First time FP buyer/user

Old April 19th 04, 01:51 AM
ArmsTom

Default First time FP buyer/user

Hey there everyone.

I've grown tired of the "5 for $3.97" pens you buy at WalMart and thought
I'd give a fountain pen a go. I'm a college student, so cost is a factor.
I don't /really/ want to spend above $50. I'm also a complete newbie to
foutain pens, so I want something that is relatively hassle free. At this
stage, I'm not looking to be a collector (so, perhaps this is the wrong
group :-)), but just have a desire to use something different. If anyone
has any recommendations, that'd be great.

Thanks for taking the time to read - and hopefully for taking the time to
reply

Arms
Old April 19th 04, 02:29 AM
LAllin

On 18-Apr-2004, ArmsTom wrote:

Hey there everyone.

I've grown tired of the "5 for $3.97" pens you buy at WalMart and thought
I'd give a fountain pen a go. I'm a college student, so cost is a factor.

I don't /really/ want to spend above $50. I'm also a complete newbie to
foutain pens, so I want something that is relatively hassle free. At this

stage, I'm not looking to be a collector (so, perhaps this is the wrong
group :-)), but just have a desire to use something different. If anyone
has any recommendations, that'd be great.

Thanks for taking the time to read - and hopefully for taking the time to
reply

Arms

One of the finest writing pens I have ever had is a Sheafer Triumph
Imperial; currently being liquidated at Arcamax for $10. Take a look at:
http://www.arcamax.com/cgi-bin/shop?...&offer=cs11418

x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Old April 19th 04, 03:03 AM
marlinspike

www.oscarbraunpens.com has a very good deal on Waterman Expert II's (only
$19.98). The usual price is about $50, and the list price is crazy high.
Also, check out the Pelikan 200 and Lamy Safari and Lamy Al-star.
Richard

Old April 19th 04, 03:40 AM
Garglemonster

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 00:51:15 GMT, ArmsTom said:

ArmsTom Hey there everyone. I've grown tired of the "5 for
ArmsTom $3.97" pens you buy at WalMart and thought I'd give a
ArmsTom fountain pen a go. I'm a college student, so cost is a
ArmsTom factor. I don't /really/ want to spend above $50. I'm
ArmsTom also a complete newbie to foutain pens, so I want
ArmsTom something that is relatively hassle free. At this stage,
ArmsTom I'm not looking to be a collector (so, perhaps this is
ArmsTom the wrong group :-)), but just have a desire to use
ArmsTom something different. If anyone has any recommendations,
ArmsTom that'd be great.

i've tried most of the ones currently available, and in my opinion,
the nicest cheap fountain pen is the waterman phileas. if you want a
piston filler, the pelikan m200 is also good.

--

Send your questions to ``ASK ZIPPY'', Box 40474, San Francisco, CA
94140, USA
Old April 19th 04, 04:44 AM
Tim McNamara

ArmsTom writes:

Hey there everyone.

I've grown tired of the "5 for $3.97" pens you buy at WalMart and
thought I'd give a fountain pen a go. I'm a college student, so
cost is a factor. I don't /really/ want to spend above $50. I'm
also a complete newbie to foutain pens, so I want something that is
relatively hassle free. At this stage, I'm not looking to be a
collector (so, perhaps this is the wrong group :-)), but just have a
desire to use something different. If anyone has any
recommendations, that'd be great.

Man, there are options and options for great writing pens under $50.
Check out:

http://www.swisherpens.com
http://www.oscarbraunpens.com (I think that's right)
http://www.fountainpenhospital.com

just for starters. We won't even mention the vintage options at this
point, but there are many excellent writing vintage pens that can be
had for under $50. OK, I mentioned them, so sue me! Consider a
Sheaffer Touchdown or an Eversharp Skyline for great cheap writers.
Nathan Tardif is a great source for these- I don't have the URL handy
right now but he's easy to find via Google. He's got a Web site
through AOL called "repairpens." Richard Binder's Web site
(http://www.richardspens.com) is a great source for information on
vintage pens.

Old April 19th 04, 06:48 AM
Bluesea

"ArmsTom" wrote in message
Hey there everyone.

I've grown tired of the "5 for $3.97" pens you buy at WalMart and thought
I'd give a fountain pen a go. I'm a college student, so cost is a factor.
I don't /really/ want to spend above $50. I'm also a complete newbie to
foutain pens, so I want something that is relatively hassle free. At this
stage, I'm not looking to be a collector (so, perhaps this is the wrong
group :-)), but just have a desire to use something different. If anyone
has any recommendations, that'd be great.

Thanks for taking the time to read - and hopefully for taking the time to
reply

Arms

Hey, yourself -

I don't think you'd go wrong with a Waterman Phileas. It's a wonderfully
smooth pen and the kit (cartridges, bottle of ink, converter, etc.) costs
~$30-$35. Waterman also has a Harley Davidson Free Wheel that's available
for ~$20.

You might prefer a Cross ATX. It retails for $60 and $70 depending on finish
but can be found for $45.

The Parker Reflex isn't as smooth as either the Phileas or ATX, but at $7
(Wal-Mart, Staples) might serve well as a first pen for the wallet-minded. A
converter can be bought separately from various sources online if you can't
find one locally. I've got a couple of pens that cost more than $50 and $100
but still use the Reflex.

I bought a Sheaffer Javelin for $15 only yesterday so, it's too soon for me
to say how I like it. The converter is extra.

Lamy Safari is also good. The cost varies from $20 - $30 so shop around.
It's also available as the see-through Vista and aluminum Al-Star (though
I've heard that the Al-Star finish scratches more easily than the Safari).
The converter is sold separately.

If you want to sample the fountain pen experience w/o risking too much
capital, you might want to first try a Pilot disposable called Varsity that
costs only $3.

When you're ready to spend more than $50, please consider the push-button,
retractable-nibbed Pilot Vanishing Point or the Namiki Falcon (my favorite)
which has a flex nib.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old April 19th 04, 07:06 AM
Michael Wright

ArmsTom wrote:
Hey there everyone.

I've grown tired of the "5 for $3.97" pens you buy at WalMart and thought
I'd give a fountain pen a go. I'm a college student, so cost is a factor.
I don't /really/ want to spend above $50.

SNIP

In addition to all the other good suggestions, I like the Pelikan
Futur. The Aurora Style would also just fit in your budget.

This is a good price range to buy in: most people report
excellent results with pens in the $10 - $30 range, which can't
always be said for the expensive pens. You can afford to buy
whatever feels and looks right for you.

One old pen you might consider is a Parker 51 with Aerometric
filling. You could, probably, find one in sound working order
with minor cosmetic blemishes within your budget. More were made
of these than any other single fountain pen, and there was a
reason. Some find them a little boring, but they are excellent
for someone new to fountain pens, as well as being a mid-20th
century icon.

Have fun

Old April 19th 04, 07:21 PM
morten

One of the finest writing pens I have ever had is a Sheafer Triumph
Imperial; currently being liquidated at Arcamax for $10. Take a look at:
http://www.arcamax.com/cgi-bin/shop?...&offer=cs11418

x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Wait a sec. Did't think Sheaffer was making these anymore. A
Triumph?? Where are these coming from that ARCAMAX can sell them for
$10???
Old April 19th 04, 07:33 PM
kcat

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 00:51:15 GMT, ArmsTom wrote:

Hey there everyone.

I've grown tired of the "5 for $3.97" pens you buy at WalMart and thought
I'd give a fountain pen a go. I'm a college student, so cost is a factor.
I don't /really/ want to spend above $50. I'm also a complete newbie to
foutain pens, so I want something that is relatively hassle free. At this
stage, I'm not looking to be a collector (so, perhaps this is the wrong
group :-)), but just have a desire to use something different. If anyone
has any recommendations, that'd be great.

Thanks for taking the time to read - and hopefully for taking the time to
reply

Arms

Phileas or Kultur (same pen, different finishes - same great nib)

Pelikan M200

Pelikan M200

and maybe the Pelikan... just kidding. These are the two pens I
started with and as others pointed out can be had for great prices at
Oscar Braun Pens.

You can ask Pam to check the nib for you (whatever pen you order) - I
don't believe she charges extra for that but even if it's an extra $5
it's worth it.

Why? because anyone new to the FP experience should have the best
first experience with an FP possible. Since quality control is not
what it used to be - even the most recommended pens can have problems.

I've had at least 5 Phileases pass through my hands - all of which
were inked and tested. All had very smooth, good flowing nibs. (all
were fines I think) For the OBP price - they're great.

The Lamy Safari is also an excellent pen but you may not care for the
grip.

Another aspect about ordering from Pam and other much-lauded on-line
sellers - they have great customer service.

if at all possible though - it would be good for you to test drive
some pens before buying.

weight is an issue - if you like a lightweight pen - I would stay away
from the Cross and heavier Waterman pens. I believe the Expert II is
fairly weighty. Pelikan and Lamy pens are quite lightweight.

have fun. I don't consider myself a collector but an enthusiast. I
have a small number of FPs (mostly Pelikans.) So any questions
FPs are acceptable here. I also recommend checking out "Rambling
Snail" and Pentrace. no URLs handy but easy enough to find with a
quick web search using those names.

***********************************
KCat - I am not a medical professional. The contents of this post are based soley on my experiences and opinions
http://www.ghg.net/schwerpt/kcspages/
http://www.ghg.net/schwerpt/ASLFAQ/

("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._
(`6_ 6 ) `-. ( ).`-.__.'`)
(_Y_.)' ._ ) `._ `. ``-..-''
_..`--'_..-_/ /--'_.' ,'
(()),-'' (()),' (((.-'
Old April 19th 04, 09:09 PM
Prashant Singh

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 05:48:18 +0000, Bluesea wrote:

I bought a Sheaffer Javelin for $15 only yesterday so, it's too soon for me
to say how I like it. The converter is extra.

Once you've had a chance to decide about the Javelin, please post your
thoughts. I'm considering getting a Javelin or a Rotring Freeway.

Where did you find it for $15? I've mostly seen $20.

Thanks,
prashant.