Fountain Pens. What's the attraction?

Old November 12th 07, 06:41 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Aaron W. Hsu

Default Fountain Pens. What's the attraction?

Harry Blanchard writes:

Don't fly with them

I actually fly somewhat often with my MontBlanc Le Grande and Waterman
(don't know the model), Oh, and I've flown with my MonteVerde as well,
and none of them had any problems in flight or after. Bottles of Ink,
on the other hand. . . .

--
((name "Aaron Hsu")
(email/xmpp ")
Old November 12th 07, 04:27 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Visitor[_2_]

Alan

I meant I am not much younger than your seamaster.
I am way older than mine. I would guess it is only eight years old.
Seamaster Profesional automatic in titanium and rose gold.
It has the 12 hr stopwatch and date.
One thick watch.

As pens go I have two MB meisterstrucks, one med and one fine.
I couldn't decide, so got both. Different papers call for different
nibs. am always kicking myself for not buying the Agatha Christie pen
when it was out.

My favourite pens are the ones I make. They write okay, but I am not
very fussy. I do not sell them but give them away as gifts. Some people
sell their creations. But then the fun is gone from the hobby.

However if I do meet a pen I really like, I wouldn't hesitate to get it.

John
================

AlanJ wrote:

I'm not much younger than my Seamaster either.

What's your favourite pen? I see you like MB. My current favourite is a
Noblesse, probably from the 1980s or 1990s. It's the resin one (in inky
blue). I do like the balance and poise of this thing ... it might as
well have been designed for me!

--
remove 9 for email

Old November 12th 07, 04:37 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Visitor[_2_]

The Visitor wrote:

As pens go I have two MB meisterstrucks,

hm after looking at their website I don't know what to call them.

They are just littl mb's, the cap does not unscrew and they can use a
plunger or ink cartridge. Burgundy resin and gold plate trim.

After buying them, I chucked the packaging.
So I don't really know what they are.

john

Old November 12th 07, 09:23 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
AlanJ

"The Visitor" wrote in message

As pens go I have two MB meisterstrucks,

hm after looking at their website I don't know what to call them.

They are just littl mb's, the cap does not unscrew and they can use a
plunger or ink cartridge. Burgundy resin and gold plate trim.

After buying them, I chucked the packaging.
So I don't really know what they are.

Hi John,

I've got one that sounds like your description: a small MB, with a
click-on cap, that uses either cartridge or converter. I had a look with
a magnifier, and the ring at the bottom of the cap does say
"Meisterstuck".

It's another favourite.

--
remove 9 for email

Old November 12th 07, 11:10 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Visitor[_2_]

Alan

Bingo, that be like mine!
Part of what I liked was the smaller size.

Yep, fountain pens are fun. I love using them, making them and giving
them to friends whom I think would enjoy it.

John

Old November 13th 07, 04:52 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Aaron W. Hsu

The Visitor writes:

They are just littl mb's, the cap does not unscrew and they can use a
plunger or ink cartridge. Burgundy resin and gold plate trim.

If they are relatively modern, then they could be the Mozart. On the
other hand, my first MB (which disappeared in a move) was a now
discontinued model that was slim and small, and that I know came in
burgundy. That could be the one you have now. Nice pens, IIRC. :-)

--
((name "Aaron Hsu")
(email/xmpp ")
Old November 13th 07, 09:02 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Sonny

For me, fountain pen use and care is a great hobby. It gives me a relaxing
pastime that I can enjoy at work or any time. I just like using all things
mechanical. Filling, maintaining, and writing with fountain pens is just
satisfying to me. I used to drive and repair (frequently) a Harley-Davidson
motorcycle for much the same reason. I enjoy hobbies that involve
mechanical devices that require a little effort and skill to use. I also
like gadgets. And the fountain pen is the ultimate low-tech gadget that you
can carry with you and enjoy when ever the urge overtakes you. Finally,
fountain pens are unique. There are few things that I do each day that set
me apart, or that are special in some meaningful way. If you use a
Blackberry (I do), and you look just like every other overworked office geek
typing out a response to their 25th e-mail of the morning at a table in
Starbucks. But take out a fountain pen and paper, and you're actually
writing. And writing seems so much more worthwhile than beaming choppy
little notes on my Blackberry micro keyboard. For all the awesome
technology involved in sending e-mails, making hand written notes with a
fountain pen is just feels like a more significant and admirable endeavor.

For what it's worth...

Sonny

"Dilberto" wrote in message
news
I like fountain pens because:

1) they simply feel a lot better to write with
2) I learned to write in school with dip pens and my
father's fountain pens in the 50's, so I learned to
write with ink "the right way." Teachers no longer
teach penmanship, unfortunately, in this era of expediency.
3) If you know how to write, they do a better job than the
other alternatives. Well, maybe a brush pen ...
4) the advent of a nice variety of permanent inks
has been a godsend.

I only use other types of pens
-when I don't have a pen and use someone else's
-totally cruddy paper, more common these days by
a manufacturing industry that has thrown quality in the gutter.
-I want to make impressions in paper.

My favorite pens in descending order of preference:
1) Pelikan M800 with fine point nib (also have a medium nib)
2) Montblanc M149, fine point, bought in 1973. Is that vintage yet?
3) Pelikan M400 with fine point nib (also have a medium nib)
4) Lamy Safaris w converter (fine and medium nibbed).

I am not a collector, I just use them to write with.

--
nod32; zonealarmpro; spywaredoctor

Old November 18th 07, 06:33 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_2_]

"The Visitor" wrote in message
Okay guys, I'm curious if anybody will share their reason for liking
fountain pens.

I like them because they take me back to what I feel were better times.
It's real writing. Seems more cultured perhaps.

I got wondering about this because I read this newspaper article about
people still prefering typwriters. And I though hmmm. I could never
throw mine out, although it is in a closet on the floor.

http://tinyurl.com/ynphvo

Anyway I was just wondering if anybody could put it into words better
than I?

John

I've always liked the way a fountain pen feels in my hand compared to a
stick pen as well as the way it feels to lay down a line of ink on a sheet
of paper. I also like the different ink colors. Even though I use a lot of
black, fp ink looks better than bp, IMO, and there's nothing more dignified
than blue-black or more refreshing than turquoise. Finally, it's easier to
write with a fountain pen than it is with a bp and the fp is more expressive
than a rb.

I've got a friend who lugged another friend's portable manual typewriter
throughout college. He preferred it to his computer because it made him feel
like he was really writing. He had to give it back upon graduation, of
course, and his parents said they'd get him another typewriter upon his
getting his Master's, which he did a year ago, but they reneged much to his
dismay because he still writes.

I gave him a Parker Sonnet rb for getting his Master's and the matching mp
for his birthday last year because a pencil is his instrument of choice. I
was going to give him the fp until he said fps are too messy for him. He
really likes the rb and took it to all his job interviews.

He's buying the manual typewriter that his parents didn't get him, himself.

Although I prefer my laptop to a typewriter, I still have the portable
electric typewriter with which I started college. Every once in awhile, I
think about getting a portable manual typewriter simply because it doesn't
need electricity, and I've looked twice, but I'm still sold on my fps and
laptop. Fps are soo much more portable than typewriters!

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old November 18th 07, 06:40 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_2_]

"Harry Blanchard" wrote in message
Gel ink pens are another
story, Get a good one (and the homely and ubiquitous Pilot G-2 fits this
bill)

Dress up the G-2 by sticking the refill into a Waterman or find another
brand it fits into.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old November 18th 07, 06:43 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_2_]

"Sonny" wrote in message
And the fountain pen is the ultimate low-tech gadget that you
can carry with you and enjoy when ever the urge overtakes you.

Yup. And no batteries are required.

--
~~Bluesea~~