Levenger Infinity Journal?

Old May 22nd 04, 02:52 AM
KCat

Default Levenger Infinity Journal?

Anyone tried these with PR and similar inks?

I don't care about the leather binding but 30 bucks for 600 pages is a
pretty good deal *if* the paper will hold up to my dark and dense inks. I
don't usually care for that sort of binding but...

posting this everywhere (well, 3 forums)

TIA,
kcat

Old May 23rd 04, 05:09 AM
Reuben S. Pitts III

KCat wrote:
Anyone tried these with PR and similar inks?

I don't care about the leather binding but 30 bucks for 600 pages is a
pretty good deal *if* the paper will hold up to my dark and dense inks. I
don't usually care for that sort of binding but...

posting this everywhere (well, 3 forums)

TIA,
kcat

Cat,

Try this for a better deal. Great journal and you get 400 pages for
$12.95. Can't beat it for a sewn journal.

Reuben

Old May 23rd 04, 06:36 PM
KCat

Cat,

Try this for a better deal. Great journal and you get 400 pages for
$12.95. Can't beat it for a sewn journal.

Reuben

you didn't say what "this" is but I'm guessing you're talking about the
Everyman Journal? I've heard good things about it.

Everyman: 3.2 c/page
Infinity: 2.5 c/page

:-) Not arguing Reuben. After all since .7 cents is hardly worth
considering if the EJ is better. And shipping may balance them out to the
same cost. I was wondering though if the sewn pages lie flatter or about
the same as the glued pages of the Infinity. Will sewn stand up to abuse
better than glued. I understand the Everymany has a format that lots of
folks like (margins, date/time space?) how about it's tolerance to dark
inks - I luse a lot of PR inks. :-)

What I liked about the Infinity was that if hubby *chooses* to spoil me this
coming Chrimstas - he can do so with the leather cover. ;-)

Now - if you're not talking about the everyman - can you post the link to
what you were referring to? (sorry, i *like* to end sentences with
prepositions)
--
I am not a Lupus/Fountain Pen Expert. I am not a Medical Doctor. I do not
make my living in medicine or in fountain pen repair. All opinions herein

Old May 23rd 04, 07:12 PM
JimL

"Reuben S. Pitts III" wrote in message ...
KCat wrote:
Anyone tried these with PR and similar inks?

I don't care about the leather binding but 30 bucks for 600 pages is a
pretty good deal *if* the paper will hold up to my dark and dense inks. I
don't usually care for that sort of binding but...

posting this everywhere (well, 3 forums)

TIA,
kcat

Cat,

Try this for a better deal. Great journal and you get 400 pages for
$12.95. Can't beat it for a sewn journal.

Reuben

"Try this" ... ? Was there a link missing here?
I have a large book purchased for about $120 from a catalog called (I
think I remember) Tavalo, which is mostly a fancy hardware and tool
place, but they had this book, plus stainless steel cannisters that I
use for spice containers.
Unfortunately I can't find the catalog or invoices.

Like many books I have purchased, I haven't started using it until I
can invent a reason.
Old May 23rd 04, 08:19 PM
Reuben S. Pitts III

KCat wrote:

[...]

DUH! Sorry, but I forgot the link. Here 'tis.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,46 096,46113

The Everyman holds up well to dark ink (Aurora Blue), but I've not tried
any of the PR's. Yes, sewn will stand up much better than glued, and it
tends to open flatter---a strong point for easier writing. By the way,
you may want to check your arithmetic. $30.00 for 600 pages works out
to .05 a page, so infinity is more expensive. Also, that is just the
price of the refill. The basic leather journal is $80.00. The Everyman
has hard covers like a book while the Infinity refill has stiff covers,
like a spiral notebook. They achieve their strength from the leather
cover when they are inserted in it. It all depends on what you want for
a journal.

Reuben who hopes this helps

Old May 23rd 04, 11:33 PM
KCat

"Reuben S. Pitts III" wrote in message
DUH! Sorry, but I forgot the link. Here 'tis.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,46 096,46113

yup - that's the one I thought you meant.

tends to open flatter---a strong point for easier writing. By the way,
you may want to check your arithmetic. $30.00 for 600 pages works out
to .05 a page, so infinity is more expensive.

uh.. it's $30 for two refills. 1200 pages. :-) nanny nanny boo boo...
ducking and running

like a spiral notebook. They achieve their strength from the leather
cover when they are inserted in it. It all depends on what you want for
a journal.

yup - and the thought of being spoiled rotten with that purdy leather cover
for Christmas appeals to me.

Buuut. that said - it sounds like the Everyman really is more what I am
looking for because I can be pretty abusive to a journal. 'sides - there's
other goodies I wanna bug hubby for for Christmas. geez, it's not even June
yet and I'm already plotting. it's because I've spent my pen budget for the
year.

Reuben who hopes this helps

yup - it did. Thanks. I really think if the sewn will lie flatter that will
make a difference. Though I do love Levenger leather. The Everyman is
larger and that's not a plus for me. Maybe it would be in the long run. And
that would add to the "value" of it perhaps. I just usually carry a smaller
journal. maybe it's time for a change anyway - after I fill my remaining 3
journals (cheapies.)

thanks
kcat

Old May 23rd 04, 11:59 PM
KCat

"Try this" ... ? Was there a link missing here?

yup - see his reply to me above - it's called the Everyman Journal and is
from a company called Lee Valley Tools.

Like many books I have purchased, I haven't started using it until I
can invent a reason.

I have two journals and a planner. All bought on sale. The planner well -
it's just that. a cool little thing I got as a closeout from B&N. Cheap
leather - but nice paper - I'll probably go back next Christmas and hope
they have more.

The two journals:

1) Exacompta - nice smooth paper that is FP friendly in that respect. But
very thin paper that allows bleed through from all but my lightest inks. I
use it for recording the major events of the day if there were any.

2) a $3 cheapie from Big Lots that I wish I'd stocked up on. Nothing fancy
but the front bends back to act as further support, it's spiral and the
pages are very FP friendly both in texture and weight. my darkest inks are
barely visible from opposite sides of the page.

3) well - I use one journal for keeping up with ink and pen purchases which
isn't necessary but fun

i could probably find more excuses for a new journal. :-)

Old May 24th 04, 12:10 AM
Reuben S. Pitts III

KCat wrote:

"Reuben S. Pitts III" wrote in message

tends to open flatter---a strong point for easier writing. By the way,
you may want to check your arithmetic. $30.00 for 600 pages works out
to .05 a page, so infinity is more expensive.

uh.. it's $30 for two refills. 1200 pages. :-) nanny nanny boo boo...
ducking and running

You're absolutely right about the two refills. I checked the Levenger
catalog and they are very clear on that point. I took my original info
from the web page and they are not clear that you get two refills.

Reuben

Old May 24th 04, 01:03 AM
Bluesea

"KCat" wrote in message

[...]

1) Thanks. I came close to buying one and have wondered if I made a mistake
in not doing so. It's nice to know that I didn't.

3) One whole journal just for pen and ink purchases? Uh-oh, now you're
getting me concerned about the (online) company I'm keeping .

Here's an idea for you - a journal of favorite/inspiring sayings, quotes,
phrases, etc.

--
~~Bluesea~~who files receipts and has lists on plain-o binder paper :P

Old May 24th 04, 02:52 AM
C.

I've said it before....The Blueline A796.01 Record. 200 pages of great
paper, numbered pages, nice margins, hardcover, lies flat, and looks so
professional that you'll pay yourself for writing in it.

C.