproof or contract
blues,
and mix it with Noodler's black.

I used to mix Aquamarine Blue with Black. It did something I didn't like,
not bad like globbing, but I didn't like it. After awhile, I bought a
bottle
of Legal Lapis.

I use Legal Lapis almost every day, and I use Aquamarine frequently.

I prefer the shades of other companies' blue-black better, but they can't
beat the waterproofness. It's especially good for my tea journal or letters
and envelopes.

Yes, I still use Aquamarine unmixed.

Here's a soak test of virtually all the commonly available Noodler's
blues.

http://flickr.com/photos/muhe-e/tags/soaktest/

That's great. Thanks.

I wanted an excuse to pare down my collection.

BTW, have you seen this page?

http://www.bunchafreaks.com/pens/Noo...YKchart100.jpg

Took more time than I'd spend, but it's a fabulous resource.

It's something, all right. I like the row with 1 part Black the best because
of the shading.

I was just looking at your flickr page that has Nikita. I was thinking to
buy it, but I really don't use red that much. I ordered Baystate Blue and
Kaweco EDs. I really like the way the Kaweco feels in my hand and it's a
better size and price for traveling than my more expensive pens.

Old June 20th 08, 04:01 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
MatthewK

On 2008-06-20, Bluesea wrote:

"Deirdre Saoirse Moen" wrote in message
Bluesea wrote:
Thanks, I was wondering about HoD. I'm happy with Black so wasn't going
buy HoD.

Funny -- I'm happy with HoD, so I see no reason for black.

I use black ink about as much as you do, I suspect.

LOL! But, Black came out before HoD.

I like a good jet black. Not so much the blacks that have an undertone like
gray or brown.

I've been longing for a jet black but have settled with
platinum's black, which is grey to me.

Are there any non noodlers that compare with the Noodlers
black?

matthew
Old June 20th 08, 04:02 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
MatthewK

On 2008-06-20, Deirdre Saoirse Moen wrote:
Bluesea wrote:

LOL! But, Black came out before HoD.

I had eel black for a while, then discovered it wasn't compatible with
Rhodia paper (which I've switched to). So then I needed another black, and
Heart of Darkness had the best label.

How was it not compatible for you?

matthew
Old June 20th 08, 04:07 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
MatthewK

On 2008-06-19, Aaron W. Hsu wrote:

When I say permanency, I mostly mean that I don't want it to get hit by
water and the like, since sometimes letters and things that I will write
will end up at the other end with smudging and the like, which isn't
very nice. Humidity can be really bad sometimes.

This is pointless but funny. I've smeared dry ink (lots of dye)
when trying to protect my writing with a candle.

matthew
Old June 20th 08, 04:09 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
MatthewK

On 2008-06-19, Deirdre Saoirse Moen wrote:
Aaron W. Hsu wrote:
What do you think of Mont Blanc's Blue Black ink?

What kind of pen do you intend to use it in? Iron gall inks aren't
known for being low maintenance. (I believe the cartridges aren't
iron gall and aren't waterproof.)

That is the best reason (IMHO) for gold nibs.

Well, atleast good gold nibs, but good stainless would be fine
for that too.

matthew
Old June 20th 08, 04:14 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
MatthewK

On 2008-06-19, Deirdre Saoirse Moen wrote:
Aaron W. Hsu wrote:
I would be interested in seeing some of this; I could not find anything
about damaging paper in the archives. I could find a lot of people not
so happy about the color or the gall. Would you mind providing an
article id?

Here's an example of what iron gall ink does:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:InkErosion.jpg

That is not a remotely fair comparison. If MB ink does have any
gall than it is small comparable to the old dip pen inks.
Between that and the papers envolved I don't see how any
meaningful comparison can be made.

Are there any real tests of fountain pen blue-blacks out there?

matthew

Mont Blanc #139 [email protected] Pens & Pencils 3 August 16th 06 08:49 AM
Black Mont Blanc fountain pen Ink appears BROWN on page Blarney Pens & Pencils 20 December 2nd 04 03:51 AM
Mont Blanc Jeffrey Pens & Pencils 3 September 29th 04 11:27 AM
WTB: Mont Blanc Nib Only Michael Pens & Pencils 3 May 24th 04 06:39 AM
Want Nib Only -- Mont Blanc Michael Pens & Pencils 13 January 29th 04 11:44 PM