Help with Flemish (Dutch) Word

Old July 28th 08, 02:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Default Help with Flemish (Dutch) Word

I just looked up "KAS" and I was translated to "fund". I doubt that
was right. I checked other sites and it came closer to "case" or
"cabinet".

Now, on the bottom of some Antwerp RR stamps, I see KAS Nr. 1 and KAS
Nr. 2.

Any clues, anyone? Thanks.
Old July 28th 08, 04:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

Hi Tracy. I know nothing about Belgian history and even less about Belgian
railways, but for some reason the word Kaserne comes to mind. Blair would
know if there is any "barracks" string attached to these stamps. I have
seen the abbreviation Kas used for Kaserne before but in nothing to do with
stamps.
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Old July 28th 08, 06:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 23:08:09 -0400, "Tony Vella"
wrote:

Hi Tracy. I know nothing about Belgian history and even less about Belgian
railways, but for some reason the word Kaserne comes to mind. Blair would
know if there is any "barracks" string attached to these stamps. I have
seen the abbreviation Kas used for Kaserne before but in nothing to do with
stamps.

I don't think that is it. I thought it may be a shortcut to "Quai" or
quay or kade, but I'm not sure.

It's a department or storage method for certain items. Cabinet or
compartment doesn't make much sense.

For instance, often "Centraal" is shortened to "Caal" (and I've seen
kaal) and at first I thought it was close to kraal, which is
Afrikaans!

I've even seen "explosive" !!! on some. Pretty wild...
Old July 28th 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 12:53:44 +0200, Sir Hystrix

I just looked up "KAS" and I was translated to "fund". I doubt that
was right. I checked other sites and it came closer to "case" or
"cabinet".

Now, on the bottom of some Antwerp RR stamps, I see KAS Nr. 1 and KAS
Nr. 2.

Any clues, anyone? Thanks.

Hi Tracey,

"KAS" has many meanings.

1: [broeikas] greenhouse

I'd rule that out for railroad service. Unless, of course, there was
a car or compartment especially for greenhouse goods. I know that
plants and flowers were sent profusely by rail.

2: [kassa] cash-desk (cashier's office, paydesk)

hmmm...

3: [bergplaats voor geld] cashbox (moneybox)

Probably not. Too specific, unless this was an accounting thing and
wanted segregation between departments.

4: [contanten] cash (funds)

That's what Babel Fish translates as "fund".

5: [omhulsel] case (casing)

Saw that about furniture on-line.

6: [holte] socket (eye socket)

Doubtful, unless we're doing an SNA skit. :^)

7: [lichaam] body

This one wouldn't make much sense either in a railroad setting.

My best guess is 2:

Which is in-line with a previous response of "teller", like bank
teller. Sort of like what Ralphael does in SNA as Windows Clerk #1.

Maybe you can post an example.

Gotta fire up the scanner, but here's the deal what it looks like:

Date, time, etc.
----------------------
KAS Nr. 1
\____________________/

Thanks!
Old July 29th 08, 01:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

Can I save you the time Tracy ?
KAS Nr.2
http://cjoint.com/data/hDcGrZLJGU.htm

Old July 29th 08, 01:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

Surprise!
I hadn't been aware the "Red back spider" was not issued.
They are very common in Perth here,
easily found amongst stacks of bricks, or around the
fly netting near the dunny (toilet) light.

"Sir Hystrix"
www.spiders.hystrix.be

Old July 29th 08, 03:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 08:36:29 +0800, "rodney"
wrote:

Can I save you the time Tracy ?
KAS Nr.2
http://cjoint.com/data/hDcGrZLJGU.htm

Thank you sir! That would be it alright...