Redfield hoard

Old July 17th 08, 01:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default Redfield hoard

On Jul 15, 11:23�pm, "don't look" don't wrote:
Has anyone actully seen a MS 65 Morgan in one of the Redfield/Continental
red packs? It looks to me they vary pretty wildly.

Gee, another "hoard" ... reminds me of the people in numismatics.
Old July 17th 08, 03:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Cliff

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 16:22:53 -0500, "PC" wrote:

Frank Provasek wrote:
On Jul 15, 11:23 pm, "don't look" don't wrote:
Has anyone actully seen a MS 65 Morgan in one of the
Redfield/Continental red packs? It looks to me they vary pretty
wildly.

They were correctly graded according to the standards of the mid
1970s.

These would likely have graded MS63 in the late 1980s and perhaps MS64
today.

I thought grading standards become more lax over time, not the other way
around?

When the Redfield hoard was first released they were "slabbed" and
graded using the 1 - 70 grading system (Sheldon's). At the time they
system was not completely embraced by the collecting community. Also,
at that time, if you look at old Greysheets, they only listed MS60 or
MS65 uncirculated grades. The used of 62, 63 and such came much
later. So, at that time, anything that was better than just
uncirculated was labeled 65 and anything that was just uncirculated
was labeled as a 60. Modern grading habits break it down in to all
the sub grades like the mid to high 60s but that was not the practice
when these were encapsulated.
Cliff

Old July 17th 08, 10:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_9_]

Cliff wrote:

When the Redfield hoard was first released they were "slabbed" and
graded using the 1 - 70 grading system (Sheldon's). At the time they
system was not completely embraced by the collecting community. Also,
at that time, if you look at old Greysheets, they only listed MS60 or
MS65 uncirculated grades. The used of 62, 63 and such came much
later. So, at that time, anything that was better than just
uncirculated was labeled 65 and anything that was just uncirculated
was labeled as a 60. Modern grading habits break it down in to all
the sub grades like the mid to high 60s but that was not the practice
when these were encapsulated.

Now I understand. Thank you.