World's first stamp book

Old January 6th 04, 10:43 AM
Douglas Myall

Default World's first stamp book

----- Original Message -----
From: "Didier Cuidet"
Newsgroups: rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2004 9:06 PM
Subject: World's first stamp book.

Le Mon, 5 Jan 2004 17:34:48 +0000 (UTC), dans
rec.collecting.stamps.discuss, "Douglas Myall"

écrit :

Which country issued the world's first official book of stamps and
when? It was not the UK.

Il you mean "catalog" when you say "book of stamps", I think it was
written by Alfred Potiquet and published in 1861.

url:http://www.auctionusers.org/newsletter/0008-stamps.shtml

(Search "catalog" in the page)

No, I mean a book(let) containing actual postage stamps as distinct
from their being issued in sheet or coil form. In other words, which
country claims to have been the first to sell stamps in the form of a
booklet? Britain's first official book of stamps was issued in March
1904 so this is our centenary year. I know we weren't the first
country to do this and would like to know which country claims the
distinction. Does anybody know?

Douglas

Old January 6th 04, 01:52 PM
Pierre Courtiade

Douglas Myall wrote :

No, I mean a book(let) containing actual postage stamps as distinct
from their being issued in sheet or coil form. In other words, which
country claims to have been the first to sell stamps in the form of a
booklet? Britain's first official book of stamps was issued in March
1904 so this is our centenary year. I know we weren't the first
country to do this and would like to know which country claims the
distinction. Does anybody know?

Douglas

Hello Douglas,

It is not France : our first booklet was issued on 19 Nov. 1906

--
All the best,
Pierre Courtiade

Old January 6th 04, 08:53 PM
Tony Brown

The link below indicates that Luxembourg was the first country to issue
booklets (1895).

For those who are interested, the first booklet issued in Canada was in
1900. It was the booklet version of the 2¢Carmine, Queen Victoria issue. A
very rare item.

"Rodney" wrote in message
http://www.geocities.com/malaysiasta...mpbooklet.html

HTH

--

(Remove gum to reply)

Old January 7th 04, 01:08 PM
TC

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 15:53:41 -0500, "Tony Brown"
wrote:

The link below indicates that Luxembourg was the first country to issue
booklets (1895).

For those who are interested, the first booklet issued in Canada was in
1900. It was the booklet version of the 2¢Carmine, Queen Victoria issue. A
very rare item.

Tony:

Do you have a Scott # fir that Canada booklet pane?

Blair