Looking For an Ink Recommendation

Old July 13th 04, 07:46 PM
Jeremy

Default Looking For an Ink Recommendation

I have 2 Sheaffer Prelude fountain pens and one Cross Century Fountain pen
(I believe that it has been discontinued by now). I am currently using
Scrip ink, with the pens' converters.

I have noticed that Scrip black ink, in cartridges, seems thicker than does
the Blue ink, either in cartridges or out of the bottle. I like that
thicker feel to the ink, and I wonder if someone can steer me to a blue ink
that does not feel as watery as does blue Scrip?

I'd also like a blue ink that is more saturated than the Scrip ink, if
possible. The Scrip, when dry, seems semi-opaque--it is to blue what gray
is to black, if that makes my meaning any clearer.

I want a deep blue that does not tend toward the turquoise, one that is
somewhat thicker than blue Scrip, and one that dries to a bold color, not
watered-down.

I was thinking of trying Pelikan, but I thought I'd first ask for
recommendations here. Thanks for any ideas and suggestions.

Old July 13th 04, 08:02 PM
kg

"Jeremy" wrote in message
I'd also like a blue ink that is more saturated than the Scrip ink, if
possible. The Scrip, when dry, seems semi-opaque--it is to blue what gray
is to black, if that makes my meaning any clearer.

I want a deep blue that does not tend toward the turquoise, one that is
somewhat thicker than blue Scrip, and one that dries to a bold color, not
watered-down.

I was thinking of trying Pelikan, but I thought I'd first ask for
recommendations here. Thanks for any ideas and suggestions.

I'd suggest either Aurora Blue or Noodler's Blue. I've used the Aurora and
it's very saturated and tends toward the purple or violet, at least in my
opinion. It's dries a bit slow for my taste. I've not used the Noodler's
(available from Swishers, Art Brown, Pendemonium) blue but the black is a
fantastic ink. I like it better than Aurora Black, my previous standard.
I've heard good things about the blue. You get a three ounce bottle for the
price too. I also use a lot of vintage quink blue black and permanent royal
blue.

kg

Old July 13th 04, 08:09 PM
Bluesea

"Jeremy" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

The only blue that I really like is Noodler's blue. Other blues I tried were
Skrip, Quink, Waterman, rOtring, Pilot, and Pelikan which were all too light
or too dark or the wrong shade for me.

YMMV.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old July 14th 04, 12:39 AM
john cline ii

"Jeremy" wrote in part:

| I have noticed that Scrip black ink, in cartridges, seems thicker
than does
| the Blue ink, either in cartridges or out of the bottle. I like that
| thicker feel to the ink, and I wonder if someone can steer me to a
blue ink
| that does not feel as watery as does blue Scrip?
|
| I'd also like a blue ink that is more saturated than the Scrip ink,
if
| possible. The Scrip, when dry, seems semi-opaque--it is to blue what
gray
| is to black, if that makes my meaning any clearer.
|
| I want a deep blue that does not tend toward the turquoise, one that
is
| somewhat thicker than blue Scrip, and one that dries to a bold color,
not
| watered-down.
|
| I was thinking of trying Pelikan, but I thought I'd first ask for
| recommendations here. Thanks for any ideas and suggestions.

I am not happy with the Pelkan blue ink. I HIGHLY recommend either
Noodler's Blue, Aurora Blue, Waterman Florida Blue or Private Reserve
Lake Placid Blue. I also like American Blue from Private Reserve a
lot. Any or all of these are better blues than is Sheaffer these days.

I also like Midnight Blues from Private Reserve a LOT, as I do Mont
Blanc's Blue-Black, which, while very good ink, will cause your paper
to deteriorate over time. It also writes a deep blue and then turns
blue-black in front of your eyes. A thick, slow-running ink, it is not
for everybody!

john cline ii, who hopes that helps

Old July 14th 04, 02:14 AM
Jo?o Pedro Baptista

Try Aurora Blue ink. Not watery at all. It's a dark royal blue, so
with some purple tones. It has a very good flow and quick drying.
Waterman blue florida is also good, less saturate but with less purple
tones. I don't know the Pelikan blue.

JP
Old July 14th 04, 02:53 AM
Nancy Handy

Jeremy wrote:
I want a deep blue that does not tend toward the turquoise, one that is
somewhat thicker than blue Scrip, and one that dries to a bold color, not
watered-down.

1. Private Reserve American Blue
2. Noodler's standard Blue
3. Noodler's Ottoman Azure
4. Private Reserve Lake Placid Blue
5. Omas Roma 2000 Blue which may have been replace with something called
Omas Roma Blue
6. Waterman Florida Blue

Nancy
Old July 14th 04, 03:32 AM
Patrick Lamb

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 18:46:22 GMT, "Jeremy"
wrote:
I'd also like a blue ink that is more saturated than the Scrip ink, if
possible. The Scrip, when dry, seems semi-opaque--it is to blue what gray
is to black, if that makes my meaning any clearer.

I want a deep blue that does not tend toward the turquoise, one that is
somewhat thicker than blue Scrip, and one that dries to a bold color, not
watered-down.

I was thinking of trying Pelikan, but I thought I'd first ask for
recommendations here. Thanks for any ideas and suggestions.

I'm partial to Levenger cobalt blue. It's about as intense a blue ink
as you can find. Downside is that it dries slowly and may smear
easily (use a blotter). Pelikan blue is halfway between the Scrip and
the Levenger -- it dries reasonably, but is still reasonably dense.

You've got some recommendations for Montblanc -- I'm in the "pour it
down the sink and save the bottle" camp. It skips in all but one of
my pens (a fire hose Vac).

Pat

Email address works as is.
Old July 14th 04, 05:09 AM
Viseguy

"Jeremy" wrote in message ink.net...

I want a deep blue that does not tend toward the turquoise, one that is
somewhat thicker than blue Scrip, and one that dries to a bold color, not
watered-down.

By jove, you've well-nigh DEFINED the Holy Grail of Blue! If you ever
find it, let me know what it is.

A good place to start is at The Writing Desk's 3-way ink comparison
page:

http://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk/ink_cat/inkchooser.html

Plug in all the different blues, then narrow it down to three, then
place an order (or two or three). Experiment a bit, have some fun.

For what it's worth, my current personal favorite is Private Reserve
(2004) DC Supershow Blue. I haven't tried PR American Blue (but a
bottle is on the way). I Am Curious (about) Noodler's Blue, Aurora
Blue, and Waterman Florida Blue, but haven't tried them (yet). I
share your opinion of Skrip Blue. Pelikan Royal Blue is ho-hum, in my
ho-humble opinion.

When you get tired of searching for the ultimate blue, try Noodler's
Black. It is unique, beautiful -- and waterproof as all get-out.

--
Viseguy
Old July 14th 04, 04:14 PM
KCat

I'll just echo what others have said for the most part.

Haven't tried Noodler's blues but the inks seem nice.

For blue - Private Reserve DC Supershow blue or PR American Blue are IMO the
most "true" blue you can get. definitely *not* watery (or as we were
trained to say by WS on Pentrace - subtle.) Levenger Cobalt is a dense dark
blue and I do like this ink. Aurora Blue is lovely but does have
significant purple tones. There are several good blues from Private
Reserve - just depends on what you want the shade to be. I like Pelikan
blue-black but Pelikan and MB inks tend to feel a bit dry writing to me. So
I don't think either of those is what you're looking for.

Pendemonium has a deal on PR DC blue right now - 2 bottles for $12. That's
a pretty good price. I've tried American blue and to my eye there was very
little difference in shade.

hth,
kcat

Old July 14th 04, 05:05 PM
Jeremy

"KCat" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Thanks, will check it out. I live in Philadelphia, and we have an art
supply company, Pearl Art Supply, that might carry some of these inks in
stock. Too bad I can't sample them before I buy, somewhat like trying out
colognes with those tester bottles at department stores . . .