San Francisco Old Mint Commemoratives Gold and Silver?

Old August 16th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael

Default San Francisco Old Mint Commemoratives Gold and Silver?

When did the US Mint sneak these in? I got an email from them today
about and and didnt see it coming. Had no problem ordering mine unlike
the usual slow system problems as with the Franklin Commem.

Old August 17th 06, 04:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
ronrpk

On 16 Aug 2006 13:40:28 -0700, "Michael" wrote:

When did the US Mint sneak these in? I got an email from them today
about and and didnt see it coming. Had no problem ordering mine unlike
the usual slow system problems as with the Franklin Commem.

Not sure. I didn't even get an e-mail. Glad I got on the NG tonight.
Just placed an order for 2 of each (UNC and Proof), already says
backordered. Couldn't quite get myself to buy any of the Legacy sets.
Way to pricey (will probably increase nicely since I didn't buy any).

I don't remember seeing anything on the Mint's product schedule
either. Thought I was done with most of my 2006 Mint purchases (guess
not).

Also, what is this American Eagle 20th Anniversary Coin Set? Don't
remember seeing that.

-- Ron K
Old August 17th 06, 06:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jim Seymour

ronrpk wrote:
Not sure. I didn't even get an e-mail. Glad I got on the NG
tonight. Just placed an order for 2 of each (UNC and Proof), already
says backordered. [...]

Just in case anyone else is confused about this...

The legislation was pushed through Congress rather quickly and the mint
had to scramble a bit to get the designs approved in time so that they
could produce the actual coins in calendar year 2006.

As it stands, they won't be ready until December - thus ALL orders will
show as "backordered". It has nothing to do with how quickly the coins
may or may not be selling.

--
Jim Seymour
Old August 18th 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
bri

"ronrpk" wrote in message
On 16 Aug 2006 13:40:28 -0700, "Michael" wrote:

Also, what is this American Eagle 20th Anniversary Coin Set? Don't
remember seeing that.

-- Ron K

It's a 3 coin SAE set.
The set is supposed to include one proof eagle with a special reverse
design, one regular BU SAE and one with a satin finish--probably look even
more satiny than the bullion coin does.
I think the limit was going to be only 30,000 sets. They are supposed to go
on sale August 30--which is my birthday BTW ;-)

Old August 18th 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
bri

"bri" wrote in message
ink.net...

"ronrpk" wrote in message
On 16 Aug 2006 13:40:28 -0700, "Michael" wrote:

Also, what is this American Eagle 20th Anniversary Coin Set? Don't
remember seeing that.

-- Ron K

It's a 3 coin SAE set.
The set is supposed to include one proof eagle with a special reverse
design, one regular BU SAE and one with a satin finish--probably look even
more satiny than the bullion coin does.
I think the limit was going to be only 30,000 sets. They are supposed to

go
on sale August 30--which is my birthday BTW ;-)

Ooops--dropped a zero--that's 300,000 sets. I think it might be 250,000 sets
with 300,000 of the proofs with the special design offered separately-I can
only go by my memory since I can't seem to find the release info anymore.
Maybe there's a post on some other coin forum that'll have all the
specifics?
OK I shall look and see---

OK I looked around and here are the specifics right here--
http://forums.collectors.com/message...hreadid=531823

American Eagle sets sales to start Aug. 30

Three sets mark 20 th anniversary

The United States Mint is scheduled to begin selling three American Eagle 20
th Anniversary coin sets Aug. 30.

A three-coin silver set will contain the American Eagle 1-ounce silver coins
with three finishes: Proof, Reverse Proof and Uncirculated. It will be
limited to a maximum edition of 250,000. The set will sell for $100.

A three-coin gold set will contain the American Eagle 1-ounce gold coins
with the same three finishes planned for the coins in the silver set. The
cost of the gold set will be $2,610. The set will be limited to a maximum
edition of 10,000.

A two-coin set will contain one each of the Uncirculated American Eagle
1-ounce gold and silver coins. It will be priced at $850. The edition will
be limited to a maximum of 20,000 sets.

Orders will be limited to 10 of each set.

The Reverse Proof finish appears to be a first for the United States Mint,
although other countries have used a finish of the same name. It typically
bears the opposite combination of frosted and mirrored surfaces; the Mint's
normal Proof coins bear frosted raised devices and mirrored fields.

Previously, Mint officials had said the two three-coin sets each might
contain a coin with a Reverse Brilliant Uncirculated finish, instead of the
Reverse Proof coins actually planned.

Mint officials are distinguishing the Uncirculated coins in the sets from
the Uncirculated coins sold through bullion distributors.

The "American Eagle Gold and Silver Uncirculated coins" are being introduced
in 2006, according to a Mint spokesman. The Uncirculated American Eagle
coins in the sets will feature the same finish as their bullion
counterparts, but unlike the American Eagle bullion coins, the American
Eagle Uncirculated coins bear the Mint mark of the facility that produces
them and follow a different path through the manufacturing process.

Specifically, the planchets used for American Eagle Uncirculated coins are
burnished, while those used for American Eagle bullion coins are not.

All of the coins will carry the W Mint mark of the West Point Mint, Mint
officials announced June 16. Normally, only Proof American Eagle bullion
coins bear Mint marks.

The sets will be available from the Mint Web site, www .usmint.gov, and
through the Mint telephone ordering line by calling it at (800) 872-6468. CW

Old August 19th 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
ronrpk

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 23:51:19 GMT, "bri" wrote:

"bri" wrote in message
link.net...

"ronrpk" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds interesting,, thanks for the info. Might have to pick up one
or two sets.

-- Ron K