Why are antique dealers so hesitant?

Old October 29th 03, 03:40 PM
Saler

Default Why are antique dealers so hesitant?

Let me clarify, I am a publisher of a well received newspaper called
The Garage Sale Weekender reporting on the second hand economy.

I have had resistance (not sure if this is the right term) from many
of the local antique stores/malls when asked if they would like to
advertise their in our FREE paper. I have heard from "It's not our
market" to "It's like telling our targeted client to go and purchase
on eBay"

For the life of me I am definetly confused when it comes to dealers.
Where do you get your merchandise, (not like it is not known when,
how, and where you purchase your merchandise) who supports your stores
overhead? (The second hand economy how else would you be able to call
your store a collectible or antique store?)

What I am getting at is why not promote your store in a low cost, well
written, professional paper that deals directly in "YOUR INDUSTRY"?
Our advertising rates are very competitive if not lower. Our
distribution covers 4-5 counties. and we are open to doing
advertorials for our customers.

When I first started this paper my business plan had Antique stores as
one of the major supporters of our paper, but it looks to be that I
was wrong. How can this be? Am I missing something here, am I out of
the loop on some underground knowledge amongst owners of
collectible/antique stores?

Please feel free to be candid. I am open to suggestion.
"LET'S GO SALE-ING!"
Henry
Old October 29th 03, 06:17 PM
Kris Baker

"Saler" wrote in message
om...
Let me clarify, I am a publisher of a well received newspaper called
The Garage Sale Weekender reporting on the second hand economy.

I have had resistance (not sure if this is the right term) from many
of the local antique stores/malls when asked if they would like to
advertise their in our FREE paper. I have heard from "It's not our
market" to "It's like telling our targeted client to go and purchase
on eBay"

Henry, "Garage Sale Weekender" sounds targeted to those who
BUY at garage sales, rather than from the dealers. I can
understand dealers not wanting to advertise there. What
they *are* doing, by supporting your paper, is buying from
those who advertise their garage sales/estate sales in your
issues.

Here, and in the midwest, there are some very good, free
"newspapers" that antique dealers advertise in....and when
we're travelling, that's the first thing we pick up in an
area. These papers have area maps, small free ads for
every dealer, larger paid ads for auctions and shops, and
get great circulation.

I think you need two separate publications.

Kris

Old October 30th 03, 12:41 AM
Arri London

Saler wrote:

Let me clarify, I am a publisher of a well received newspaper called
The Garage Sale Weekender reporting on the second hand economy.

I have had resistance (not sure if this is the right term) from many
of the local antique stores/malls when asked if they would like to
advertise their in our FREE paper. I have heard from "It's not our
market" to "It's like telling our targeted client to go and purchase
on eBay"

snip

Please feel free to be candid. I am open to suggestion.
"LET'S GO SALE-ING!"
Henry

Not an antiques dealer but certainly haunt the shops/galleries and talk
to the proprietors a lot.
Real antiques can be quite expensive to obtain; at least those with any
valid provenance. Consequently they are expensive to buy at retail.

The dealers you talked to probably don't wish to lower their 'tone'. It
works for them to advertise the most to people who have the money to buy
what they are offering.

After all the poshest jeweller locally never advertises in the 'Thrifty
Nickle' or 'Pennysaver'. No need to do so and no desire to change the
image.
Old October 30th 03, 02:01 AM
Zemedelec

"Garage Sale".

That is the reason. Never underestimate the nose-in-the-air factor.
BRBR

And never be amazed at the junk you find in nicely presented stores, sold as
"antiques." An antique used to have to be at least 100 years old. Then that
crept back to 75. Now, it seems to be anything you can convince a gullible
customer is "antique."
zemedelec
Old October 30th 03, 02:55 AM
Saler

"Kris Baker" wrote in message .com...
"Saler" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Kris,
Thank you for your honesty. But, I am pretty sure you have heard the
old saying of "Never judge a book by its cover". And that is what alot
of advertisers are doing until they understand what the paper is all
about. We are not another free publication like the Pennysaver or the
Thrifty, we are a paper that reports on the second hand economy - a
multibillion dollar economy an economy that antique dealers and of the
sort feed like a growing monster. Sure we look for people to advertise
their garage sales and stores to keep the pub free for bargain hunters
like you can pick it up when they come across it. It is a paper that
relates to shoppers and owners of the second hand market. It brings
buyers and sellers together uniting The Garage Sale community to the
second hand economy. If this post didn't relate or peak someones
interest then how is it that I have gotten 7 replies within the 1st 4
hours? I am relating to someones interests, hence the replies right?
The Garage Sale Weekender has been well received here in Northeast
Florida and has had inquiries from CA and Michagan to start our humble
lil paper called "The Garage Sale Weekender".

Sorry if I have rambled on but I am very passionate about the paper
and am only looking for ways to better improve upon it.

Thanks Again for the post.
Henry
Old October 30th 03, 03:01 AM
lpogoda

Saler wrote in message . ..
[...]

I'm reminded of an old (well, I guess they all are old) episode of The
Beverly Hillbillies. It's the one where Mr. Drysdale is showing the
Clampett's around their new mansion for the first time, pointing out the
Louis XIV chairs and genuine Chippendale sofas and Tiffany chandeliers and
other fabulously expensive antiques. Jed finally says something along the
lines of "That's OK Mr. Drysdale, we're simple folk. We don't mind second
hand.".

While I suppose antique whatever is technically second-hand, that's not the
way people generally view it, and not everything second-hand is an antique.
I could understand why an antique dealer wouldn't want his/her stock to be
considered second-hand furniture. I'd also expect that the average person
"shopping" in your publication is unlikely to be looking for relatively
expensive antiques, so no matter how low your rates, their perception could
be that it's not likely to increase their sales.

But you're asking the wrong people. You should be asking these dealers
themselves why they don't want to advertise in your publication, and what
you would have to do to get them to change their minds. It might be that
something as simple as a name change would be all it takes to win some of
them over.

Old October 30th 03, 03:32 AM
Saler

Arri London wrote in message ...
Saler wrote:

[...]

Thank you for your reply it is much appreciated.

I somehow beg to differ, we have a local rolex dealer that advertises
in the smallest of local community papers. Why he is advertsing that
he buys coins and rolexes. And after being in his shop I have a
feeling he is not hurting for money.

Advertising is a communication tool to let buyers and sellers know
about your store and what it has to offer.

Thanks again for your reply to my post.
Henry
The Garage Sale Weekender