Waternan Hemisphere Problems

Old January 17th 07, 12:09 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
BL

Default Waternan Hemisphere Problems

Harry F. Leopold wrote:

One of these days I need to get myself a nice
vintage Pelikan, the 140 looks like a nice one,
though there are several other possibilities.

Hi Harry... The 140 is a fantastic choice. Pelikanyo Paul once told me
he thought that was the nicest pen Pelikan made. I'd have to agree
with him. Now you just have to figure out what nib size you want (they
offered a lot of them... EF, F, M, B, OF, OM, OB, OBB, etc.). The
broads and obliques will be harder to find, but boy are they nice.
Even the OF is nice. I like the B as well... Nice flat, smooth point
closer to a stub or incredibly smooth italic than the blobs of iridium
they put on points these days. The 140 is a common pen. You ought to
be able to get a nice user for about $100. Try to buy one from a
German seller if you can to avoid getting one that someone here in the
U.S. reground or otherwise ruined in some other way. Pendemonium also
is a good choice for them. If you ever get to a show look up a German
seller by the name of Uhlie Kruner (great German pens at very
reasonable prices).

And I need to find a nice user Parker 51 aerometric
with a fine nib.

Tons of those around.

And then there is that ...

Hmmmm... Looks like the beginning of the end for Harry's wallet. --
Cheers! B

Old January 17th 07, 01:33 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea

"AndyH" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have soaked the nib section in clean water overnight and and jiggled
it about. After refilling with Quink black it appears to write OK
again. Writing in a soft stroking manner now puts ink on the page
whereas it did not before, and this is on cheap A4 copier paper.

Excellent. And in a little while back to trying it with Noodler's.

I have learnt some lessons here.

Always ask people to give you the receipt with xmas presents

Don't expect this to fly. You're not supposed to know what they paid.

Don't assume all inks to be the same except in colour (from comments of
contributors and not from what Parker has said).

Not even in color because different ink manufacturers produce different
shades.

The topic has also raised a question: -

--IF-- this pen is covered by a lifetime guarantee, why does the
manufacturer need to see the warranty paperwork, surely it is covered
no matter how old it is? ;-)

Yes, and if you said it was a gift, they should have honored it especially
for Christmas, birthday, graduation, etc. Maybe you should have kicked the
issue to a higher level, a supervisor, and kept kicking until you got
satisfaction.

Thanks again for the insights that you have all provided.

Take Care

Same backatcha .

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old January 17th 07, 02:25 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Harry F. Leopold

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 18:09:02 -0600, BL wrote
(in article yOdrh.1128$jG1.579@trnddc04):

Harry F. Leopold wrote:

One of these days I need to get myself a nice
vintage Pelikan, the 140 looks like a nice one,
though there are several other possibilities.

Hi Harry... The 140 is a fantastic choice. Pelikanyo Paul once told me
he thought that was the nicest pen Pelikan made. I'd have to agree
with him. Now you just have to figure out what nib size you want (they
offered a lot of them... EF, F, M, B, OF, OM, OB, OBB, etc.).

I am pretty standardized on EF or F, with M a distant 3rd choice. I like the
broader nibs, but don't write well with them other than doing signatures. I
noticed that Pendemonium has a number of 140's handy, most with EF or F nibs.
Decisions, decisions.

The
broads and obliques will be harder to find, but boy are they nice.
Even the OF is nice. I like the B as well... Nice flat, smooth point
closer to a stub or incredibly smooth italic than the blobs of iridium
they put on points these days. The 140 is a common pen. You ought to
be able to get a nice user for about $100. Try to buy one from a
German seller if you can to avoid getting one that someone here in the
U.S. reground or otherwise ruined in some other way. Pendemonium also
is a good choice for them. If you ever get to a show look up a German
seller by the name of Uhlie Kruner (great German pens at very
reasonable prices).

We hardly ever see a pen show here in Kansas, but if I ever get close to one
I will.

And I need to find a nice user Parker 51 aerometric
with a fine nib.

Tons of those around.

Indeed, which is why a 140 is not exactly next on my list. Or rather one
reason why it is not.

And then there is that ...

Hmmmm... Looks like the beginning of the end for Harry's wallet. --

Yup, and this is the other reason. I think I may try to convince Diane to get
me one for my next birthday, that gives here a whole year to find me a really
nice one. ;-)

This year she is getting me a bunch of books, but we have to wait until the
weekend to do that, we were going to do it this last weekend but the weather
was just too nasty. (I just love going in to work in nasty weather ON my
b-day tomorrow. Blah.)

--
Harry F. Leopold
aa #2076

³When I am stupid, that is when I am STRONG³ - Codebreaker

Old January 17th 07, 07:54 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Juhapekka Tolvanen

Harry F. Leopold writes:

The 200 Pelikan is a great little pen, between Diane and I we own 3 of them.

Diane who? That "satrap"?

--
Juhapekka "naula" Tolvanen * http colon slash slash iki dot fi slash juhtolv
"Yhtälailla säälittävä olen niin kuin muutkin, yksinäinen jos et tuu ja jos
Old January 17th 07, 08:27 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Juhapekka Tolvanen

"BL" writes:

Juhapekka Tolvanen wrote:

There is something wrong with some Montblanc inks, but I still find
some of them interesting, at least that Racing Green. *DROOL*

Wrong in what sense? I've been a member of a couple of
listserves/newsgroups (particularly Zoss and acpp)for 10 years of so,
and I've never run across any reports of mold or anything like that in
MB ink. Some people may find this or that color too washed out or this
or that color too slow flowing in their pen(s), but that doesn't mean
it's bad ink.

Well, if some ink has washed-out color, for some people it is bad thing.
They may even think that "there is something wrong" with that ink. For
example I don't like washed-out inks. In that sense some Montblanc inks
have something wrong.

The on-line pen community doesn't give Quink particularly high marks
either, but it's darn good ink. Some inks are poorly made, though.

I have tried some Parker Quink -inks. Black is not totally black; it has
those blue and grey undertones. Blue is okay most of the time, but
sometimes it has washed-out look. Blue-black seems okay, but it is my
first and only blue-black ink, so I can not compare it. Red looks nice,
but in my BIC Select Turn & Up it creates some red powder to underside
of nib, but cap of that pen "breathes" very much. Washable blue looks
always washed-out, but it is not so bad as Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue.

Old January 17th 07, 08:44 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Juhapekka Tolvanen

j ` f writes:

In article ,
Juhapekka Tolvanen wrote:

There is something wrong with some Montblanc inks, but I still find
some of them interesting, at least that Racing Green. *DROOL*

What seems to be "wrong" with Montblanc inks is that the reviewers
didn't seem to like the colors. Again, I prefer making up my own mind
rather than rely on some stranger's opinion.

Ink reviews are usefull to some degree. For example: If I am looking for
true red ink, why should I waste my money for some red ink that have
orange undertones according reviews?

Old January 17th 07, 11:16 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Harry F. Leopold

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 13:54:26 -0600, Juhapekka Tolvanen wrote
(in article ):

Harry F. Leopold writes:

The 200 Pelikan is a great little pen, between Diane and I we own 3 of
them.

Diane who? That "satrap"?

No, not that Diane, my Diane. The 4' 11" Diane, who does not do orange ink.
(If I am thinking of the correct Diane.)
--
Harry F. Leopold
aa #2076

Don¹t forget your Decoder Weasel

Old January 18th 07, 12:55 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
BL

Juhapekka Tolvanen wrote:

Well, if some ink has washed-out color, for some
people it is bad thing. They may even think that
"there is something wrong" with that ink. For
example I don't like washed-out inks. In that sense
some Montblanc inks have something wrong.

Hi... I guess our respective definitions of "wrong" and "bad" differ.
I never particularly liked the old Sheaffer Skrip inks (thought they
were too washed out looking), but I never thought they were bad inks.
In fact, they were very well-made inks. Quink too is very well-made
ink. To me, bad and wrong mean the ink is of poor quality, e.g., it's
prone to grow mold, or crud precipitates out of it, or it fails to dry
quickly enough on the paper and therefore smudges, or it tends to
feather, or it bleeds through, etc. IMO, there's nothing wrong with an
ink that's relatively light on dye but consistently performs well in
other respects. In fact (brace yourself), some people actually prefer
not to gunk up and stain their pens with heavily dye-concentrated
inks. Each to his or her own though.

I have tried some Parker Quink -inks. Black is not
totally black; it has those blue and grey
undertones.

I think one has to try the inks in their own pens. I'm using Quink
Black in a 51 Vac Demi with an EF nib and the result is a very, very
black line. I couldn't get a lusher, blacker line with Aurora Black or
any other black for that matter, and other alternatives probably
wouldn't flow as well out of that pen or dry as quickly etc. Did I
mention that I've never had a moldy bottle of Quink or one that
separated or formed gloppy masses. Look... I'm happy when it produces
a nice legible line and doesn't spawn something that could devour the
neighborhood.

Blue is okay most of the time, but sometimes it has
washed-out look.

Hmmm... To me, it's a beautiful sky blue.

Blue-black seems okay, but it is my first and only
blue-black ink, so I can not compare it. Red looks
nice, but in my BIC Select Turn & Up it creates some
red powder to underside of nib, but cap of that pen
"breathes" very much. Washable blue looks always
washed-out, but it is not so bad as Pelikan 4001
Royal Blue.

Red powder doesn't sound good. Do you flush the pen once in a while?
BTW, Pelikan has reformulated Royal Blue. I haven't seen it yet, but I
hear it's a more pleasing color. -- B

Old January 18th 07, 01:48 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Brian Ketterling

Harry F. Leopold wrote:
No, not that Diane, my Diane.
The 4' 11" Diane, who does not
do orange ink.

(If I am thinking of the correct Diane.)

I have a feeling your Diane *is* the correct Diane -- the seemingly
prosaic lines above struck me as a song lyric.

Brian

Old January 18th 07, 12:38 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Harry F. Leopold

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 19:48:48 -0600, Brian Ketterling wrote
(in article .net):

Harry F. Leopold wrote:
No, not that Diane, my Diane.
The 4' 11" Diane, who does not
do orange ink.

(If I am thinking of the correct Diane.)

I have a feeling your Diane *is* the correct Diane -- the seemingly
prosaic lines above struck me as a song lyric.

Ha, she will enjoy the thought, and laugh about it.

Either that or hit both of us with a skillet. I may be a foot and a half
taller than her, but I do have to sleep some time.

Or worse of all, she will hand me that skillet and tell me to cook my own
breakfast. This last could be fatal, I am the second-worst cook in the world.
But I do agree, my Diane would be the correct Diane, for me, and those lines
could become a lyric pretty easily. (As long as I don't have to try and sing
it, I sing like a sick toad. I expect to hear from the toads any moment now
complaining about the above.)
--
Harry F. Leopold
aa #2076

Imagine you're made of watches, walking on a beach made of watches, as wave
after wave of watches wash up on the shore under a beautiful summer sky made
of watches with puffy watches drifting by. Suddenly you spy a watch at your
feet and exclaim, "Oh look! A watch!"-Denis Loubet

Int'l (short) cartridges won't fit in Waterman Hemisphere [email protected] Pens & Pencils 5 August 13th 06 10:24 AM
Waterman Hemisphere opinions? RPJ Pens & Pencils 3 July 26th 06 01:05 AM
Ebay problems? Sue H Autographs 9 December 21st 05 02:20 AM
Wurlitzer 3400 problems Bob E. Juke Boxes 4 August 21st 03 05:19 AM
Rowe CD100 problems... something new KLR Juke Boxes 1 June 29th 03 09:51 AM