First time FP buyer/user

Old September 4th 04, 04:20 PM
KCat

"Allen" wrote in message
m...
The Targa and Core nibs would not be considered flexible. A flexible nib

is
one that has tines that spread to allow for variation in the line made by
the pen such that one can write script that is vintage or old fashioned.
Only a few people still write in this manner as it takes a lot of patience
and skill.

It takes a lot of patience and skill to write Spencerian or Copperplate
which are the forms of writing that use these flexible nibs.

it does not take a lot of skill (though perhaps some patience for folks new
to it) to use a flexible nib for everyday writing.

The Core is the nail of nails - nails have their place - rapid note-taking
for example. For a more relaxed write I use everything from a firm nib to
semi-flex to flex. Haven't had the opportunity to try super flex yet.

Old September 4th 04, 11:16 PM
Bluesea

"Strider" wrote in message
On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 00:01:19 -0400, Garglemonster
wrote:

the core has a nice nib, but some people really hate the
ergonomics and/or the looks. this is a pen you have to try before
buying, especially if you're on a tight budget.

Actually my complaint is the opposite. Everyone tells me the core has
a stiff nib, I like flexible or I can't tell nibs ( the Targa is it's
nib flexible or not, not enough nib presence to know ).

Yes, the Core has a stiff nib.

Of the modern pens, AFAIK, only the Namiki Falcon is flexible, producing a
line width that varies. Others, like the Parker Sonnet, are semi-flex.

Or, do you mean springy, the opposite of stiff?

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old September 4th 04, 11:17 PM
Bluesea

"Allen" wrote in message
m...
The Targa and Core nibs would not be considered flexible. A flexible nib

is
one that has tines that spread to allow for variation in the line made by
the pen such that one can write script that is vintage or old fashioned.
Only a few people still write in this manner as it takes a lot of patience
and skill.

Yes. It's easy to write normally with a flex nib, however, as I do with my
Namiki Falcons.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old September 5th 04, 12:36 AM
KCat

"Bluesea" wrote in message

Yes. It's easy to write normally with a flex nib, however, as I do with my
Namiki Falcons.

brace yourself... or perhaps all the flex police will be busy this weekend.

I like the Falcon - it's not as flexy as my vintage pens that have flex
nibs, but it's a comfy pen and fun to use.

Old September 5th 04, 12:38 AM
KCat

"Bluesea" wrote in message
Of the modern pens, AFAIK, only the Namiki Falcon is flexible, producing a
line width that varies. Others, like the Parker Sonnet, are semi-flex.

I think OMAS makes or is making or did make a modern flex nib. I understand
it isn't a wet noodle but still decently flexible.

at least... I think it was OMAS... well, at any rate, there is at least one
other company making flexible nibs

Old September 5th 04, 12:53 AM
Bluesea

"KCat" wrote in message
m...
"Bluesea" wrote in message

Yes. It's easy to write normally with a flex nib, however, as I do with

my
Namiki Falcons.

brace yourself... or perhaps all the flex police will be busy this

weekend.

I like the Falcon - it's not as flexy as my vintage pens that have flex
nibs, but it's a comfy pen and fun to use.

Ah. As I have no experience with vintage pens other than a Parker Vacumatic,
I should have said, "It's easy for me to write normally with a flex nib pen
like the Namiki Falcon."

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old September 5th 04, 12:55 AM
Bluesea

"KCat" wrote in message
news

"Bluesea" wrote in message
Of the modern pens, AFAIK, only the Namiki Falcon is flexible, producing

line width that varies. Others, like the Parker Sonnet, are semi-flex.

I think OMAS makes or is making or did make a modern flex nib. I

understand
it isn't a wet noodle but still decently flexible.

at least... I think it was OMAS... well, at any rate, there is at least

one
other company making flexible nibs

That's good to know. I really like the way my handwriting looks with the
Falcon, but it may not suit everyone and variety is the spice of life,
anyway.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old September 5th 04, 05:10 AM
Garglemonster

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 23:38:11 GMT, "KCat" said:

KCat "Bluesea" wrote in
KCat message
KCat ...
Of the modern pens, AFAIK, only the Namiki Falcon is flexible,
producing a line width that varies. Others, like the Parker
Sonnet, are semi-flex.

KCat I think OMAS makes or is making or did make a modern flex
KCat nib. I understand it isn't a wet noodle but still decently
KCat flexible.

so does Pilot. it's called the "Falcon", but it's _not_ the nib on
what they call a Falcon in the US (the Erabo in Japan). The Falcon
nib has notches notches on both sides of the breather hole. Here's my
ascii art version:

^
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \

| |
| FA |

I don't think the Erabo nib has the notches.

--

Bo Derek ruined my life!