$296,000 Dollars in Coins too heavy for a big truck?

Old July 16th 08, 01:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Arizona Coin Collector

Default $296,000 Dollars in Coins too heavy for a big truck?

Hello

On the story below.

I would love to know how much weight all these
coins added up to. $296,000 Dollars in Coins.

FROM:
http://www.charlotte.com/112/story/713694.html

STORY PHOTO (SHOWING HOW BIG TRUCK WAS):
http://www.charlotte.com/112/story/7...713699-t2.html

Ramp reopens hours after tractor-trailer overturns
Posted on Tue, Jul. 15, 2008
By April Bethea

The ramp from northbound interstate 85 to northbound
I-77 has reopened this afternoon, several hours after
an tractor trailer holding hundreds of thousands of
dollars in coins overturned.

The accident occurred just before 10:20 a.m. today.
Trooper R. A. Benge of the N.C. Highway Patrol said
the truck's driver was going too fast on the
interstate when the load shifted, and the truck fell
on its side. He estimated the truck was going about
40 to 45 miles per hour. Trucks are advised to only
go about 25 miles per hour on the ramp.

Benge said the truck contained about $296,000 in bags
of pennies, nickels and dimes. About two dozen workers
spent about two hours transferring the bags by hand
from one truck to another this afternoon.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg police also were at the scene
to maintain security.

The truck's driver, whom Binge identified as Keith
Miller, was taken to Carolinas Medical Center with a
hurt arm and some cuts and scrapes. He was cited with
exceeding a safe speed.

Old July 16th 08, 02:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Paul Ciszek

In article ,
Arizona Coin Collector wrote:
Hello

On the story below.

I would love to know how much weight all these
coins added up to. $296,000 Dollars in Coins.

$296,000 dollars in quarters, dimes, or half-dollars would weigh 6.7
metric tonnes, or 7.4 short tons. More if the mix included pennies or
nickels, less if it included dollar coins.

And $296,000 in just pennies would weigh 74 metric tonnes, or 81.6
short tons.

Yeah, I know, mass is not the same as weight. I'm too tired to be
pedantic right now.

--
Please reply to: | President Bush is promoting Peace and Democracy
pciszek at panix dot com | in the Middle East by selling Weapons to the
Old July 16th 08, 05:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
don't look

"Paul Ciszek" wrote in message

In article ,
Arizona Coin Collector wrote:
Hello

On the story below.

I would love to know how much weight all these
coins added up to. $296,000 Dollars in Coins.

$296,000 dollars in quarters, dimes, or half-dollars would weigh 6.7
metric tonnes, or 7.4 short tons. More if the mix included pennies or
nickels, less if it included dollar coins.

And $296,000 in just pennies would weigh 74 metric tonnes, or 81.6
short tons.

Yeah, I know, mass is not the same as weight. I'm too tired to be
pedantic right now.

--
Please reply to: | President Bush is promoting Peace and

Democracy
pciszek at panix dot com | in the Middle East by selling Weapons to the
Autoreply is disabled | King of Saudi Arabia.

I was reading about the Redfield hoard today. 411,000 Morgan and Peace
dollars weghing 11 tons.