First-time fountain pen?

Old December 6th 05, 10:10 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Default First-time fountain pen?

Iain Dalton "iain [dot] dalton [at] gmail [dot] com" writes:

How do I deal with my left-handedness?

http://www.pencollectors.com/pennant.../nibworks.html

http://www.nibs.com/Left-hand%20writers.htm

Noodler's Ink has made some fast-drying fountain pen inks. They are
exclusively sold by Swisher Pens.

http://www.swisherpens.com/

Do I need to buy some kind of left-handed pen?

I do not know how necessary it is. But at least these pens are available
as left-handed model and/or with left-handed nib:

- Pelikan Pelikano
- Pelikan Pelikano Junior
- All (?) fountain pens of Lamy. Ask for so called "LH" nib.
- Some Parker pens with so called "reverse oblique" nib. It looks like
your right foot.

As you were told, some "Nibmeisters" can custom-grind nib of your pen
for left-handed writing and do other modifications, too: For example ink
flow may be adjusted to drier side, if needed.

And last, what are some good budget fountain pens I can look into?

http://pw1.netcom.com/~danhle/home.html#beginners
http://fountainpenforum.com/e107/content.php?article.14
http://faculty.haas.berkeley.edu/rjm...ns/whatpen.htm
http://faculty.haas.berkeley.edu/rjm...ions/cheap.htm

http://www.pendemonium.com/new.htm

---- Clip here ----

April 5, 2005 - We frequently receive inquiries from people who have
never used a fountain pen and are ready to try one, don't want to invest
a whole lot of money, and aren't quite sure which one to select.
Perfectly understandable since there is a wide range of choices
available today.

Here are our top choices for those of you who are ready to take the
plunge! These are all tried and true and just downright reliable
fountain pens! Less than $50.00, too! Click on the links below to learn
more. Waterman Phileas Fountain Pens

Parker Frontier Flighter Fountain Pens

Pelikan Future or Pelikano Fountain Pens

Sheaffer Prelude Fountain Pens

---- Clip here ----

I can recommend these budget pens, because I own them and therefore I
have some experience of them:

- Herlitz Tornado
- BIC Select Turn & Up (It is just Stypen Up under BIC-name) (Very wet
by default)
- Sheaffer Javelin
- Parker Jotter
- Parker Vector (Weird gripping section)
- Waterman Phileas
- Pelikan M200

--
Juhapekka "naula" Tolvanen * http colon slash slash iki dot fi slash juhtolv
"She turns me on. She makes me real. I have to apologize for the way I feel."
Old December 7th 05, 12:29 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Noodler's Ink has made some fast-drying fountain pen inks. They are
exclusively sold by Swisher Pens.

http://www.swisherpens.com/

Yes, made by Noodler's but has the Swisher Pens label on it (you wouldn't
find it if you searched for quick drying Noodler's ink). You can find it at
the following link:

http://www.nexternal.com/swisher/Product1318

I think our fast drying ink in either a Waterman Phileas (fine point) or
Pelikan 200 (again fine point) would make an excellent starting combination
for a left-handed writer. Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Chuck Swisher -

Swisher Pens, Inc. -
www.swisherpens.com

Tele: (757) 539-2209, TF: 1-888-340-7367, Fax: (757) 925-2787

Old December 7th 05, 12:48 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Andy Dingley wrote:
Tomorrow I'm off on an expedition right across town to stock up on
Moleskines, just because they're the best fountain-pen friendly
notebooks I know.

Actually, that's what I'm planning on buying, too. I want a journal
worthy of passing on to posterity, and I've heard good reports of the
moleskines. Does it matter if the moleskine is ruled or not? A
non-ruled one would look better, but as a practicality one might need
rules to keep one's writing straight.

Old December 7th 05, 02:21 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

I use both ruled and blank. Ruled for writing, certainly. The blank sheets I
use for sketches, diagrams and quick notes.

Welcome to the group.

Gordon

Old December 7th 05, 04:05 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

soap!!?? not a great idea in a fountain pen

"Bruce Burke" wrote in message
On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 00:03:31 -0800, Iain Dalton "iain [dot] dalton
[at] gmail [dot] com" wrote:

I'm a high-school student, with a $75/wk. salary, so I'm not looking
get an expensive pen, but I'm getting or getting myself a journal this
Christmas holiday, something I've procrastinated a long time, and I
want
it to look worthy of showing to my posterity, so I've decided to get a
fountain pen. Now, there are several issues:

1. I've never used a fountain pen before.
2. I'm left-handed, and don't want to smear as I write.
3. I know that many of them are expensive, though I am willing to
splurge a bit.

Naturally, I have some questions:
Are there any special guidelines to follow when writing with a
fountain
pen rather than a ballpoint or gel pen?

Fountain pens need to be flushed out every so often with warm water
and a touch of soap just to keep dried ink from building up inside.

Should I get a pen with an
inkwell instead of a fountain pen? How do I deal with my
left-handedness?

With a fountain pen, you might have to adjust how your hand moves
across the paper as the ink fries. However, gel rollerballs can create
the same problem.

Do I need to buy some kind of left-handed pen? And
last, what are some good budget fountain pens I can look into?

No, ya don't need a left-handed pen. As for pens types. there are
bunches and bunches, myself, I'll confess to being a Parker bigot. You
can pick up a Parker 45 Flighter on Ebay for around $25 - 30 USD, plus
shipping costs. Excellent writer, uses either a cartridge, or has a
slide converter that allows you to use bottled ink and it is a snap to
use, even one handed.

--
Iain Dalton

Check out this place, there are a BUNCH of friendly, helpful folks
there. there are also lots of pen reviews and scanned, or photographed
samples of how many pens write. Just watch out for James Pickering,
his writing will drive you mad! *wink*

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/

Regards,

Bruce
Hitting reply is futile, use the following:
).

Old December 7th 05, 05:41 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

In article ynmlf.5256$567.708@trnddc01, wrote:
But even us underwriters can get ink on our hands....even with ball points!

i also get ink all over (hands, both sleeves, shirts) even with ball points &
i am a right hand user. :-)

bye now,

==========
Pam @ Home

Cort Furniture Rental and Honesty are two exclusive concepts.
Old December 7th 05, 05:46 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Jmk wrote:
If you like your fountain pen, you'll probably want to carry it with
you. That's reason enough to buy a fountain pen, rather than a dip pen
and inkwell. Most of the time, you'll only need to carry your fountain
pen with you.

I wasn't around when fountain pens were the norm, but don't they leak?
Isn't that why pocket protectors exist? Or is this only true of some
fountain pens?

--
Iain Dalton
Old December 7th 05, 05:49 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

L, not -L wrote:
Is it an accurate assumption that you are a left-handed over-writer, where
your hand is above the line being written on? IIRC, left-handed
under-writes are quite rare.

Yes; I never knew there was any other way to write. Now I'm curious;
how would one write while keeping one's hand below the line? I tried it
just now, and it slants my writing backwards terribly.

--
Iain Dalton
Old December 7th 05, 06:18 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Jmk wrote:
Most modern fountain pens are piston fillers or filled by
a cartridge or converter. If your pen is the latter, it usually comes
with a converter and cartridges are usually easy enough to find.

As you said, the Pelikan M200 is piston-filled, though I'm not sure what
that is. Is there a downside to this? Is the ability to use cartridges
better?

--
Iain Dalton
Old December 7th 05, 06:53 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Iain Dalton "iain [dot] dalton [at] gmail [dot] com" writes:

I wasn't around when fountain pens were the norm, but don't they leak?

Generally fountain pens do not leak. There are few exceptions:

1) Some fountain pens may leak during flying, especially if they are
partially full. Some fountain pens are intentionally more resistant
against that phenomenom. They were designed so. At least these pens
should never leak during flying:

- Parker 51
- Rotring Initial
- Waterman Edson

2) Montblanc Meisterstuck 146 and 149 leaks even when not flying:

http://www.canit.se/~griffon/writing...blanc_149.html
http://faculty.haas.berkeley.edu/rjm...s/montblan.htm

If some other fountain pen leaks when not flying, it means there is
something wrong and that pen needs to repaired.

Isn't that why pocket protectors exist?

I don't know. Maybe they protect pocket from tip of ballpoint pen.
Sometimes that tip is accidentally exposed and may stain pocket when
putting that pen to it.