A FACSIMILE OF SPRINGSTEEN SOLD AS REAL by an auction house

Old January 14th 05, 03:31 AM
Richard

Default A FACSIMILE OF SPRINGSTEEN SOLD AS REAL by an auction house

In the American Memorabilia auction ending 10/21/04 Lot #1 was a Bruce
Springsteen "Born In The USA" RIAA Platinum Album Award, allegedly signed by
Bruce Springsteen and authenticated by PSA-DNA. However if you look at the
following link -
http://www.rockaway.com/online/onlin...php?ItemID=608
you will see that the exact same album/award is being offered by Rockaway
Records for $750 and they state that the signature is a facsimile. The
signatures on both these albums are an exact match.
Here is the link to the American Memorabilia sale at $6060 for the Springsteen
award, with a signature authenticated by PSA.
http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/A...id=10282&aucse
arch=bruce%20springsteen&aucperiod=&auclisttype=&a uccat=&tfm_orderby=&tfm_
order=

An associate of mine and I contacted Columbia Records about this and received
the following e mail from the person we spoke to:

Old January 14th 05, 12:24 PM
pe2

I hope you contacted the auction house to let them know it is fake...

pe2

Old January 16th 05, 03:11 PM
dahoov2

First, that's what happens when a) unknowledgeable people about that
specific genre authentic and b) when they authenticate by email (if
they actually SENT or SHOWED them in person the item; that's REALLY
bad).

Second, twice I've bid on an auction and had to cancel it because I
found out the items were fascimile (ie preprinted copies). One was on
a multi-signed book for Star Wars signed by some of the top crew
(Academy Award winners) and the other was a trading card.... both
sellers indicated the signatures were "authentic". The key to ask
when you see this is "Authentic WHAT?". Autheintic preprinted? Or you
saw the item physically signed in front of you?

I have seen people selling facsimile signatures of JK Rowling, many
sports celes, Trading card artists and some in books like Charles
Schultz. so beware and don't just ask is it authentic. Because a
fascimile IS authentic. It's just an authentic signature.

WHAT NOT TO ASK:
Is it real?
Is it genuine?
Is it authentic?

WHAT TO ASK
Was this item handsigned by the person? If so, where, when and under
what circumstances (bookstore signing/record shop/premiere/for the
company....).

Old January 21st 05, 08:40 AM
CW3849

FREE autographed pictures from your favorites
http://celebautographs0.tripod.com
contact your favorite star as well. All address' and points of contact.

SPAM PROTECTION: remove the XX to mail