U.S. Treasury --- Judge Dismisses Suit Over Pre-Washington Presidential Coins

Old July 16th 08, 12:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Arizona Coin Collector

Default U.S. Treasury --- Judge Dismisses Suit Over Pre-Washington Presidential Coins

FROM:
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/jul...ton-president/

Judge Dismisses Suit Over Pre-Washington Presidential Coins

By AMERICA DEUPREE
News Channel 8
Published: July 15, 2008
Updated: 02:38 pm

TAMPA - A federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit by a Palm
Harbor scholar who is suing the U.S. Treasury secretary
for neglecting to circulate coins with the images of the
10 men he says were presidents before George Washington.

Stanley Klos, 54, a scholar of rare historical documents,
sued Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson in May citing the
Presidential Coin Act, which directs the Treasury
secretary to issue $1 coins depicting the presidents of
the United States and to mint the coins until each
president has been honored.

Klos claimed that failing to recognize these men harms
his children and all students in America by misleading
them about "the existence and identity of the earliest
founders and the presidents of the United States."

U.S. District Judge Steven D. Merryday ruled that because
the Presidential Coin Act only issues coins commemorating
presidents beginning with George Washington, who took
office in 1789. It does not recognize the presidents under
the 1777 Articles of Confederation as holding the same
post as Washington or presidents that followed. The
Articles of Confederation served as a constitution for the
original colonies until it was replaced by the U.S.
Constitution in 1788.

Most historians also dismiss Klos' arguments, saying
these 10 men did not have the same powers and authority
as the presidents from Washington forward. The title of
their office may have been similar, but the post was not
the same, the historians say. They weren't commander in
chief, did not have decision-making powers and couldn't
veto legislation.

Klos was not pleased with the ruling, but happy that
Merryday found merit in his argument.

"I was surprised and disappointed," he said. "To me it
seemed that the law was pretty clear that a summary case
should be heard. I am looking into doing a motion for
reconsideration, but I am going to continue my research.
I am however pleased that Merryday is recognizing that
the case is laudable."

Here are the men Klos says were the first 10 presidents
of the United States, their home states and their terms
in office:

Samuel Huntington, Connecticut, Sept. 28, 1779, to
July 6, 1781.

Thomas McKean, Delaware, July 10,1781, to Nov.4, 1781.

John Hanson, Maryland, Nov. 5,1781, to Nov. 3,1782.

Elias Boudinot, Pennsylvania and New Jersey, Nov.4, 1782,
to Nov.2,1783.

Thomas Mifflin, Pennsylvania, Nov.3, 1783, to June 3,1784.

Richard Henry Lee, Virginia, Nov. 30,1784, to Nov. 22, 1785.

John Hancock, Massachusetts, Nov. 23, 1785, to June 5, 1786.

Nathaniel Gorham, Massachusetts, June 6,1786, to Nov. 13, 1786.

Arthur St. Clair, Pennsylvania, Feb. 2, 1787, to Oct. 29, 1787.

Cyrus Griffin, Virginia, Jan. 22, 1788, to March 4, 1789.

Old July 16th 08, 01:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Voltronicus

This was a non-starter from the get go.
The idiot who filed the suit should be fined for wasting the court's
time.
Old July 16th 08, 01:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_9_]

Arizona Coin Collector wrote:

U.S. District Judge Steven D. Merryday ruled that because
the Presidential Coin Act only issues coins commemorating
presidents beginning with George Washington, who took
office in 1789. It does not recognize the presidents under
the 1777 Articles of Confederation

Oops - different government; not the current one we have. Washington was
the first President of our current form of governemnt.

End of story.