YNA? (question for the old-timers on here)

Old August 12th 10, 05:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers[_2_]

Default YNA? (question for the old-timers on here)

In the early 1960s there was an organization called Young Numismatists of
America, and its president lived in Flushing NY. I lost track of it, and
apprently it folded. A later YNA was apparently formed in 1990 or so, but
is founder seemed to know nothing about the former organization when I
emailed him some time ago.

Does anyone know the scoop on this?

James

Old August 13th 10, 03:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers[_2_]

JHL wrote:
perhaps was q david bowers?

No, QDB would have been in his early twenties at the time, past YNA age, and
I knew who he was anyway. I supposed the name is buried somewhere deep in
gray matter, suppressed by all the junk that has since accumulated on top of
it.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

James the Forgetful

Old August 13th 10, 04:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Aug 12, 12:27*am, "Mr. Jaggers" wrote:
In the early 1960s there was an organization called Young Numismatists of
America, and its president lived in Flushing NY. *I lost track of it, and
apprently it folded. *A later YNA was apparently formed in 1990 or so, but
is founder seemed to know nothing about the former organization when I
emailed him some time ago.

Does anyone know the scoop on this?

James

I thought I'd give it a shot and Google it up. Sad to say, nothing
substantive to be found. Only thing I could find is Cameron*Kiefer's
address, which I assume you have. Trying to pull up the YNA's web
site beings you to a fat loss site. Strange.

Jerry
Old August 13th 10, 04:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers[_2_]

Jerry Dennis wrote:
On Aug 12, 12:27 am, "Mr. Jaggers" wrote:
In the early 1960s there was an organization called Young
Numismatists of America, and its president lived in Flushing NY. I
lost track of it, and apprently it folded. A later YNA was
apparently formed in 1990 or so, but is founder seemed to know
nothing about the former organization when I emailed him some time
ago.

Does anyone know the scoop on this?

James

I thought I'd give it a shot and Google it up. Sad to say, nothing
substantive to be found. Only thing I could find is Cameron Kiefer's
address, which I assume you have. Trying to pull up the YNA's web
site beings you to a fat loss site. Strange.

Jerry

Tnx for trying. Cameron is the founder of whom I spoke in the OP. I also
tried Google and Yahoo earlier today but found nothing. I really don't
remember how I learned of that original YNA, unless it was through Coin
World or some other publication back when. I used to get the Numismatist,
and it could have been in there, but I was too young to join ANA at the
time, so YNA seemed the next best thing. There coulda been dues, but they
would have had to be pretty low, maybe a buck or so.

James the Historian

Old August 13th 10, 09:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Richard L. Hall[_2_]

"Jerry Dennis" wrote in message
On Aug 12, 12:27 am, "Mr. Jaggers" wrote:
In the early 1960s there was an organization called Young Numismatists of
America, and its president lived in Flushing NY. I lost track of it, and
apprently it folded. A later YNA was apparently formed in 1990 or so, but
is founder seemed to know nothing about the former organization when I
emailed him some time ago.

Does anyone know the scoop on this?

James

I thought I'd give it a shot and Google it up. Sad to say, nothing
substantive to be found. Only thing I could find is Cameron Kiefer's
address, which I assume you have. Trying to pull up the YNA's web
site beings you to a fat loss site. Strange.

Jerry

Googling "Young Numismatists of America" came up with a bunch of websites
which reference the YNA's.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Young...rlz=1I7GGLR_en

including aWikipedia ANA site

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America...ic_Association

which says

"The YNA
The Young Numismatists of America was a worldwide coin organization that was
founded in 1990 at the ANA Summer Seminar. In its early days, the YNA was an
attractive way for young numismatists (YNs) to submit articles for
publication. However, by late 1996, many of the YNA founders were in college
and could no longer help out. The YNA slowly faded away because of lack of
interest. Then, in 2001 at the ANA Summer Seminar, the young collectors
decided to reform YNA. Within several years, the YNA once again ceased to
exist."

--
Richard
http://coins.richlh.com/MyCoinLinks.htm

Old August 13th 10, 11:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

http://www.google.com/search?q=Young...merica&rls=com.....

[...]

I agree, Richard. The link to which I was referring is http://ynaclub.org,
which brings you to a fat loss site.

Jerry
Old August 15th 10, 12:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

On Aug 13, 6:10*pm, Jerry Dennis wrote:
[...]

Maybe this is what you guys were looking for regarding the YNA during
the 1960's. http://www.scvhistory.com/scvhistory...inage0806a.htm
Old August 15th 10, 03:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers[_2_]

sgt23 wrote:
On Aug 13, 6:10 pm, Jerry Dennis wrote:
On Aug 13, 4:03 pm, "Richard L. Hall" wrote:

"Jerry Dennis" wrote in message

On Aug 12, 12:27 am, "Mr. Jaggers"
wrote:

In the early 1960s there was an organization called Young
Numismatists of America, and its president lived in Flushing NY. I
lost track of it, and apprently it folded. A later YNA was
apparently formed in 1990 or so, but is founder seemed to know
nothing about the former organization when I emailed him some time
ago.

Does anyone know the scoop on this?

Maybe this is what you guys were looking for regarding the YNA during
the 1960's.
http://www.scvhistory.com/scvhistory...inage0806a.htm

By Jove, I think you've got it! I still don't see a name that I recognize
from that era, though. I was pretty much done with coins by 1964 (the first
time), so what I remember had to have predated that. Perhaps the
organization got its start independently of the ANA, then later was taken
under its wing?

Anyway, thanks for that.

James

Old August 15th 10, 08:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

http://www.scvhistory.com/scvhistory...n-coinage0806a...

By Jove, I think you've got it! *I still don't see a name that I recognize
from that era, though. *I was pretty much done with coins by 1964 (the first
time), so what I remember had to have predated that. *Perhaps the
organization got its start independently of the ANA, then later was taken
under its wing?

Anyway, thanks for that.

James

No problem, I'm glad I could help!