I gotta sell more Blizzards. I gotta sell more cones. I gotta sell more hamburgers. I gotta sell more Peanut Buster Parfaits. I gotta sell....

Old October 6th 03, 04:40 AM
Bill Krummel

Default I gotta sell more Blizzards. I gotta sell more cones. I gotta sell more hamburgers. I gotta sell more Peanut Buster Parfaits. I gotta sell....

I really wanted this one bad;

http://tinyurl.com/pu5m

Marked the auction to watch this morning. Tonight, I set my snipe bid for
$89.13 and waited. I refreshed a second window with 40 seconds to go and
the bid was still at $67.xx. Man, I thought it was mine and my thoughts
went to the apologetic post I would make to the group for paying such a
premium for the toned coin I had won (PCGS, which is often on the high side,
lists MS65 at $49). But, for one of the scarce times in my life, I didn't
care. I just knew this was a keeper, and I wanted it for my collection. I
hit the bid button with 13 seconds to go. I was confident. I waited a few
seconds for the auction to end and refreshed again, wondering only how much
of my snipe did it take to win.

Well, heck. I guess if I sold more DQ, I could enter a snipe bid of $1,000
and have a better chance. Bill

Old October 6th 03, 05:00 AM
Jorg Lueke

Those classic commems are really picing up some good bids recently. The
good thing is if you keep losing these auctions your ebay money pile will
grow and you'll be able to get that Hawaii or Pan-Pac $50 :-)
Old October 6th 03, 06:27 AM
Ron

Man, it's sad but funny when you look at auctions and notice 2-3 names
that you recognize bidding on them.

I saw yours, Bill, and also a person you outbid you, then you outbid,
from the PCGS boards.

That has only happened to me once....and she won the unopened 1964
proof sets

Anyway, Hopefully you aren't upset about losing by $1 (because you
never know how much they were prepared to pay...they might have put in
a snipe bid of $100 or more) since you were thinking about 1/2 what
your max was.

Good luck searching for the next one.

Ron

Old October 6th 03, 06:43 AM
Bill Krummel

"Jorg Lueke" wrote in message
news
Those classic commems are really picing up some good bids recently. The
good thing is if you keep losing these auctions your ebay money pile will
grow and you'll be able to get that Hawaii or Pan-Pac $50 :-)

I never can let my eBay money pile grow. I will have to buy the Hawaiian or
the Pan-Pac on layaway, with monthly installments. If I get a couple of
hundred built up in my PayPal account, my keyboard fingers start itching and
I am drawn to the glow of the monitor, and I have to go looking. When I
look, I always bid. Lots of bids. With lots of bids, I generally win a
few. Keeps the money pile from building. Bill

Old October 6th 03, 06:46 AM
Bill Krummel

"Ron" wrote in message
Man, it's sad but funny when you look at auctions and notice 2-3 names
that you recognize bidding on them.

I saw yours, Bill, and also a person you outbid you, then you outbid,
from the PCGS boards.

That has only happened to me once....and she won the unopened 1964
proof sets

Anyway, Hopefully you aren't upset about losing by $1 (because you
never know how much they were prepared to pay...they might have put in
a snipe bid of $100 or more) since you were thinking about 1/2 what
your max was.

Good luck searching for the next one.

Ron

Naw, not upset. I know the other guys proxy could be more than I was
willing to pay. Then again, I had planned on a $95 snipe, then toned that
back to $89 and odd change. What if........oh, good grief.

Bill

Old October 6th 03, 03:49 PM
Randy Thompson

"Bill Krummel" wrote in message ...
[...]

That's a nice looking coin, for a Washington-Carver. That and the BTW
are two designs I really don't care much for. I decided that when I
got mine I would make sure they had attractive toning to make up for
the lack of design appeal. I still need to get the Washington-Carver
but I picked up a BTW recently.

Like you, I bid a good bit over list. I had planned on getting an
MS-65 because of the huge price increase after that, but when I found
this MS-66 I just went for it. It came last Friday and it looks very
close to the image, but with nice luster hiding under a yellow-green
glow. I started to post a link to the auction but I noticed he has
taken down the images. I'll try to put them back up and post a link
tonight.
Old October 7th 03, 05:16 AM
Bill Krummel

"Randy Thompson" wrote in message
om...
(Randy Thompson) wrote in message

. com...

That's a nice looking coin, for a Washington-Carver. That and the BTW
are two designs I really don't care much for. I decided that when I
got mine I would make sure they had attractive toning to make up for
the lack of design appeal. I still need to get the Washington-Carver
but I picked up a BTW recently.

Like you, I bid a good bit over list. I had planned on getting an
MS-65 because of the huge price increase after that, but when I found
this MS-66 I just went for it. It came last Friday and it looks very
close to the image, but with nice luster hiding under a yellow-green
glow. I started to post a link to the auction but I noticed he has
taken down the images. I'll try to put them back up and post a link
tonight.

Ok, I loaded the images up on my web space. (I always save the images
from auctions I win to make sure I get the same coin.) They were huge
BMPs so I converted them to jpg first but they are still a bit large.

http://webpages.charter.net/thompson...pages/BTW.html

Maybe I shouldn't volunteer this opinion, but I like the one I didn't win
Sunday (MS65) quite a bit better than this MS66. However, perhaps a
different feeling were I to see it in hand. Still, looking at the monitor
image, I would rather the color not be on the bust so much, or a much
lighter tone. I like the reverse just fine. And, I like your coin better
than any white coin. I'm like you, if I am not fond of the design, the
color has to make up for it.

I hit on three auctions today. I think I am done until after Christmas,
unless I have no self control.

My first Albany;

http://tinyurl.com/pz69

I don't know if this is a keeper and if it will be my last Albany. I will
have to live with it for awhile before I decide whether to marry it or dump
it.

This next one finishes my San Diegos (if it's a keeper, but I really like
the image). Bought both San Diegos in the last week or two and they weren't
high priority for me. But I can't buy a low mintage coin for a decent
price, thanks to you know who, so I am not following my personal priorities
for now. Here;

http://tinyurl.com/pz6n

Tonight, I bought my second 1934 Texas. Here;

http://tinyurl.com/pz6u

I'm not sure why I bid. A little bit of buyer's remorse on this one. I
have a raw 34 Texas that's nice, although not necessarily a keeper. The one
in this auction does not strike me as a keeper, but maybe I'll change my
mind. I will definitely compare to my raw and lose the one I like least in
the near future. Heck, I may lose them both and be Texas 34less for
awhile, just to get some more cash.

Bill

Old October 7th 03, 04:17 PM
Randy Thompson

"Bill Krummel" wrote in message ...

Maybe I shouldn't volunteer this opinion, but I like the one I didn't win
Sunday (MS65) quite a bit better than this MS66. However, perhaps a
different feeling were I to see it in hand. Still, looking at the monitor
image, I would rather the color not be on the bust so much, or a much
lighter tone. I like the reverse just fine. And, I like your coin better
than any white coin. I'm like you, if I am not fond of the design, the
color has to make up for it.

Opinions are always welcome and tastes vary. The color on the BTW is
not quite as dark as the image, especially on the reverse. The color
on the obverse also doesn't look quite so "caked" on as the image
looks. I like the colors on the one you didn't win, but I don't care
for coins with that speckled tone. I'm not sure what causes a coin to
tone like that but I much prefer one where the tone gradually changes
across the surface. Still, that one would be welcome in my collection
despite that drawback.

I hit on three auctions today. I think I am done until after Christmas,
unless I have no self control.

My first Albany;

http://tinyurl.com/pz69

I don't know if this is a keeper and if it will be my last Albany. I will
have to live with it for awhile before I decide whether to marry it or dump
it.

I looked at that one and didn't like the splotchy toning. It's not
that bad but I was looking for a reason not to spend any more money
than I already have lately.

This next one finishes my San Diegos (if it's a keeper, but I really like
the image). Bought both San Diegos in the last week or two and they weren't
high priority for me. But I can't buy a low mintage coin for a decent
price, thanks to you know who, so I am not following my personal priorities
for now. Here;

http://tinyurl.com/pz6n

I looked at that one too and passed. I really don't need another San
Diego since I'm only working on a type set and the streaky toning was
a bit distracting. I think I can live with the streaky toning better
than the splotchy though and you got it for a great price.

Tonight, I bought my second 1934 Texas. Here;

http://tinyurl.com/pz6u

I'm not sure why I bid. A little bit of buyer's remorse on this one. I
have a raw 34 Texas that's nice, although not necessarily a keeper. The one
in this auction does not strike me as a keeper, but maybe I'll change my
mind. I will definitely compare to my raw and lose the one I like least in
the near future. Heck, I may lose them both and be Texas 34less for
awhile, just to get some more cash.

I didn't even look at this one. I already have two Texas commems,
both in 65, and I didn't need to spend any money on a third. I was
tracking a 66 that closed last night, only because it was really cheap
up intil near close. Then I let it go.

I just picked up a Long Island that I won last weekend. I was going
out of town Saturday and the auction closed Sunday night. I put what
I thought was a low but reasonable bid on it. I didn't expect to win
but I did for about $1.25 less than my max. I haven't looked it over
good yet but I'm pretty sure I'll be looking for an upgrade. It's in
an NGC MS-64 slab but I'm not sure how it got there. Maybe it had a
trip to NCS with a grade guarantee or something. It looks overdipped
and a bit scruffy. Oh well, you can't win them all.
Old October 7th 03, 05:57 PM
WinWinscenario

I hit on three auctions today. I think I am done until after Christmas,
unless I have no self control.

WARNING!! DO NOT look at the Teletrade auction this Sunday!!

Regards,
Tom