Mont Blanc Blue Black opinions?

Old June 20th 08, 10:52 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Deirdre Saoirse Moen[_2_]

Default Mont Blanc Blue Black opinions?

On 2008-06-20, Deirdre Saoirse Moen wrote:
Bluesea wrote:

LOL! But, Black came out before HoD.

I had eel black for a while, then discovered it wasn't compatible with
Rhodia paper (which I've switched to). So then I needed another black, and
Heart of Darkness had the best label.

How was it not compatible for you?

Eel black beads up on top of the Rhodia paper and doesn't dry (or doesn't
dry even as fast as Private Reserve Sherwood Green, which is saying
something).

--
_Deirdre web: http://deirdre.net blog: http://dsmoen.livejournal.com/
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"
Old June 20th 08, 10:54 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Deirdre Saoirse Moen[_2_]

The Drunken Lord wrote:
Are there any non noodlers that compare with the Noodlers
black?

Not that I know of. For one thing, the Noodler's is permanent. For
another, the nonpermanent, available at Swisher's--I read a post on
FPN that said Nathan said that was the blackest of them all.

I've got waterman's black, pelikan black, sheaffer's black, pelikan
font india, and the two PR blacks. Maybe something else.

But as far as I can tell, Noodler's has the market cornered on black.

Others have said the best non-Noodler's black is Aurora. I got a
cartridge of it with a pen, but it bored me, so I emptied it and
refilled it with a Noodler's blue.

Old June 20th 08, 10:56 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Deirdre Saoirse Moen[_2_]

MatthewK wrote:
Is the noodlers black the bullet proof or do they have a "plain"
version. It is is the BP black I'm beggining to think I just
got a fluke.

Noodler's black is bulletproof.

What was your problem with it?

Old June 20th 08, 11:14 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Deirdre Saoirse Moen[_2_]

The Drunken Lord wrote:
Lots of people say you need to shake the bottle before refilling--in
fact, that seems to be the consensus. But I don't know for sure on
this. Mine comes out pretty black without shaking--I never remember
to shake. But it's not as black as heart of darkness--I don't see how
anything could be blacker than Heart of Darkness, but I've never seen
Old Manhattan. But my Noodler's black is blacker than anything else I
have, including Pelikan fontindia, except for HoD.

Old Manhattan is a greeny-black. It's pretty darn black, but not quite

Old June 20th 08, 11:17 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Deirdre Saoirse Moen[_2_]

Aaron W. Hsu wrote:
All my fountain pens have gold nibs, because I haven't found a good
steel nib that I liked. Are there some out there with nice response and
flex without being too cold? [Weird description, I know.]

I have grown quite fond of my Mazzuoli's nib -- I like some feedback to
it, and this one has that.

http://www.penherostore.com/servlet/...Brushed/Detail

It's a funky pen, and even though I'm not a fan of brown, I've decided to
keep it full of brown ink (I use Caran D'Ache's Grand Canyon). It also can
convert to an RB or BP, which makes it uber-useful.

Old June 21st 08, 12:16 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
MatthewK

On 2008-06-20, Deirdre Saoirse Moen wrote:
MatthewK wrote:
Is the noodlers black the bullet proof or do they have a "plain"
version. It is is the BP black I'm beggining to think I just
got a fluke.

Noodler's black is bulletproof.

What was your problem with it?

On the majority of papers I use it smears because of the high
dye content. I think that not enough of the ink is bonding with
the paper, so what is left on top is dry ink.

The only papers I've not had a problem with the
ink is mead-type cheap notebooks. I mostly use printer paper of
varying quality and it doesn't seem to like my clairefontaine
either. I may have just gotten a bottle with too much dye (I
shake the botte before filling)....then again I read on
stutler's forum that others have had the same problem with the
ink on some types of paper.

I'm probably just more picky about the problem than others.
I believe nathan designed those inks to work perfectly on
cheaper papers...just not the kind I use.

I think the only other real choice in blacks is platinum carbon
black (which doesn't make it to the USA) or noodlers. Noodlers
is the safest for pens.

It would be a great ink for me if I wrote in mead compisition
books.

matthew
Old June 21st 08, 12:18 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
MatthewK

On 2008-06-20, Deirdre Saoirse Moen wrote:
The Drunken Lord wrote:
Are there any non noodlers that compare with the Noodlers
black?

Not that I know of. For one thing, the Noodler's is permanent. For
another, the nonpermanent, available at Swisher's--I read a post on
FPN that said Nathan said that was the blackest of them all.

I've got waterman's black, pelikan black, sheaffer's black, pelikan
font india, and the two PR blacks. Maybe something else.

But as far as I can tell, Noodler's has the market cornered on black.

Others have said the best non-Noodler's black is Aurora. I got a
cartridge of it with a pen, but it bored me, so I emptied it and
refilled it with a Noodler's blue.

Thanks for that, I will definately add Aurora to my list of
inks to try.

matthew

p.s. Thanks for explaing your problem with the noodlers on you
paper in the other post. I really appreciate your views and
reviews.
Old June 21st 08, 12:52 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Deirdre Saoirse Moen[_2_]

MatthewK wrote:
I'm probably just more picky about the problem than others.
I believe nathan designed those inks to work perfectly on
cheaper papers...just not the kind I use.

When I switched to Rhodia, the only ink I had to give up was the
eel black, but I am picky about stuff smearing after it should
have dried.

I think the only other real choice in blacks is platinum carbon
black (which doesn't make it to the USA) or noodlers. Noodlers
is the safest for pens.

It would be a great ink for me if I wrote in mead compisition
books.

Or on laser printer paper -- never had a problem on that, either.

--
_Deirdre web: http://deirdre.net blog: http://dsmoen.livejournal.com/
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"

Mont Blanc #139 [email protected] Pens & Pencils 3 August 16th 06 08:49 AM
Black Mont Blanc fountain pen Ink appears BROWN on page Blarney Pens & Pencils 20 December 2nd 04 03:51 AM
Mont Blanc Jeffrey Pens & Pencils 3 September 29th 04 11:27 AM
WTB: Mont Blanc Nib Only Michael Pens & Pencils 3 May 24th 04 06:39 AM
Want Nib Only -- Mont Blanc Michael Pens & Pencils 13 January 29th 04 11:44 PM