rocketmail?

Old October 20th 06, 02:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Dave Hamilton

Default rocketmail?

I pulled this out of a box of FDC. I have heard that some people
collect "rocketmail" but I don't really know what that is exactly ..
is it just mail with rockets on the stamp like a topical collect?
image www.nebraskabeekeepers.org\rocketcover.jpg
Old October 20th 06, 03:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Sir Hystrix

Dave Hamilton wrote:

I pulled this out of a box of FDC. I have heard that some people
collect "rocketmail" but I don't really know what that is exactly ..
is it just mail with rockets on the stamp like a topical collect?
image www.nebraskabeekeepers.org\rocketcover.jpg

In 1935, an engineer Roberti experimented with Rocketmail in Belgium. It
was, I believe, a private initiative in cooperation with the Belgian
Postal Administration. Several stamps (vignets really) were issued for
this purpose.

The first test was May 9th, 1935, launching a rocket from "Duinbergen"
or "Heyst Aan Zee". Second and third test, September 4th, 1935 in "Mol"
and "Duinbergen". I have no idea to what destination they launched these
rockets nor whether the mail arrived there still intact.

8 vignets were issued during these tests and have no "official character".

Sir Hystrix
Old October 20th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
TL

http://www.nebraskabeekeepers.org/rocketcover.jpg
In-coming missile!
Don't know. Maybe it gets mail to remote enclaves.

Old October 20th 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 09:23:21 -0700, Sir F. A. Rien
wrote:

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 08:30:47 -0500, Dave Hamilton
found these unused words floating about:

I pulled this out of a box of FDC. I have heard that some people
collect "rocketmail" but I don't really know what that is exactly ..
is it just mail with rockets on the stamp like a topical collect?
image www.nebraskabeekeepers.org\rocketcover.jpg

That would be a guided missal missile.

Several countries and private societies 'toyed' with using missiles to send
missals.

It was hoped to be the next step up from Airmail.

So ... "Flown" covers with cachet.

How the heck to they direct them and what happens when they land?
Inquiring minds need to know!
Old October 21st 06, 02:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 17:19:29 GMT, found these

wrote:

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 08:30:47 -0500, Dave Hamilton
found these unused words floating about:

I pulled this out of a box of FDC. I have heard that some people
collect "rocketmail" but I don't really know what that is exactly ..
is it just mail with rockets on the stamp like a topical collect?
image www.nebraskabeekeepers.org\rocketcover.jpg

That would be a guided missal missile.

Several countries and private societies 'toyed' with using missiles to send
missals.

It was hoped to be the next step up from Airmail.

So ... "Flown" covers with cachet.

How the heck to they direct them and what happens when they land?
Inquiring minds need to know!

Same as aiming a shell in those days, compute elevation with power of
rocket, result will go "X" distance (hopefully in a straight line), The
payload separated (on the ones I've read about) and was parachuted.

Today, technology would probably allow direct 'hits' on the local PO -
provided there was a safe method of 'reception'.

Lends a new meaning to "cruis"ing in the neighborhood. Maybe that's
what happened in the last PNA / SNA war. No wonder we had holes in
the roof of the main P.O. ... Maybe Window Clerk #1 can stand there
with a net to catch the "incoming" mail. (I have a funny feeling
he'll ask for a new intern.)
Old October 21st 06, 02:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

G'day Dave,
Rocketmail generally assumes the cover in question
travelled by rocket as described per it's attached cachet.
You will have to investigate the details of your particular firing.

I enclose a humourous example of "Australia's successful firings"
(don't believe everything you read

The firings were not successful, the mail did not cross the river,
but hey, must have been lots of fun.
One could imagine inspector Clouseau at these firings, as he just about
steps on the tynes of the garden rake.

http://cjoint.com/data/kvdtv8xQpK.htm

Old October 21st 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Dave Hamilton wrote:
I pulled this out of a box of FDC. I have heard that some people
collect "rocketmail" but I don't really know what that is exactly ..
is it just mail with rockets on the stamp like a topical collect?
image www.nebraskabeekeepers.org\rocketcover.jpg

Hello Dave:

In regards to your particular cover, it should be noted that
In 1960, a 13 ft. mail-carrying rocket (i.e. the Porpoise - I)
was being tested in Lincolnville, Maine.

The testing of Rocket mail was an experimental way of
sending U.S. Postal Service mail by air.

Here is a Picture of the Porpoise I.

http://cjoint.com/data/kveeE0DoZx.htm

This cover was carried by the Porpoise and is of interest
to rocket mail collectors. It appears that several thousand
covers were carried, so it is not rare by any means.

I have bought similar covers for $1 up to $5 depending on rarity.

Best Regards
Blair

Item 5562 - For more information about this item,
contact:: The Maine Historical Society
489 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101 USA
(207) 774-1822
http://www.mainehistory.org

Old October 21st 06, 06:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Rocket Mail is the subject of one of the publications offered by the
American Air Mail Society. The late Dr. Max Kronstein chronicled over
100 such mail carrying flights. A description of the hardbound book
and, if of interest, ordering details, can be found at the AAMS website
- http://americanairmailsociety.org/

Old October 21st 06, 09:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

If you navigate to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missile_Mail

Then go to "external links" "King George 5 silver Jubilee"
then click on the Aussie stamps or "cover"
an image of Alan Young with his "Zodiac" rocket can be seen

HTH