seeburg 222 mech still dead

Old April 14th 06, 07:20 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes

Default seeburg 222 mech still dead

Hi All,
Just got back from Israel and installed that new motor cap, mech still
dead (almost). The motor turns very slowly (either direction) a few
revolutions before stopping. Before connecting the cap, I measured .090
on both motor windings (digital meter on the lowest scale which is
2,000 ohms). Since I have full voltage at the terminal strip, what's
left to check? Is the motor toast? I cleaned all the contacts on the
reversing sw., but that didn't help. What's left to check? Thank you,
Rick.

Old April 14th 06, 07:51 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes

Just to clarify things, machine is not from Israel, I was just away for
a few weeks and not able to install that new cap until I got back. This
post is a continuation to an earlier post on this topic. Rick.

Old April 15th 06, 09:28 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes

Hi All,
Well, I installed the new motor cap from Tammy Detri and still the same
problem. I have 110 at the left 2 terminals on the strip, and 90-110 on
the right 2 terminals. I cleaned all the associated sw contacts (O on
the cam stack, all of the reversing contacts and the subtract contact
in the selection receiver). Nothing has helped. I measured both motor
windings while the cap was out and got .090 ohms (on the 2k setting,
the lowest my meter goes to). I did notice the motor tries to go (can
feel vibrations) and does get hot. When I put it into play mode (after
helping it load the record, cap is installed), it did turn slowly on
its own, but can't transfer or scan by itself. Is the motor bad, or did
I miss something? Thank you, Rick.

Old April 15th 06, 03:33 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes

Have you checked to see if the mechanism is turning free? You should be able
to push sideways on the motor coupling with one finger creating a rolling
action and make the mechanism turn without motor power. It will be a bit
stiff, but you should be able to turn it with just one finger. If you can't
easily turn the coupling this way, then the bearings and other mechanical
parts of the mechanism need cleaning and lubrication. The top thrust bearing
could also be adjusted too tight. If you take this bearing off, be careful,
there's a ball bearing in there that will fall out.

--
Charley

oups.com...

Old April 15th 06, 03:37 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes

It sounds as if the motor capacitor is wired incorrectly. I'd suggest you
double-check all the connections against the schematic in the service manual.
Don't assume that the connections were correct when you get the machine.

Joseph "Tony" Dziedzic

Old April 15th 06, 09:12 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes

Hi All,
Thank you for the replies. The mech turns freely (I can cycle it by
hand with ease...it was completely rebuilt a year ago). I wired the cap
matching the same colours...green to green, white to white and grey to
grey). The values on Tom's/ Tammies cap a re alittle different, but the
total adds up to the original. Either way, the motor still acts the
same as before. I didn't try reversing the colours, did not want to
blow something.

Old April 15th 06, 09:53 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes

"flashbk13" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,
Thank you for the replies. The mech turns freely (I can cycle it by
hand with ease...it was completely rebuilt a year ago). I wired the cap
matching the same colours...green to green, white to white and grey to
grey). The values on Tom's/ Tammies cap a re alittle different, but the
total adds up to the original. Either way, the motor still acts the
same as before. I didn't try reversing the colours, did not want to
blow something.

If the motor windings indeed do read .09 ohm, then you have a shorted
winding somewhere in the motor. That is a permanent split capacitor motor
and any problems like a short - end of story. The motor should not get hot
that quickly, something is wrong in the motor. I have had the same problem
with s/c fan motors, shorted turns in the windings.
Hope you can find another motor or get that one rewound.
Good luck,
Tom