Very saddened by the news of Frank Dubiel's untimely death

Old December 12th 03, 01:14 AM
Ada Ma

There'll be no more Frank to tell us what ink we should or should not use.

This is bad, very bad indeed.

I'll miss seeing his name popping up on my screen.

Bye bye Frank.

Old December 12th 03, 01:55 AM
Leonard Levy

What a sad note. I once answered a question posted here that was
addressed to Mr. Dubiel. He graciously wrote that he would have answered
the same way... This hobby shall never know another such as he.

Shalom, Frank.

LL

Old December 12th 03, 03:41 AM
David Heverly

I'm a relative "newbie" to fountain pen collecting and its been less
than a year that I've been perusing the various pen news groups. I
never met Frank, but I had come to regard him as a student would
regard a favorite Professor. Each day I would check the newsgroups to
see what words of wisdom "Professor" Dubiel would have for his seminar
students. Like a good teacher, he never allowed us to be complacent
about anything in class; always challenging our assumptions. How many
times were we prompted to refer to the reading list, which consisted
of "Da Book"?

I learned so much about pens and inks from reading his posts. I can
only imagine how many other lives he touched. I think we're all
poorer for his passing.

Class dismissed.

David
Old December 12th 03, 04:09 AM
C.

Goodbye, Mr. Dubiel.

C.

Old December 12th 03, 04:21 AM
Michael and Monica Pantano

I am without words.

I met Frank so many years ago. He was a treasure and one of a kind.

Rest well.

DovR wrote:
copied from Pentrace.com

A notice from "The Herald News" of southern Massachusetts. We will never see
his like again.

DUBIEL -- Passed away in Fall River December 7, 2003 as a result of a heart
attack while shoveling snow in the Blizzard of 2003 after receiving word of
his mother’s death. Frank Dubiel. He is survived by his Aunt Sarah (Almeida)
(Camara) Napert and cousin Mrs. Frank (Evangeline) Fieldhouse of Tucson, AZ.
Son of the late Paul and the late Alice (Almeida) Dubiel. Age 56. Private
burial for Frank and his mother Alice will take place in Notre Dame
Cemetery, Fall River. Calling hours are omitted. Funeral arrangements are
under the direction of Manuel Rogers & Sons Funeral Home, 1521 No. Main St.,
Fall River. In Lieu of flowers, memorial contributions in his memory may be
made to the Faxon Animal Rescue League, Durfee St.
Fall River.

I am very saddened by this news - Frank was irascible, impossible
sometimes but a good friend. A wonderful and devoted son to his mother.
After his mother passed away maybe Frank felt he had to be there with her.
Frank was Frank. This news of his sudden death makes me very sad. We
corresponded off and on the last few years, comparing our parent's ailments,
pen matters and his various foibles les with the pen world at large. A
treasure house of pen and ink knowledge. Da Book, his blue covered, hand
roneod on a 1917 or so printing machine, a must for every collector, pen
lover, buyer, seller and would be repairer. The finest restorers/repairers
all had Da Dubiel on their shelf to refer to.

At last year's DC supershow I bought 10 (he gave me one for free) to
sell to our pen club members. I had no trouble selling them off and for door
lottery prizes. I have two 45 demonstrators from Frank that I was gonna sell
but in his memory will keep and maybe even ink. The inscribed FP Repair and
Restoration will be a lasting memory of the man and his work.

I would like to propose some sort of memorial award by the pen
community at large be initiated for Frank.

Ideas, people.

MHDSRIP

Old December 12th 03, 04:46 AM
Garglemonster

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 08:18:17 GMT, "DovR" said:

DovR copied from Pentrace.com A notice from "The Herald News" of
DovR southern Massachusetts. We will never see his like again.

DovR DUBIEL -- Passed away in Fall River December 7, 2003 as a
DovR result of a heart attack while shoveling snow in the
DovR Blizzard of 2003 after receiving word of his mother’s
DovR death. Frank Dubiel. He is survived by his Aunt Sarah
DovR (Almeida) (Camara) Napert and cousin Mrs. Frank (Evangeline)
DovR Fieldhouse of Tucson, AZ. Son of the late Paul and the late
DovR Alice (Almeida) Dubiel. Age 56. Private burial for Frank and
DovR his mother Alice will take place in Notre Dame Cemetery,
DovR Fall River. Calling hours are omitted. Funeral arrangements
DovR are under the direction of Manuel Rogers & Sons Funeral
DovR Home, 1521 No. Main St., Fall River. In Lieu of flowers,
DovR memorial contributions in his memory may be made to the
DovR Faxon Animal Rescue League, Durfee St. Fall River.

Sad to say, but his Parker "51"s really did last longer than he did.
I'm not sure i really believed that line of his until now.

Old December 12th 03, 05:17 AM
DancingLavoisier

"DovR" wrote in message
[...]

That's simply terrible. I didn't know Frank either, but I knew his posts,
and could always count on a quick reply, no matter how easy the question, or
how many times it had been asked. He was a very interesting fellow, and will
be sorely missed by all who had the luck to interact with him.

While the 'net (and his memory) is still fresh, I'd like to ask someone to
compile some sort of archive- so that things he'd written/discovered before
they could make it into Da Book - can be catalouged for pen-lovers. I'd be
more than happy to do it, except it's finals time at my university, and I'll
be headed to the (non-internet connected) home soon.

~Dancing[in memory]

Old December 12th 03, 05:46 AM
Ed

What a shock and a tragedy. I'm very new to this group and the hobby
and I'd just recently discovered the wisdom of Frank through this
newsgroup. I had corresponded with him backchannel for only a few days
and I was looking forward to learning all I could from him. He was
very patient with his advice and always helpful. I ended up ordering a
copy of Da Book on the 5th and when I hadn't heard back from him in the
last few days, I began to wonder if something was wrong. I was so
shocked to learn of his untimely death this morning. Now I wish I'd
ordered his book sooner. This is truly a sad day for the pen
community and I'll miss reading his insightful, informative and unique
posts. My condolences to all his friends and family.

Ed

Old December 12th 03, 07:30 AM
Paul G

I first "met" Frank when he burst into the AOL pen chat scene many years ago.
I remember reading his words and comments and thinking "who the hell is this
guy?!"
In the years that passed, I got to know many Franks...and I will miss them all.
Be at peace Frank.

Pelikanyo Paul

Old December 12th 03, 08:02 AM
Ron Wilbanks

I was very sadden to learn of Frank Dubiel's untimely death. His life
touched so many of us in this hobby, either directly in person or
through the Web. I, like all of us here on this group loved to read
what he posted here because not only did I gain a better appreciation
for fountain pens, but the best inks to use. His passing will leave a
great void that will never be filled. Now he has gone to that big pen
company in the sky, where every pen writes smoothly forever.

We will miss you Frank!

--
Sincerely yours,

Ron Wilbanks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

Spam filter: -1 for the real thing!