Now with pic! Flawed Australian Coin - Any Premium Value?

Old September 20th 03, 06:16 PM
Bill Krummel

Default Now with pic! Flawed Australian Coin - Any Premium Value?

"Trikky" wrote in message
This is a resend, since no response was received. Please go to
http://www3.telus.net/gdaymate/2002-finale.jpg
To see an image of the coin in question.

Thank you again in advance for your replies.

In 2002, I purchased an Australian 'Finale' hologram coin through the
RAM. It was purchased as a collection addition, not for profit. This
particular coin has been selling for a premium (approx 100%).

Now, here's the scoop...my coin itself is flawed. Nothing major,
however the hologram (the main selling point of this coin) is missing
several pixels, as can be seen under magnification. I am curious to know

if
this flaw would add value to this coin or deflate the value substantially.

I contacted the RAM when I first noticed it and they wanted me to send
it back, however since the coin was sold out, I was afraid I would not get
it back and therefore would be left with no coin at all.

I think the flaw will decrease the coin's value, but I do not think it will
do so substantially (of course, depending on one's definition of
substantial. The damaged coin would not bring the equal to an undamaged,
but the discount would likely not be more than 15-25%, imo). This is a
guess, since I do not know what error collectors of the 22nd century will
collect. If this flaw cannot be created outside of the mint, or
manufacturing process, then perhaps it will one day be an error collector's
pride. If the error can be duplicated outside of the mint, there would be
no way for an individual to know whether it was a mint error or not, so it
would be considered a damaged coin, worth less than an undamaged coin.
Those are my thoughts, anyway. Bill