Why are antique dealers so hesitant?

Old October 31st 03, 02:13 PM
Don K

"Bob Ward" wrote in message ...
On 30 Oct 2003 20:13:22 -0800, (Saler) wrote:

You have a good point lpogoda, but I must admit that I am not a sales
person, I treat all my clients with how I would like to be treated or
even approached. As I stated in an earlier post I really can't change
the name at this point in the game unless the paper takes a complete
360 that lends itself to a name change.

You might want to review your geometric concepts, there. A 180 would
be a much more radical approach than a 360, in this context.

Careening through a 360 degree change in direction sounds rather
radical and unstable to me.

Don

Old October 31st 03, 03:15 PM
Saler

"C." wrote in message news:lDoob.230831$6C4.38152@pd7tw1no...
Because of the current popularity of antiques, there seems to be a zillion
people cruising garage sales trying to find treasure. I don't know about the
rest of the folks here, but I have noted a lot of people trying to sell
dealers crap they picked up at a garage sale. It seems to be an easy way
now to get a free appraisal...walk in and ask how much the dealer will give
for an item. It is becoming a nuisance, and I don't think I would want to
advertise in a magazine that these creatures have access to. They seem to
find the store easily enough already. There are people that know how to shop
garage sales to get "the good stuff" and sell to dealers as part of their
living. They know how to sell to them without such a publication, and more
importantly, without disrupting daily business.

You can get some good things at a garage sale, if you go yourself. You can
pick and choose the sales you want to see, reducing the odds of seeing a lot
of crap. However, they are not the best places to find things, and it is
time consuming. . Dealers work by keeping an ear to the ground and filling
the rolodex. I know which auctions or estate sales I will attend, and which
I will pass on. Since I can't be everywhere, I have to make educated,
informed guesses about what format is likely to have "the good stuff" on any
given day. It is rarely a garage sale that wins this contest.

There are a lot of second hand, and "retro" stores out there that would
benefit from your publication. These are the people that need garage salers
banging on their door with their "treasure". The other business you might
want to hit up are pawn shops. I'll bet there are a lot of people that
take stuff from garage sales right to a pawn shop.

C.

"Bob Ward" wrote in message
On 30 Oct 2003 20:13:22 -0800, (Saler) wrote:

You have a good point lpogoda, but I must admit that I am not a sales
person, I treat all my clients with how I would like to be treated or
even approached. As I stated in an earlier post I really can't change
the name at this point in the game unless the paper takes a complete
360 that lends itself to a name change.

You might want to review your geometric concepts, there. A 180 would
be a much more radical approach than a 360, in this context.

C,
Thanks for your insight.
I can relate with you on people who are looking to make a few bucks
that "bring in crap". But you too have to admit that you were not born
with such knowledge of antiques and that it is an ongoing learning
experience. Therefore the most likely reason for most of your
questions from your intrigued guests. I have yet to come across a
person who has been as bold to say I know everything, on any given
subject.
So you want to call garage salers "Creatures"? This is the exact
ingnorance our paper is trying to change, did you know that Elton John
recently had a garage sale did you also know that Jimmy Dean the
"sausage king" too has held a garage sale last weekend to rid some of
his belongings and "clutter"? If you are referring to us as
"creatures" then why don't you give the name of your store and the
location to see how many us "creatures" show up in your store now? We
creatures are the very ones that help you keep your doors open 6 days
a week. Everything if not new in your store is second hand so please
do not rank yourself as high and mighty because you too have had to
start out somewhere like a garage sale or a thrift store etc...
Now to give you the benefit of the doubt, you might also be saying
that you meant the people that actually go to them and buy, but we
"solidly middle class" (as one poster put it)americans also attend
these sales. Just because one person gets joy of finding a bargain
doesn't categorize them as a "Creature" does it?
I will ask you the same question I asked another poster? How do you
preceive a garage saler? Do you automitically stereo type a person who
garage sales?
Our paper like I have said on many occassions that it caters to
reporting on the second hand economy not just garage sales. Do not
judge a book by its cover.
I have had many great responses from all walks of life, yes even
creatures.

I enjoy your emails and look forward to hearing from you again. Most
likely I will. :-)

Hope you have a profitable day!
Henry
Ledesma-Cravey Publishing, Inc.
The Garage Sale Weekender

Old October 31st 03, 07:43 PM
val189

Gourmet restaurants wouldn't want to be included in a publication
listing fast food joints - same thing here, maybe.
Old October 31st 03, 09:58 PM
Scorpio Chick

(Saler) wrote in message . com...
Let me clarify, I am a publisher of a well received newspaper called
The Garage Sale Weekender reporting on the second hand economy.

I have had resistance (not sure if this is the right term) from many
of the local antique stores/malls when asked if they would like to
advertise their in our FREE paper. I have heard from "It's not our
market" to "It's like telling our targeted client to go and purchase
on eBay"

Sounds like you're trying to merge two different markets in one paper
under the wrong title. Garage sales and antique stores are totally
different markets, with very little crossover. I would guess that the
reason a lot of the antique dealers aren't interested in advertising
is the name of your paper, which suggests that you focus only on the
yard sale/garage sale (low end) rather than the high end (antiques,
identified collectables).

When a shopper goes to an antique store, they're not just payng for
the piece, they're paying for the knowledge that the seller has about
it and its history, the cleaning and restoration (if any), and a
precise assessment of its value. A garage sale shopper might find a
great antique at a yard sale, but they'll need to research it, get it
assessed, and possibly restore it - all things that are part of the
service provided (and charged for) by an antique shop.

Antiques buffs are normally looking for knowledge, and are willing to
pay for it. Garage sale shoppers are looking more for a low price.
Since antique stores are in the business of making money, they aren't
interested in the garage salers market.

As somebody who owns a lot of antiques and who also goes to the
occasional yard sale/flea market, I'd pick up your paper if I was
interested in garage sales or flea markets based on the title, but I
wouldn't likely think of it as a resource for antique stores.

My suggestion is to change the name and divide it into two sections -
one for antiques/collectables and one for yard sales.

- ScorpioChick
Old November 1st 03, 04:43 AM
lpogoda

Saler wrote in message . ..
I think I will ask you this "what do you preceive a garage sale person
to look and act like? What type of tax bracket do you think we are in?
Please answer this honestly. I think this question is going to be my

Thanks alot for your feedback lpogoda! Look forward to hearing from
you.

My parents were avid garage/rummage/yard sale shoppers. I'd say such people
look and act "normal", pretty much like everyone else, at least when
otherwise engaged. Their tax bracket was maybe a little below average, not
because of earnings, but because they had more kids than average (I'm the
oldest of five).

The only merchandise-related reason I can think of, offhand, to shop at a
garage sale instead of a store is the prospect of getting something at a
better (cheaper) price. My mental image of antiques, on the other hand, has
a great big dollar sign superimposed on it.

Old November 1st 03, 04:56 AM
Jessica Vincent

"Saler" wrote in message
om...
Let me clarify, I am a publisher of a well received newspaper called
The Garage Sale Weekender reporting on the second hand economy.

I have had resistance (not sure if this is the right term) from many
of the local antique stores/malls when asked if they would like to
advertise their in our FREE paper. I have heard from "It's not our
market" to "It's like telling our targeted client to go and purchase
on eBay"

snip

When I see garage sale I think of lots of household items under $100. Maybe
a good place for someone running a used furniture/low end quasi antiques
business to advertise but not where someone with a moderate to high end shop
is going to want to spend their advertising buck IMHO.

Where I am the "junk dealers" advertise in the free papers, while the bona
fide antique dealers go for the local paper, antiques specific publications
and antiques dealer directories.

I'm a collector, I may not have a limitless amount of money to spend on my
collections but I am not very likely to pick up a paper called the Garage
Sale Weekender. I don't have the time to be scouring the countryside each
weekend for the things that I collect when I can work with dealers that know
my taste and give a call when they come across something that they think I
will like. I'd rather work that way, go over auction catologs/listings &
spend a could hours a previews, or attend a flea market/swap meet than spend
my preciosu weekend on a wild goose chase for tag sales.

Jessica
Henry