How about a change in eBay policy to end snipe bidding

Old July 14th 08, 02:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Voltronicus

Default How about a change in eBay policy to end snipe bidding

On Jul 14, 9:27*am, tony cooper wrote:

As a seller, I don't like sniping. *I have no objections to it on
principle, but it takes away the fun of putting something up on eBay.
There was a time when you could list something and check frequently to
see what action there was on the item. *Now there's no point in
checking on your auction during the course of the seven day run
because there will be few, if any, bids.

Is it your opinion that since all the bidding is generally done in the
last 60 seconds or so of an auction, that a 7 day auction is a waste
of time and a 3 or even 1 day auction would be better?
IMO 7 days gives you a lot of exposure time but usually 3 days is
sufficient and 1 day is too short. But since a 7 day auction costs no
more than a 3 day one (don't know how eBay missed that fee
oportunity!), there's no incentive not to list for 7 days.
Old July 14th 08, 03:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 06:52:36 -0700 (PDT), Voltronicus
wrote:

On Jul 14, 9:27*am, tony cooper wrote:

As a seller, I don't like sniping. *I have no objections to it on
principle, but it takes away the fun of putting something up on eBay.
There was a time when you could list something and check frequently to
see what action there was on the item. *Now there's no point in
checking on your auction during the course of the seven day run
because there will be few, if any, bids.

Is it your opinion that since all the bidding is generally done in the
last 60 seconds or so of an auction, that a 7 day auction is a waste
of time and a 3 or even 1 day auction would be better?

No. I understand the benefit of exposure time. My comment is about
the lack of activity in the first 6 days, 23 hours, and fifty-nine
minutes. It's no fun to watch your listing.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old July 14th 08, 03:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Wookie

From a buyers viewpoint .. the last few minutes is more exciting the way it
is .. from a seller viewpoint I can understand the frustration... also
you're wondering if your coin is selling below or over what you expected.

I don't like the automatic bid thing that will up your bid by 50 cents
automatically. It is one thing for some one to put a max value in .. it is
another to have a computer program to outbid you the last 2 seconds .. I
hate that.

Old July 14th 08, 03:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
rjn

"Donald Weber" wrote:

I'd like to see a change in auctions, such that if anyone bids within the
last 60 seconds of an auction it automatically resets the timer to 60
seconds. In other words, the last 60 seconds would have to be bid free for
the auction to end.

Auto-extensions are extremely frustrating for both buyer and seller,
as well as being disrespectful of their time.

Auto-E also tells the buyer: no bargains here. You might as well go to
Amazon.

In my mind this would a real, "Going Once.... Going
Twice... SOLD !"

And therein lies the problem. eBay is NOT a live auction.
it is close to a sealed-bid second price Vickrey. See:
http://www.tinaja.com/glib/enhebay1.pdf

For those who grok this, sniping is not a problem.
For those who sail in with mistaken preconceptions,
sniping is a problem.

eBay does need to at least educate users about the
dramatic implications of fixed end time.

Comments?

Yes. I'd like eBay to get off the fence and embrace sniping
by offering a "Scheduled Bid" feature for buyers.
They can even charge for it (as long as they don't also
shut off the 3rd-party snipes).

Doing auto-extensions is one of the things that accelerates
the failure of eBay wannabees.

--
Regards, Bob Niland
Old July 14th 08, 05:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Provasek

On Jul 14, 7:55*am, "scottishmoney" wrote:

Even in sniping you get outbid, sometimes with 0 seconds left, it happens to
me. *I do not sit around and whine about it, I just figure well someone
wanted it more than I did. *There is an instance of one particular
collectable which I have lost in the final 10 seconds of the auction on
three or four different auctions, only to find one finally on Lyn Knight in
better condition, and less money. *So if you are patient, what comes around
goes around.

Ebay is supposed to represent the sellers, who are paying ALL the
bills.
Automatic extensions should at least be allowed as a seller auction,

--
RARE COIN AUCTIONS NO RESERVES www.frankcoins.com
http://myworld.ebay.com/frankcoins Texas Auction License
Old July 14th 08, 06:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
scottishmoney

"Frank Provasek" wrote in message

Ebay is supposed to represent the sellers, who are paying ALL the

bills.
Automatic extensions should at least be allowed as a seller auction,

eBay never changed any policy here, it has been their policy since their
debut in 1995. They have changed and made mistakes with feedbacks, etc. but
at least on the auction ending time they are firm. Yahoo Auctions debated
doing this, but where is Yahoo Auction now?

Bid your max, whenever you want to, at the start of the auction or seconds
before it ends, and live with the consequences. You cannot be spoonfed all
your life. I myself lost an auction I bid on in the final seconds to
another sniper bidding higher than I did just this weekend. So what, life
goes on.

Old July 14th 08, 07:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Voltronicus

On Jul 14, 12:21*pm, Frank Provasek wrote:

RARE COIN AUCTIONS NORESERVES www.frankcoins.com

http://myworld.ebay.com/frankcoinsTexas

You are a liar, Provasek.
Your auction have reserves (i.e. This set is offered at fixed price of
$117).
Stop your false advertising!
Old July 14th 08, 08:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

On Jul 14, 1:05*am, "Donald Weber" wrote:
I'd like to see a change in auctions, such that if anyone bids within the
last 60 seconds of an auction it automatically resets the timer to 60
seconds. In other words, the last 60 seconds would have to be bid free for
the auction to end. In my mind this would a real, "Going Once.... Going
Twice... SOLD !"

Yahoo Auctions had this feature, and it's one of the main reasons it
couldn't compete with eBay and went belly up. Yahoo let sellers
optionally automatically extend an auction's close if a bid was
received within a certain time period before the scheduled close.

eBay is set up so that virtually everything is to the benefit of
sellers. Sniping is one of a few exceptions. Sniping is one of the
things that attracts many bidders to eBay, though not all bidders of
course snipe.

Other online auction sites do as you suggest. One automatically
extends the auction's close ten minutes, another one hour, if a bid is
received within an hour before the auction's close. This makes these
auction sites less fun and exciting to bidders.

--

Email: (delete "remove this")

Consumer:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Counterfeit: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos
Old July 14th 08, 08:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Reid Goldsborough" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds to me like the people who prefer sniping should do business with
eBay, while those who favor deadline extension should do business with one
of the other online auction services (although I am unable to identify those
services by name). Coin life is good!

James

Old July 14th 08, 10:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Anthony[_4_]

Donald Weber wrote:
I'd like to see a change in auctions, such that if anyone bids within the
last 60 seconds of an auction it automatically resets the timer to 60
seconds. In other words, the last 60 seconds would have to be bid free for
the auction to end. In my mind this would a real, "Going Once.... Going
Twice... SOLD !"

Comments?

Probably will never happen as that is what happens in a legitimate auction