Quiz Questions...

Old June 8th 05, 03:50 PM
Bruce Greenblatt

Default Quiz Questions...

I write the newsletter for my local coin club (Peninsula Coin Club in
Palo Alto, CA), and as part of it, we include quiz questions with prizes
for the answers. I thought that I'd post some of the recent questions
from the newsletter here for your entertainment (please, no wagering).
There has been some controversy over some of my answers, and probably
too many of the quiz questions have been about three cent silver pieces...

QUIZ: What was the first coin minted by the US Mint that did not have
any words in English on the reverse?

A: 1851 3 cent piece

SUPERQUIZ: What is the numismatic significance of the date July 5,1861?

A: What date is on the second issue of Confederate Treasury notes?

QUIZ: The design element of a hat on a pole appears on a few U.S. coins
of the early 1800's and on coins of other nations as well. The symbolism
derives from what story?

A: William Tell fefusing to bow to the Austrian governor's hat which had
been placed on a pole.

SUPERQUIZ: What is the first coin produced by the US Mint to feature
the same (real) person on both the obverse and the reverse?

A: New Jersey State Quarter.

QUIZ: We are 1,036,600 in number and are the last of our kind made in
the US?

A: 1873 Half Dimes

QUIZ: Approximately 200 high grade examples of this rarity were
distributed by Abe Kosoff in the New York area in the early 1940s. Any
coin without a pre-1940 pedigree is most likely from this hoard. What
coin is this?

A: 1796 Bust Quarter.

SUPERQUIZ: We are 42,728,340 in number and were produced in three
varieties. Who are we?

A: Total number of 3 cent silver pieces produced by the US Mint from
1851-1873.
Old June 8th 05, 04:02 PM
oly

Try again please; the cap on the pole is a "phrygian cap" which in
ancient times was given to freed slaves to denote their freedman
status. I hope that I have come close on the spelling for "Phrygian".

oly

Old June 8th 05, 04:41 PM
James Higby

"Bruce Greenblatt" wrote in message
I write the newsletter for my local coin club (Peninsula Coin Club in Palo
Alto, CA), and as part of it, we include quiz questions with prizes for the
answers. I thought that I'd post some of the recent questions from the
newsletter here for your entertainment (please, no wagering). There has
been some controversy over some of my answers, and probably too many of the
quiz questions have been about three cent silver pieces...

SUPERQUIZ: What is the first coin produced by the US Mint to feature the
same (real) person on both the obverse and the reverse?

A: New Jersey State Quarter.

Bzzzzt! The Lafayette dollar of 1900 has the Marquis on both sides.

James

Old June 8th 05, 05:11 PM
Ken Barr

In article , Bruce Greenblatt
wrote:

[snip]
SUPERQUIZ: What is the first coin produced by the US Mint to feature
the same (real) person on both the obverse and the reverse?

A: New Jersey State Quarter.

I believe that the Lincoln Memorial cent beat this by
40 years ... unless you don't consider a statue of Lincoln
to be a real Lincoln.

--
Ken Barr Numismatics
P. O. Box 32541 website:
Old June 8th 05, 06:28 PM
Bob Flaminio

Ken Barr wrote:
SUPERQUIZ: What is the first coin produced by the US Mint to feature
the same (real) person on both the obverse and the reverse?

A: New Jersey State Quarter.

I believe that the Lincoln Memorial cent beat this by
40 years ... unless you don't consider a statue of Lincoln
to be a real Lincoln.

Well, the obverse is not a "real Lincoln" either, technically. I'd say
it qualifies.

But I agree with James that the Lafayette buck beats them both.

--
Bob

Old June 8th 05, 07:25 PM
James Higby

"Bob Flaminio" wrote in message
Ken Barr wrote:
SUPERQUIZ: What is the first coin produced by the US Mint to feature
the same (real) person on both the obverse and the reverse?

A: New Jersey State Quarter.

I believe that the Lincoln Memorial cent beat this by
40 years ... unless you don't consider a statue of Lincoln
to be a real Lincoln.

Well, the obverse is not a "real Lincoln" either, technically. I'd say it
qualifies.

But I agree with James that the Lafayette buck beats them both.

--
Bob

Thanks, Bob. Actually, Ken's was a good catch also. How many of us pay any
attention to that kind of detail? Hmmm, I wonder if there's a teeny tiny
Columbus standing on the deck of the Santa Maria on the 1892 commem half?

.. . .

Nope, I just checked, and he's not there. But I bet he was there right
before that picture was taken.

James
'the galley slaves have also been discreetly removed'

Old June 9th 05, 01:16 AM
Phil DeMayo

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 10:41:59 -0500, "James Higby"
heezerbumfrool[at]hotmail[dot]com wrote:

Bzzzzt! The Lafayette dollar of 1900 has the Marquis on both sides.

And the Boone half would be the second.

Old June 9th 05, 12:28 PM
note.boy

Ken Barr wrote:
SUPERQUIZ: What is the first coin produced by the US Mint to feature
the same (real) person on both the obverse and the reverse?

A: New Jersey State Quarter.

I believe that the Lincoln Memorial cent beat this by
40 years ... unless you don't consider a statue of Lincoln
to be a real Lincoln.

Well, the obverse is not a "real Lincoln" either, technically. I'd say it
qualifies.

But I agree with James that the Lafayette buck beats them both.

--
Bob

Thanks, Bob. Actually, Ken's was a good catch also. How many of us pay any
attention to that kind of detail? Hmmm, I wonder if there's a teeny tiny
Columbus standing on the deck of the Santa Maria on the 1892 commem half?

. . .

Nope, I just checked, and he's not there. But I bet he was there right
before that picture was taken.

James
'the galley slaves have also been discreetly removed'

He probably nipped below decks to polish his telescope. (Stamp
collectors joke, I'm not one I hasten to add) Billy
Old June 9th 05, 03:06 PM
bgg

Like I said...

There has been some controversy over some of my answers.