Rand McNally Elf Books

Old August 31st 04, 12:40 AM
SuperDC

Default Rand McNally Elf Books

Are the Rand McNally Elf books a real collector's item? I found some
up in an attic and have done some searching on the web. Does anyone
have any info about them and what they are worth?

Thanks,
Susan
www.treasures-more.com
Old August 31st 04, 01:44 AM
paghat

In article , SuperDC
wrote:

Are the Rand McNally Elf books a real collector's item? I found some
up in an attic and have done some searching on the web. Does anyone
have any info about them and what they are worth?

Thanks,
Susan
www.treasures-more.com

They were published until the 1980s & most aren't old enough to have much
value. At best Junior Elf Books are second-fiddle to Little Golden Books,
& most of those aren't worth anything either, except the very oldest ones
which are worth a great deal.

Because most crap is collectible to someone, the answer to your query
would generally be "Yes," but collectibility wouldn't translate into value
unless "the oldest ones" applies to the horde you recovered, & the
condition is fine. They're probably only an average value of $4 each for
fine condition, & quickly worth nothing if crayoned or damaged. If you
have them from the 1940s instead of the 70s & 80s however, those could be
worth $10 to $20 each on average, with the first few worth $50 or $75
(more from scoundrals), & then the only question would be are you ever
gonna encounter the right person. Since not one horde out of a thousand
are from the 1940s, I'm betting they're $4 books if no kids wrecked them,
& slow sellers even at half the price.

I just this minute did a quick check at eBay to get an idea what people
are actually willing to bid. Most have minimums of one or two dollars & no
one willing to make any bids -- so the realistic value appears to be
nuttin-honey. But they're nearly all 1960s or later. The mere two
offerings from the 1950s at the moment have three bids each, so really
"getting up there" in the ten dollar range.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"