Venting

Old June 28th 08, 04:55 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Drunken Lord[_2_]

Default FPN Dip**** of the Month: Gerry! (or Being a Guest in Gerry's ********!")

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 19:16:18 -0700 (PDT), Ananias
wrote:

Although FPN might keep living on...I dont think you will find any of
the true fountain pen people we mostly enjoy reading posting there. It
will slowly die into nothing but a kumbaya club of people chatting
inks and love. Pentrace is much more enducational and much more
entertaining to read for people who understand know and enjoy pens and
collecting. FPN will quite possibly eventually have to change their
name to Dancing Bunny Network - Where everyone can be called a back
slapper.

" Gerry
post Jun 2 2008, 04:26 AM
Group: Admin
From: Ottawa, Ontario

Sigh....

I guess y'all need a little help ignoring this thread....

Regards,

Gerry "

Of course, here we can talk about what we want, including what a
dip**** Gerry is. And there's not a goddamn thing Gerry can do about
that.

But that's what it's like to be a guest in Gerry's ********.

And, of course, Gerry would never show here, though I'd love it if he
would.

Regarding your other comments on FPN--of course, it is set up for a
big blowup, and somebody else will start some other web forum--or
pentrace will get its stuff together and get a more decent board.

Actually, we've had some decent discussions here for the first time in
awhile--at least I think it's been awhile. I had totally quit
monitoring this newsgroup for awhile, a long while. Then I checked
back after I got so disgusted with FPN

But I don't think FPN will go down the tubes. I mean, in one sense,
it's already down the tubes. But there will be people posting on FPN,
who will continue to post, just because most FPN'ers don't even know
what the usenet is and could never figure out how to get here.
Old June 28th 08, 05:55 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Ananias

Oh Dear Lord,

I agree with you on most....but I dont think it will go own the
tubes....I just think it has gotten as close as it could get to being
a good, useful and knowledge based web forum for FP's. Form here on
out its just kittens, bunnies and rainbows. Funny things is that last
sentence reminds me of old friends I have and how they would describe
their periods of drunken stupor on weed and acid. I would rather see
their bunnies and rainbows then the fantasy world most are living in
on FPN. Its like they are on a full. I think what their looking for is
www.secondlife.com life where they can escape from reality of others
opinions and feelings not being the same as their own.

Reminds me of a golf site I used to visit....bombsquadgolf.com. Thats
another forum run by a complete sofa king we tadd. He went the other
way and turned his into a business for profit. Forums seem to run best
when they are in the middle of this spectrum. I can think of ****ty
boards like somethingaweful and offtopic where they have google ads
for revenue and can still admit they have an owner and run it to their
like without having to be communist style dictators. I think it would
be good for some of these admin/dictator types to take a peak at how
popular dictators in the real world are. They are mostly hated around
the entire globe...except by their local subjects. Who truly do hate
them but know its in their best interest to keep their mouth shut and
toe the party line.

Its funny I have never had a run in or been suspended or banned from
any board, fpn included. But for some reason this type of person
belonging to the admin/mod group just totally flames me. Rory (cant
spell it like him, but I am a typical American) is the only one to
have chastised me and it was for his concern that my avatar would be
upsetting to some when I put some jesus one up. People there love
Jesus as much as their bunnies, and he had concern they would be
offended by any such use. I removed it but told him I disagree. Using
his image wasnt popular in USSR either was it?

Old June 28th 08, 06:47 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Drunken Lord[_2_]

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 21:55:07 -0700 (PDT), Ananias
wrote:

Oh Dear Lord,

I agree with you on most....but I dont think it will go own the
tubes....

I don't either, but when you've got moderators typing out posts like
that one you quoted here--it's clear things cannot continue to go on
like that without there being some kind of a blowup because it's clear
those folks have some control issues, some real control issues.

I just think it has gotten as close as it could get to being
a good, useful and knowledge based web forum for FP's. Form here on
out its just kittens, bunnies and rainbows.

You got a point. It's not like there are new fountain pens coming out
every 3 months or any new technology and you've got to go to FPN to
keep up with new developments. Once the stuff is covered, it's
covered. How many posts can you write about a Parker 51? How many
posts do you care to read about a Parker 51?

How much are Parker 51s going for on eBay these days? Maybe I'll get
one and send it to Old Griz for Old Griz to fix it up for me. He had
some kind words to say about the Drunken Lord--he said these kind
words on FPN the other day, and I appreciated that.

Old Griz is the one who came up with the plan of drilling a hole in
the rear end of Pilot Varsity pens and pouring new ink in them when
they run dry. I read those posts and thought, "Old Griz must be a
backdoor man." There's a simpler way to refill the Pilot Varsity's,
though Old Griz's way might be better--all you do is pull the feed
off, refill, and put it back on.

But there's Old Griz, drilling away at the backdoor.

Old Griz is a good guy though. And knowledgable.

And apologies to Old Griz if he didn't come with the drilling plan for
the Varsities, but I think that was Old Griz.

Reminds me of a golf site I used to visit....bombsquadgolf.com. Thats
another forum run by a complete sofa king we tadd. He went the other
way and turned his into a business for profit. Forums seem to run best
when they are in the middle of this spectrum. I can think of ****ty
boards like somethingaweful and offtopic where they have google ads
for revenue and can still admit they have an owner and run it to their
like without having to be communist style dictators. I think it would
be good for some of these admin/dictator types to take a peak at how
popular dictators in the real world are. They are mostly hated around
the entire globe...except by their local subjects. Who truly do hate
them but know its in their best interest to keep their mouth shut and
toe the party line.

There are several decent commercial web forums, but generally the
people who run the sites have done a lot more work--and continue to do
a lot more work--than the admins on FPN do. Hell, all that site is,
is some ****ing shareware hosted somewhere. Sites that rinky dink
generally don't make it commercial except for nickel and dime Google
ads. And ****, I know those Google ads aren't going to speed that
place up. The commercial boards I've been to that are decent
commercial boards, such as dpreview.com are not as slow as Christmas
like FPN can often be.
Old June 28th 08, 03:43 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
MatthewK

On 2008-06-28, The Drunken Lord wrote:

Old Griz is the one who came up with the plan of drilling a hole in
the rear end of Pilot Varsity pens and pouring new ink in them when
they run dry. I read those posts and thought, "Old Griz must be a
backdoor man." There's a simpler way to refill the Pilot Varsity's,
though Old Griz's way might be better--all you do is pull the feed
off, refill, and put it back on.

And apologies to Old Griz if he didn't come with the drilling plan for
the Varsities, but I think that was Old Griz.

I remember that post too but can't think if it was griz or
not. Somebody, maybe him, was suggesting plugging the whole
with a machine screw and o-ring. The whole idea seemed like
guilding-the-lilly to me.

I'm using my varsity pens for nib grinding practice, if I get
one I like I may refill it by pulling off the section. I never
liked those pens, too broad a nib for my taste, the ink seem to
feather on anything.

I guess they're my lamy "safari" ha ha,

matthew
Old June 28th 08, 04:50 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Drunken Lord[_2_]

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 14:43:07 +0000, MatthewK

On 2008-06-28, The Drunken Lord wrote:

Old Griz is the one who came up with the plan of drilling a hole in
the rear end of Pilot Varsity pens and pouring new ink in them when
they run dry. I read those posts and thought, "Old Griz must be a
backdoor man." There's a simpler way to refill the Pilot Varsity's,
though Old Griz's way might be better--all you do is pull the feed
off, refill, and put it back on.

And apologies to Old Griz if he didn't come with the drilling plan for
the Varsities, but I think that was Old Griz.

I remember that post too but can't think if it was griz or
not. Somebody, maybe him, was suggesting plugging the whole
with a machine screw and o-ring. The whole idea seemed like
guilding-the-lilly to me.

Yeah, it was kind of like the mad scientist ink mixing stuff, not as
insane as the ink in the microwave though. I did pull the end cap off
a pilot and look where Old Griz recommended drilling. I believe it
would work, but, yeah, there is the problem of sealing the damn thing
up again. And then once you seal it up with the o-ring and the
machine screw, you'd play hell getting back into it to refill it
again.

All you gotta do is wrap a paper towel around the feed and take a pair
of pliars and pull it off and you can snap it right back in.

I'm using my varsity pens for nib grinding practice, if I get
one I like I may refill it by pulling off the section. I never
liked those pens, too broad a nib for my taste, the ink seem to
feather on anything.

How are you doing with your nib grinding? What are you using? There
is some good advice, not so good advice on this on FPN. I like the
idea of keeping the pen inked so you can test what you're doing as you
do it. And one other thing I know about this--you've got to **** up a
few before you start getting it right.

And if the pilot varsity is too broad for you, I'd definitely
recommend your trying out some of those Chinese pens. They're made
just as good, if you ask me, as those high dollar pens. But then I
wouldn't know for sure as I've seen very few of those pens that
FPN'ers max out their credit cards on. I wonder if it gives them any
pleasure knowing they're writing those checks for credit card payments
with $500 pens.

I guess they're my lamy "safari" ha ha,

Yeah, that must have irked Deidre when that guy stained his valuable
Lamy Safari with baystate blue.
Old June 28th 08, 07:01 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Deirdre Saoirse Moen[_2_]

The Drunken Lord wrote:

Yeah, it was kind of like the mad scientist ink mixing stuff, not as
insane as the ink in the microwave though.

My favorite FPN thread was the mad scientist testing various inks with
everything up to (and including) aircraft aluminum degreaser. I love
that thread!

I guess they're my lamy "safari" ha ha,

Yeah, that must have irked Deidre when that guy stained his valuable
Lamy Safari with baystate blue.

Nah, I actually thought that was hilarious. Kind of like peep nuking [1]
for pen and ink people.

[1] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNPGKJn4E8Q

--
_Deirdre web: http://deirdre.net blog: http://dsmoen.livejournal.com/
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"
Old June 29th 08, 02:33 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
MatthewK

wrote:

I remember that post too but can't think if it was griz or
not. Somebody, maybe him, was suggesting plugging the whole
with a machine screw and o-ring. The whole idea seemed like
guilding-the-lilly to me.

Yeah, it was kind of like the mad scientist ink mixing stuff, not as
insane as the ink in the microwave though. I did pull the end cap off
a pilot and look where Old Griz recommended drilling. I believe it
would work, but, yeah, there is the problem of sealing the damn thing
up again. And then once you seal it up with the o-ring and the
machine screw, you'd play hell getting back into it to refill it
again.

I love e.d. pens but you start adding o-rings to them then they
seem less pure to me. I'd rather have one designed for it and
keep a little wax on the threads. That being said, my most used
e.d. has an 0-ring.

All you gotta do is wrap a paper towel around the feed and take a pair
of pliars and pull it off and you can snap it right back in.

I think some old eyedropper fp's had to have the nib/feed
removed to fill. Maybe if was the section...what ever it was
they were friction fit.

How are you doing with your nib grinding? What are you using? There
is some good advice, not so good advice on this on FPN. I like the
idea of keeping the pen inked so you can test what you're doing as you
do it. And one other thing I know about this--you've got to **** up a
few before you start getting it right.

Pretty good I think. The directions I'm using are in "A
Italic way to Beautiful Handwriting" by Fred Eager. The book
was $4 dollars on the internet. These instructions seem better
though: http://www.marcuslink.com/pens/nibs.html

I used a ceramic spyderco (brown) hone and finished it up on a
micromesh nailboard 600 grit.

I did the pilot purple varsity and have ground it down to no
tipping material, just messing arround. I was able to get
things to look right on paper but it was still scratchy. The
problem was I ground the nib as an oblique by mistake. I need
to dig up a decent magnifying glass or loupe and find my
finishing papers.

Keeping the pen inked was definitely helpful. Speaking of
grinding nibs I saw a quill pen making video on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAImP41BlZU

And if the pilot varsity is too broad for you, I'd definitely
recommend your trying out some of those Chinese pens. They're made
just as good, if you ask me, as those high dollar pens. But then I
wouldn't know for sure as I've seen very few of those pens that
FPN'ers max out their credit cards on. I wonder if it gives them any
pleasure knowing they're writing those checks for credit card payments
with $500 pens.

I'm avoiding pen purchases like the plague right now but I've
mostly had good experiences with chinese pens. Hero is my
favorite cause I love the aerometric fillers.

matthew
Old June 29th 08, 02:35 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
MatthewK

On 2008-06-28, Deirdre Saoirse Moen wrote:
The Drunken Lord wrote:

Yeah, it was kind of like the mad scientist ink mixing stuff, not as
insane as the ink in the microwave though.

My favorite FPN thread was the mad scientist testing various inks with
everything up to (and including) aircraft aluminum degreaser. I love
that thread!

I guess they're my lamy "safari" ha ha,

Yeah, that must have irked Deidre when that guy stained his valuable
Lamy Safari with baystate blue.

Nah, I actually thought that was hilarious. Kind of like peep nuking [1]
for pen and ink people.

[1] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNPGKJn4E8Q

I don't suppose anyone else thinks of the fall of "The
Screensavers" when ever peeps come up?

Old June 29th 08, 05:31 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Drunken Lord[_2_]

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 01:33:00 +0000, MatthewK
wrote:

How are you doing with your nib grinding? What are you using? There
is some good advice, not so good advice on this on FPN. I like the
idea of keeping the pen inked so you can test what you're doing as you
do it. And one other thing I know about this--you've got to **** up a
few before you start getting it right.

Pretty good I think. The directions I'm using are in "A
Italic way to Beautiful Handwriting" by Fred Eager. The book
was $4 dollars on the internet. These instructions seem better
though: http://www.marcuslink.com/pens/nibs.html

I read those instructions at the marcus site awhile back. I can't
remember how useful I thought they were.

I used a ceramic spyderco (brown) hone and finished it up on a
micromesh nailboard 600 grit.

Micromesh 600, as I remember, is much finer than 600 grit sandpaper.
You can get very fine sandpaper at the auto parts store.

I did the pilot purple varsity and have ground it down to no
tipping material, just messing arround. I was able to get
things to look right on paper but it was still scratchy. The
problem was I ground the nib as an oblique by mistake. I need
to dig up a decent magnifying glass or loupe and find my
finishing papers.

A 10x loupe--I'd say this is required. I've also got a 30x loupe You
can get those pilots where they aren't scratchy. And you'll get
better results on better nibs, but I lost my interest in nib grinding
and ground only one Waterman Phileas--the nib came out fine, but it
was skipping, and I got busy with other stuff and never got back to
it.

On the Pilots--try going for a stub and see how that works.

This takes more time than what I'd have thought.

I also bought a white arkansas stone. You can find flawed ones on
eBay pretty cheap that are fine for nib grinding.

My handwriting is just so much better with an italic nib or a stub.
But I'm not gonna pay Richard Binder $150 to grind one. I'm sure he
does a good job and all that. Hell, one day I might pay him to grind
one.

But I heard from somebody that Dillo on FPN does a good job too, and a
lot cheaper.

Too bad Nathan doesn't still do work on pens. He might have kept the
pens he worked on for awhile--one time he kept somebody's pen for a
year--but nobody complains with the results, including the guy who's
pen he worked on for a year.

And then there's Old Griz. I'm sure Old Griz could grind a nib, but
after the way he talked about me on FPN the other day, I'd probably
send mine to somebody else. But anybody else might be fine with Old
Griz.

I wonder how much Old Griz would charge to grind and refill six
Pilots, with his drilling through the rear end process.

I'm avoiding pen purchases like the plague right now but I've
mostly had good experiences with chinese pens. Hero is my
favorite cause I love the aerometric fillers.

Thanks for the video links and I'll look at them later, on another
computer. I'm running so much protection here I can't get a video to
load right now.