Turkey queries

Old March 20th 10, 04:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Nick Bridgwater[_2_]

Default Turkey queries

1) I've got a touch of catalogue-blindness - can anyone help ?

In an old printed album for Turkey that I've just acquired it has spaces
for 6 stamps dated 1909 (5pa, 10pa, 20pa, 1pi, 2pi & 2½pi) which appear to
be for stamps of 1908 (Sultan Abdul-Hamid II) overprinted for the accession
of Sultan Mehmed V. The album contains 3 of the 6 stamps and the
overprints appear to have the date "1325" which is OK for 1909.

See scan at http://cjoint.com/data/durLfDwz6A.htm

I cannot find these in either Gibbons or Michel ?

2) Second query - I've also got this rather creased overprint on top of the
overprinted 1pi of 1915 - http://cjoint.com/data/durNc2umPr.htm
It's the black overprint that is confusing me.

Can anyone please help ?

Regards,
Nick
Old March 20th 10, 10:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Not Catalogue blindness Nick.

I would hold these in doubt.
Perhaps the original owner hinged them there because he could not find
a place either

My SG1963 does not show any overprint on the 1908 Type25 other than the turkish "B" for discount.
Yours are clearly Type 25

In 1909 the plates for T25 had the central inscrip erased and a new inscription placed
(at the moment I cannot see the text difference)
One can see the design difference by the three vert strokes at top of tougra, they now lean to the left.

The only other option left is to have them somewhere BOB
or turkish influence elsewhere
I certainly couldn't see a vaguely familiar opt anywhere.

BTW my SG shows 34 entries for the Sultan Mohamed 5 includes perf varieties.

Old March 21st 10, 09:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Nick Bridgwater[_2_]

Thanks for having a look Rodney.

The old printed album might be using Yvert numbers according to a hand-
written note on the front - in which case they might be Yvert cat no's
139-143. Anyone got an Yvert catalogue for Turkey handy ??

And any ideas on the second (black) overprint

"rodney" pookiethai@NOSPAM iprimus.com.au wrote in
:

Old March 21st 10, 11:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

I looked at both Nick,
if I can take your scans,
I can take them elsewhere for appraisal.

rodney

"Nick Bridgwater"

Old March 21st 10, 02:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Nick Bridgwater[_2_]

That would be great, do you want me to email them ? To where, your tag
without the "nospam "?

Nick

"rodney" pookiethai@NOSPAM iprimus.com.au wrote in news:ho539a$ngj$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

Old March 21st 10, 10:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

received OK
Thanks Nick.

Old March 22nd 10, 12:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Solved
http://cjoint.com/data/dwcQGmpFxe.htm

Now just the top ones

"Nick Bridgwater"

Old March 22nd 10, 01:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

http://cjoint.com/data/dwdiRfU8XB.htm

http://cjoint.com/data/dwdjXjzfwk.htm

Old March 22nd 10, 09:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Nick Bridgwater[_2_]

"rodney" pookiethai@NOSPAM iprimus.com.au wrote in
Thanks for solving the Arabian Government overprint.

Regarding the others with the overprint, I've found some further stamps
in the "set" on Delcampe that indicate they were overprinted at Jaffa
for the accession of Sultan Mohamed (Mehmet) V in 1909. So it looks like
a local overprint ?

Regards,
Nick

:

Old March 22nd 10, 03:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Nick Bridgwater[_2_]

It was catalogue blindness !

They are in Michel under the Local stamps (Lokalausgaben) under
Jaffa/Smyrna - 6 values overprinted in each location (mine are Jaffa) for
the accession of Sultan Mehmed Resad.

Regards,
Nick

Nick Bridgwater No@Spam wrote in
. 109.145:

"rodney" pookiethai@NOSPAM iprimus.com.au wrote in
Thanks for solving the Arabian Government overprint.

Regarding the others with the overprint, I've found some further stamps
in the "set" on Delcampe that indicate they were overprinted at Jaffa
for the accession of Sultan Mohamed (Mehmet) V in 1909. So it looks like
a local overprint ?

Regards,
Nick

General queries. Blair (TC) General Discussion 0 November 3rd 09 12:28 PM
Nigeria queries. rodney General Discussion 5 September 10th 09 08:49 AM
Turkey queries. Rod General Discussion 9 January 6th 07 12:16 AM
U.S. queries. Rodney General Discussion 11 June 2nd 05 04:27 AM
US queries. Rodney General Discussion 4 August 26th 04 06:38 AM