What is it worth? ...Jefferson Nickels

Old April 13th 05, 09:31 PM
xaviery4

Default What is it worth? ...Jefferson Nickels

Hi All,

I have sent a few coins off to be certified and am expecting them any day now.
At the recent show in Baltimore, a few dealers have offered to by the coins if
they came back at a minimum grade of MS65 Full Steps. I had (2) 1954-S graded
by NCG both at ms-66, they forgot to view the steps and I was offered a regrade
after several calls of "playing tag". I also sent a 1953-S in FS, it came back
ms-66...boy was I frizzled at them for not looking at the steps.

I am thankful I signed up for their Collector's Society before completing their
dealer sign-up.

I collect Jefferson Nickels by roll, so I know what the roll prices are and how
high over bid/ask I am willing to go for a specific date, but I can find little
information of single coins in high grade.

For instance, the 1954-S Jefferson with Full Steps @ ms-65 is worth how much?
how about at ms-66 and ms-67?

I know PCGS publishes a web-based price guide that really has not changed for
the past few years (in the Jefferson category prior to 1965) and those prices
feel a bit stale.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best Regards,
Xavier

Old April 14th 05, 02:57 AM
winwin

I have sent a few coins off to be certified and am expecting them
any day now.
At the recent show in Baltimore, a few dealers have offered to by the
coins if
they came back at a minimum grade of MS65 Full Steps. I had (2) 1954-S
graded
by NCG both at ms-66, they forgot to view the steps and I was offered a
regrade
after several calls of "playing tag". I also sent a 1953-S in FS, it
came back
ms-66...boy was I frizzled at them for not looking at the steps

Jeffersons are often poorly struck, and nickels with full steps,
especially so designated by PCGS/NGC, are much more valuable than coins
the same grade without the designation. All the grading services have
changed their standards over time, but NGC is now designating number of
steps (5 or 6). ANACS always has done this, even giving 5.5 steps to
many coins. PCGS coins always have full steps if they get the FS on
the label.

Nornally, you have to pay extra ("variety designation") if you want
this on your slab. NGC charges extra for this service, and that may be
why they "didn't look" at it; you didn't request it and pay more for
it.

For prices, check "Coin Prices" in Coin World; they now publish FS
prices. Also check the price list of the Full Step Jefferson group,
formed by collectors who specialize in fully-struck Jefferson nickels.

Regards,
Tom

Old April 14th 05, 10:44 AM
Aram H. Haroutunian

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:31:35 -0400, "xaviery4"
wrote:

[...]

Is there a price for a circulated roll of 1948 S Jeffs?
Aram.
Old April 14th 05, 12:45 PM
xaviery4

"winwin" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply.

Oddly enough, when I was playing phone tag with NGC, they stated it is not a
variety designation, but rather their graders were in a hurry to prep for a coin
show and made a mistake. PCGS also stated at a recent show Full Steps are not
considered a variety, as all regular issue first strikes would have had Full
unblemished Steps.

br,
Xavier

Old April 14th 05, 12:46 PM
xaviery4

wrote:

[...]

what is the grade...how "BU" is it?

Old April 14th 05, 06:21 PM
Aram H. Haroutunian

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 07:46:13 -0400, "xaviery4"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Not BU. Circulated. A roll.
Aram.

Old April 15th 05, 08:05 AM
winwin

Oddly enough, when I was playing phone tag with NGC, they stated it
is not a
variety designation, but rather their graders were in a hurry to prep
for a coin
show and made a mistake. PCGS also stated at a recent show Full Steps
are not
considered a variety, as all regular issue first strikes would have had
Full
unblemished Steps.

Hi Xavier-
Odd that NGC said they omitted the "FS" designation as a "mistake." I
haven't had precise experience with Jefferson nickels, but I know they
have returned Franklins to me without the FBL designation because I did
not pay the extra $4 for "variety designation."

And the statement from PCGS seems plain wrong. Unless you are talking
about 2004 or later nickels, without the effigy of Monticello on them,
it is clear that many nickels are weakly struck or dinged in the
minting process and do not qualify for a FS designation.

Regards,
Tom