Time to change the definition of "coin rotation"

Old December 21st 03, 02:19 AM
Bruce Remick

Christian Feldhaus wrote:

Bruce Remick wrote:

Over the years, we 'merkins also have developed the ability to read the
denominations on the corners on our one-size paper bills, and we pass this
skill down to our young.

So that is why, contrary to those verbose US coins, your notes actually
show the values in digits?

SCNR ;-)
Christian

Can't say that's why, but it's true. Please don't blame me for our coin
designs, although I must admit I have no problem figuring out what
fraction of a dollar each one represents. Many countries, US included,
have/had names for most of their coins that bear little or no
relationship to the coins' relative value or to one another. And not
all coins have numbers on them that are meaningful to foreign visitors.
Farthing, penny, shilling, crown, pound. Penny, nickel, dime,
quarter, dollar. Can be confusing, but it does give each country's
coins a local identity. And I still kinda like them better than the
bland, easy to cypher, decimal coins with the big first grade numbers on
them.

Bruce

Old December 21st 03, 06:48 AM
A.Gent

"Colin Kynoch" wrote in message

The $100 is widely circulated in Australia.

As are all denominations.

Colin Kynoch

Not in *my* wallet, Colin.

;-)

Old December 21st 03, 12:04 PM
F B

Small size bills "lost" in between the larger ones in the wallet would
be one potential irritation, IMO. I have become used to having the tops
of my bills flush across in my wallet. Over the years, we 'merkins also
have developed the ability to read the denominations on the corners on
our one-size paper bills, and we pass this skill down to our young.
I'm curious how easy a wallet full of plastic bills would be to handle
and sort in hot, humid climates. Or even in sub-zero winters.
Bruce
I never found that it sticks together. Our $$$ when they are new, are
a real PITA.
You really have to use them to see how much easier they are.
Doris

Old December 21st 03, 12:47 PM
F B

Bruce Remick wrote:
Over the years, we 'merkins also have developed the ability to read the
denominations on the corners on our one-size paper bills, and we pass
this skill down to our young.
So that is why, contrary to those verbose US coins, your notes actually
show the values in digits?
SCNR ;-)
Christian
The newer notes are much easier to read from the back. To me, they all
look alike from the front with out my glasses!!
Doris

Old December 22nd 03, 03:53 PM
Coin Saver

Jeff wrote:

our comic book coloured money is plastic*, not paper.

and ours, cotton.
8-)
Coin Saver
Old December 22nd 03, 07:56 PM
Byron L. Reed

On 22 Dec 2003 15:53:47 GMT, ojunk (Coin Saver) wrote:

our comic book coloured money is plastic*, not paper.

and ours, cotton.

Cotton paper that is.

BLReed

To email me click he
http://tinyurl.com/nd66
For collector coins and supplies at fair prices: http://tinyurl.com/pt9r
Cool things: http://www.byronreed.com/byrons_collections/default.htm
Talk bust coins: http://www.byronreed.com/phpBB2/index.php
Old December 24th 03, 05:12 AM
Colin Kynoch

Jim wrote:

Colin Kynoch continues.....

There is more counterfeit American dollars found in Australia each year than

counterfeit Australian currency, and the US Dollar doesn't circulate here.

Yeah, must be tough to travel to every corner of the planet and keep bumping
into that terrible artifact of big hairy scrotum Imperialism. Daily reminder of
the grandeur that is the USA. As to why it's so prevalent in Oz? Could have
something to do with the heritage of the inhabitants?

No it has more to do with the fact that our currecy is exceptionally
difficult to counterfeit and the US cuirrency can be done reasonably
with a colour photocopier.

I have never seen a US note in circulation here and outside the duty
frees, banks and maybe some hotels I suspect that you would be told to
get some real money if you attempted to use US currency to make a purchase.

The US currency is childishly easy to counterfeit.

You can click your heels together and chant it with a Hare Krishna chorus and
it still won't make it so.

Any note that has maybe three colours isn't exactly difficult to
counterfeit.

Here is a link about your super duper new $20

http://tinyurl.com/2b2b6

This was what? less than a week after they were released?

Try counterfeiting a polymer note with its array of security features.

Then try doing it profitably.

Rag money will go the way of the dodo.

A polymer note makes it virtually uneconomical to do so.

News alert Colin......If gubbermint workers can make 'em, it's a fair bet the
commoner can figure it out as well.

Amazingly the attempts that I have seen have been amazingly amatuer.

Note Printing Australia had a display at a coin show I attended not that
long agao and I can tell you it was considerably more difficult to tell
the difference between a counterfeit US note than it was to pick the
attempts on a polymer note.

BTW what makes you think I am Asian?

Absolutely NO idea what you mean.

You keep calling me a wingnut.

Which is a particularly offensive term in Australia.

Colin Kynoch

Old December 24th 03, 05:12 AM
Colin Kynoch

Bruce Remick wrote:

Colin Kynoch wrote:

Bruce Remick wrote:

A.Gent wrote:

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

A.Gent wrote:

I keep forgetting that all US notes are the same size.
That really is bizarre.

Small size bills "lost" in between the larger ones in the wallet would
be one potential irritation, IMO. I have become used to having the
tops
of my bills flush across in my wallet. Over the years, we 'merkins
also
have developed the ability to read the denominations on the corners on
our one-size paper bills, and we pass this skill down to our young.

I'm curious how easy a wallet full of plastic bills would be to handle
and sort in hot, humid climates. Or even in sub-zero winters.

Bruce

The size difference isn't all that extreme - our smallest note, at
131x65mm
is the $5. No way that's small enough to "get lost" in the wallet
(unlike
some SE Asian postage stamp sized notes). Pix at
http://mendosus.com/5bucks.html
The largest, the $100, is allegedly 172x82.5mm. (Allegedly, 'cause
I never
get to see them!) That's not all *that* much bigger than the $5 -
though
easy to distinguish.

The heat/humidity question just isn't an issue. The notes aren't all
shiny/plasticky, they're more just "smooth". They handle and wear very
well. Don't stick together-easy to count etc etc.

As to the sub-zero winter problem: What's a sub-zero winter?

In your case, I suspect it's like one of those $100 bills you
mentioned. You seldom see them.

The $100 is widely circulated in Australia.

As are all denominations.

If you'll look back (above) to see the comment I was responding to, you
may see why your handy facts are not really necessary or relevant here.

My apologies.

Colin Kynoch