How about a change in eBay policy to end snipe bidding

Old July 17th 08, 07:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

Default How about a change in eBay policy to end snipe bidding

On Jul 16, 8:04*am, "scottishmoney" wrote:
"bgg" wrote in message news:3509a682-
I'll have to pay more attention the next time that I snipe. *I have
never even noticed the special message.

I got that message yesterday whence I sniped an auction at 0 seconds left,
only the second time in 11+ years on eBay that I have managed to do that.

Proudly a sniper out for that last second kill.

You have to be careful if you go close. About a week ago, after
following an auction for 10 days for a coin that had been on my want
list for a long time, I sniped. But I mixed up the confirm pages, and
when I confirmed my bid, the auction ended one second earlier, give or
take. I was kicking myself ... hard.

My snipe proxy bid was maybe three times higher than the winning bid.
I wanted that coin! It was a private auction, so I asked the seller to
make an offer to the winning bidder. This works more often I think
when the buyer is a dealer. The seller responded about a day later
that he did this but the winning bidder wasn't interested. I kicked
myself again. g

There's more. The seller said he had another coin of the same variety.
These rarely reach the market. He sent me a scan, fairly small. It's
an ancient coin, and the flan looks, maybe, not quite right, maybe
indicating a cast. But the seller, who I've dealt with before, agreed
to send the piece to me on approval. We'll see. Should arrive soon,
maybe tomorrow.

--

Email: (delete "remove this")

Consumer: