First Spouse Gold: That was fast!

Old June 19th 07, 08:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jim Seymour

Default First Spouse Gold: That was fast!

I hate having to pay too many per-order shipping charges, so I like to
bunch up my orders at the mint.

However, this morning, I decided that the First Lady gold coins were
going to go fast, so I placed my order as soon as I could get in.

Good thing, too... Now, the site says the following:

The United States Mint is continuing to take orders for the 2007
First Spouse Series One-Half Ounce Gold Proof Coin - Martha
Washington. Although orders have already been taken that meet the
maximum limit for this product, we will continue to accept orders in
the event cancellations occur. [...]

That's ... what ... less than four hours for a sellout?

--
Jim Seymour
Old June 19th 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ken Barr

In article , Jim Seymour
wrote:

I hate having to pay too many per-order shipping charges, so I like to
bunch up my orders at the mint.

However, this morning, I decided that the First Lady gold coins were
going to go fast, so I placed my order as soon as I could get in.

Good thing, too... Now, the site says the following:

The United States Mint is continuing to take orders for the 2007
First Spouse Series One-Half Ounce Gold Proof Coin - Martha
Washington. Although orders have already been taken that meet the
maximum limit for this product, we will continue to accept orders in
the event cancellations occur. [...]

That's ... what ... less than four hours for a sellout?

I wuz fairly confident that there would be a quick sell-out
on these koin-like items as soon as the Mint cancelled the
"subscription" option for these a few weeks ago. I suspect
that they received more than 40,000 subscription orders,
and didn't want to have a "sold out before official offering"
situation ...

So I popped onto the Mint website promptly at 0900 Pacific
Time and ordered my First Spice koin-like items ... looks
like these will be quite a winner in the aftermarket ...

And kudos to the U S Mint for apparently upgrading their
web hosting equipment. It took almost twenny minutes of
slow page rendering to get through the order process, but
I did not get a single error message or timeout during
the entire session ... unlike several past first-day
ordering adventures ...

--
Ken Barr Numismatics
P. O. Box 32541 website:
Old June 20th 07, 01:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
John Ahnen

Dang! Another woulda shoulda coulda. Forgot all about the release date
being today. This pretty much guarantees that any ya'll receive will sell
on the aftermarket for 5K or better. Good on ya.
John

--
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are
evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." Albert

Old June 20th 07, 03:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Wes Chormicle

I had my order done and confirmed at 12:01 EDT for 5 ea of the 4 coins, 20
total. Worked smooth for me. Of course the wife will see the AMEX bill
next week and might have a comment or two...

Old June 20th 07, 08:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_2_]

"Jim Seymour" wrote in message

That's ... what ... less than four hours for a sellout?

Hey no fair! I was in Australia! :-D

Old June 20th 07, 05:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jon Purkey

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 12:56:48 -0700, Jim Seymour
wrote:

That's ... what ... less than four hours for a sellout?

Definitely quicker than I thought it would be, considering the price.

Does anyone know if there are plans for replicas?, like there is for
the 2006 Buffalo.

I already have what will be probably my one and only god coin, so I
didn't even consider buying the gold spouse coins. But I do like the
look of the Spouse coins and would not mind owning a replica of one or
two if the price is right, preferably under $20.

Old June 20th 07, 05:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

wrote:

That's ... what ... less than four hours for a sellout?

Definitely quicker than I thought it would be, considering the price.

Does anyone know if there are plans for replicas?, like there is for
the 2006 Buffalo.

I already have what will be probably my one and only god coin, so I
didn't even consider buying the gold spouse coins. But I do like the
look of the Spouse coins and would not mind owning a replica of one or
two if the price is right, preferably under $20.

The Mint is selling bronze versions for $3.50 a piece ...

Old June 21st 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jon Purkey

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 16:46:00 -0000, wrote:

The Mint is selling bronze versions for $3.50 a piece ...

Thanks. I can afford that. Though, I wish I had checked these
messages before ordering my Presidential Proof set...