Figures for high denomination U.S. notes still outstanding.

Old February 12th 04, 09:07 PM
Kevin Steinhauer

Default Figures for high denomination U.S. notes still outstanding.

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any recent or more accurate figures
for the
total number of outstanding high denomination notes (500, 1000, 5000,
10000)?
The most recent figures I have a

As at 3/31/1996
$500 289543
$1000 168025
$5000 343
$10000 335

These figures (I believe) include both Federal Reserve Notes and Gold
Certificates.
What I'd really like is a breakdown of these figures into numbers of
FRN's and GC's
and even further into numbers of notes per series still outstanding
(1928, 1934, 1934A).

I thought about writing the BEP and asking but I fear my letter would
end up on the
desk of some "expert" who would give some kind of stupid answer like "the
U.S.
doesn't have notes over $100".

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Kevin.

Old February 12th 04, 10:04 PM
Scottishmoney

"Kevin Steinhauer" wrote in message

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any recent or more accurate figures
for the
total number of outstanding high denomination notes (500, 1000, 5000,
10000)?
The most recent figures I have a

As at 3/31/1996
$500 289543
$1000 168025
$5000 343
$10000 335

They may not have done another audit yet, I think the previous one may have
been back in the early '80's. I remember a story in the news back in the
late 80's about a drug bust in Florida where a $10000 bill was found. I
wonder what ever became of it. The figures for the two largest
denominations seem a bit high, given the value of the notes. Probably most
of them are safely tucked away in the Fat Cat's safety deposit boxes. I
don't think the $5000 was ever a particularly popular denomination. I would
like to see figures on how many were issued compared to the $10000 bill.

Dave

---

Old February 13th 04, 06:39 PM
jimmyfc

"Scottishmoney" wrote in message ...
"Kevin Steinhauer" wrote in message

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any recent or more accurate figures
for the
total number of outstanding high denomination notes (500, 1000, 5000,
10000)?
The most recent figures I have a

As at 3/31/1996
$500 289543
$1000 168025
$5000 343
$10000 335

from the Treasury Bulletin Dec. 03 as of Sept. 30 2003
http://www.fms.treas.gov/bulletin/index.html
Total FRN USN 0ther
$500 285330 284951 11 368
$1000 165929 165719 5 205
$5000 353 342 0 11
$10000 346 336 0 10
$100000 0 0
Note: No $100000s are listed. Since a half-dozen or so are in various
F.R.Bank collections, the Smithsonian, and in the hands of the
Treasury, this would seem to imply that list does not include notes of
other denominations held in the same collections. Also the numbers for
the USNs are too low, the population censuses have more listed in
private hands than list has as outstanding.