Afghanistan: 20,000 gold coins found

Old October 19th 03, 11:11 PM
~AZ Rider~

Default Afghanistan: 20,000 gold coins found

Wow, what a find! At least bin laden & co. didn't get their greasy hands
on it.

I'm a firm believer that things come in threes...

20,000 gold coins dug up in afghanistan, 20,000 gold coins soon to be
brought up from the USS Tallahassee.. and 20,000 gold coins the
conquistadors buried around Tucson soon to be discovered by me 'n my
metal detector.

~AZ 'I have a dream' Rider~

Old October 19th 03, 11:29 PM
Alan & Erin Williams

~AZ Rider~ wrote:

Wow, what a find! At least bin laden & co. didn't get their greasy hands
on it.

I'm a firm believer that things come in threes...

20,000 gold coins dug up in afghanistan, 20,000 gold coins soon to be
brought up from the USS Tallahassee.. and 20,000 gold coins the
conquistadors buried around Tucson soon to be discovered by me 'n my
metal detector.

~AZ 'I have a dream' Rider~

LOL!!!

Alan
'the real stash is in Tennessee'
Old October 20th 03, 12:19 AM
~AZ Rider~

Alan
'the real stash is in Tennessee'

Now.. that hasn't been proven yet g

AZ 'takes in _most_ of what he reads' Rider

Old October 20th 03, 12:33 AM
Alan & Erin Williams

~AZ Rider~ wrote:

Alan
'the real stash is in Tennessee'

Now.. that hasn't been proven yet g

AZ 'takes in _most_ of what he reads' Rider

Well it was there the last time Congress made them open up! But I don't
think they stopped to count it all.

Alan
'and it was *after* Goldfinger'
Old October 20th 03, 02:02 AM
Bruce Remick

"R. Vail" wrote:
=

Afghans Uncover Lost Treasure
By Jason Burke
The Observer - UK
10-19-3
=

It lay hidden for 2,000 years in Afghanistan, eluded the Taliban and
escaped dozens of adventurers and bounty hunters. Now the Bactrian
hoard, one of the world's greatest archaeological collections, has
been found.
=

President Hamid Karzai discovered the 20,000 gold coins and artefacts,
worth tens of millions of pounds, in a sealed vault under the main
palace in the capital, Kabul, after ordering it to be opened earlier
this year.
=

No one expected it to contain the treasure, dating from Alexander the
Great's conquest of Afghanistan in 327BC. The vault was thought to
hold =A360 million of bullion hidden by the state bank more than a
decade ago. 'We opened one box and saw the gold,' Karzai said.
'Everything is safe and in its place.'
=

Ashraf Ghani, the Finance Minister, said the treasure was probably the
most important collection of antiquities in the world outside Egypt.
=

It lay in six tombs under the grassy wastes of northern Afghanistan
until it was excavated in 1978 by a Soviet archaeologist on the eve of
Moscow's invasion of the country, and was hailed as one of the
greatest, and most valuable, archaeological discoveries of all time.
It includes a collapsible gold crown, a solid gold pendant of
Aphrodite and a dagger studded with scores of jewels.
=

Ghani said the vault had not been opened for decades despite efforts
by the Taliban, who ruled Kabul from 1996 to 2001, torturing staff to
reveal the code to get at it. 'They were beaten almost senseless but
did not reveal it,' he said.
=

The surprise find is a boost for Afghanistan, where reconstruction has
been progressing slowly and conditions for most people are still very
bad.
=

A boost for Afghanistan? I wonder if this is this meant to suggest that
the Afghanis will or should now sell these newfound relics to defray the
costs of rebuilding their infrastructure? Otherwise, I fail to see how
this fantastic discovery will improve the conditions of the people.

Bruce
"would be glad to help for merely one of those gold coins....that one
over there."

ST Cards for Auctionne Lynne Stewart Cards:- non-sport 0 July 4th 04 09:17 PM
ST Cards for Auctionne Lynne Stewart Cards:- non-sport 0 July 4th 04 09:16 PM
US Territories and... Grandpa Coins 29 September 22nd 03 08:11 PM
Coin Talk Needs You Peter T Davis Coins 51 September 16th 03 01:19 AM
Help on telling repro Linda Coins 11 July 30th 03 02:03 AM