Romanian query.

Old March 30th 07, 02:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

Default Romanian query.

One of my favourite actors Geoffrey Rush
(Shakespeare in Love) is soon to appear in Theatre
in a Romanian play he apparently translated himself.

The play "Exit the King" was written by Eugene Ionescu.

Is anyone aware he has appeared on a stamp?
I checked my 3,500 Romanian list without success,
I wonder perhaps I have an incorrect spelling
eg Ionesco / Ionescu etc
and perhaps he has been celebrated in preference as a poet?

Thanks for any assistance.

Old March 31st 07, 11:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Rod" wrote in message
One of my favourite actors Geoffrey Rush
(Shakespeare in Love) is soon to appear in Theatre
in a Romanian play he apparently translated himself.

The play "Exit the King" was written by Eugene Ionescu.

Is anyone aware he has appeared on a stamp?
I checked my 3,500 Romanian list without success,
I wonder perhaps I have an incorrect spelling
eg Ionesco / Ionescu etc
and perhaps he has been celebrated in preference as a poet?

Thanks for any assistance.

Rod,

Even if I was convinced that there is a Romanian Eugene Ionesco (Eugen
Ionescu in Romanian language) stamp, I could find any. Strange...

--
Victor Manta

Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/
Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/

Old March 31st 07, 12:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

Hello Victor,
thanks very much for at least trying,
Jill, one of our off-list intelligentsia, provided some assistance
though any celebratory stamp is still in doubt.

I trust Jill does not mind me broadcasting her reply

snipped...

Hi Rodney

I don't think you could call any of Eugene Ionesco's plays Romanian
plays. He spent most of his life in France. He never went back to
Romania after 1938, and wrote his first play in 1950 (in French). He
became a member of the Academie Francaise. I studied one of his plays at
uni. (The Chairs) as French literature. Perhaps you have heard the
expression "Theatre of the absurd" - that's him.

Old March 31st 07, 02:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Rod" wrote in message
Hello Victor,
thanks very much for at least trying,
Jill, one of our off-list intelligentsia, provided some assistance
though any celebratory stamp is still in doubt.

I trust Jill does not mind me broadcasting her reply

snipped...

Hi Rodney

I don't think you could call any of Eugene Ionesco's plays Romanian
plays. He spent most of his life in France. He never went back to
Romania after 1938, and wrote his first play in 1950 (in French). He
became a member of the Academie Francaise. I studied one of his plays at
uni. (The Chairs) as French literature. Perhaps you have heard the
expression "Theatre of the absurd" - that's him.

Wikipedia characterizes Eugen Ionescu as a "French-Romanian playwright and
dramatist."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eug%C3%A8ne_Ionesco

"There he attended Saint Sava National College, after which he studied
French Literature at the University of Bucharest from 1928 to 1933 and
qualified as a teacher of French. While there he met Emil Cioran and Mircea
Eliade, and the three became lifelong friends. ("There" means in Romania.
BTW, my wife studied at the same college, and I graduated from the same
university but not in literature .

His first publication was in Romanian (Elegii pentru fiinte mici - Elegies
for small human beings) but of course he became renown for his plays, all of
them written in French, plays that I haven't studied but at least I have
read many of them.