Ebay??: Possible to get my address without checking out?

Old September 29th 04, 09:09 PM
John Muchow

Default Ebay??: Possible to get my address without checking out?

Is it possible to get my mailing address (to send payment to after
winning an auction) without checking out after the auction is over?

I have a winning bidder who is late with payment (says it was sent
days ago) but he never checked out and I'm wondering how he might have
gotten my address? I surely don't want ebay making that info so
easily accessible and thought it wasn't.

Thanks!

John Muchow
-- remove SPAMMENOT for e-mail responses --
Old September 29th 04, 09:28 PM
Cliff

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 20:09:37 GMT, John Muchow
wrote:

Is it possible to get my mailing address (to send payment to after
winning an auction) without checking out after the auction is over?

I have a winning bidder who is late with payment (says it was sent
days ago) but he never checked out and I'm wondering how he might have
gotten my address? I surely don't want ebay making that info so
easily accessible and thought it wasn't.

Thanks!

John Muchow
-- remove SPAMMENOT for e-mail responses --

Is it possible that he won one of your auctions before and has it one
file?
Cliff
Old September 29th 04, 09:49 PM
James Higby

Sellers and winning bidders are able to get each others' contact information
through eBay. Casual look ups are not available.

Old September 29th 04, 09:54 PM
Padraic Brown

wrote:

Is it possible to get my mailing address (to send payment to after
winning an auction) without checking out after the auction is over?

I have a winning bidder who is late with payment (says it was sent
days ago) but he never checked out and I'm wondering how he might have
gotten my address? I surely don't want ebay making that info so
easily accessible and thought it wasn't.

If you haven't made it public (like in the auction description or on
one of the payment pages) and if he didn't access the Ebay user
look-up function, then I doubt he has gotten your address. Or sent
your payment.

Is he a second time buyer by any chance?

Padraic.

la cieurgeourea provoer mal trasfu
ast meiyoer ke 'l andrext ben trasfu.
Old September 29th 04, 10:00 PM
Fred Shecter

If you sent an invoice, it includes your payment address unless you indicated not to
include it.

-Fred Shecter

Old September 29th 04, 10:08 PM
Phil DeMayo

Padraic Brown wrote:

If you haven't made it public (like in the auction description or on
one of the payment pages) and if he didn't access the Ebay user
look-up function, then I doubt he has gotten your address. Or sent
your payment.

When you do a user information request you get the person's name, town, state
and phone number....but you do not get the street address (or P.O. Box if
applicable). At least that's the way it used to be.

++++++++++
Phil DeMayo - always here for my fellow Stooge
When bidding online always sit on your helmet
Just say NO to counterfeits
Old September 29th 04, 10:44 PM
Andrew

Yes it is possible to get that Information
The same as I have done at times with non-paying bidders
You go through a few steps and you can get all the details of the seller /
buyer including Phone numbers
I have only done it when Emails do not go through and I get them back as
undeliverable.
Best Regards
Andrew

Old September 29th 04, 11:05 PM
John Muchow

If you sent an invoice, it includes your payment address unless you indicated not to
include it.

Ahhh....that might be it. He is a first-time buyer but I did send an
invoice and I filled in my Payment Address info in my ebay
Preferences.

Now, if it the payment would only get here! I had a "I must receive
payment within 1 week of end of auction." statement in the Payment
instructions of the auction...it's been 10 days so far. grrrr

I was that bidder's first win (after two retracted bids before my
item) and was a high-priced item, about $600. I'm worried about this
one and not sure when I should be going to the 2nd highest bidder and
letting him know it's been just too long a wait. I'm sure he'll still
state that payment has already been made.

Man, this type of situation is tough. Makes me want to state that all
payments to me (if not via PayPal) must be send via Priority Mail with
delivery confirmation!

Old September 30th 04, 03:07 AM
Padraic Brown

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 22:05:20 GMT, John Muchow
wrote:

[...]

That might be a bit excessive. While I am appreciative of your
personal payment schedule, not everyone works on such a time table
that allows them do much business during normal business hours. It may
well be that the first opportunity he had to send your payment was 5
or 6 days after the auction. Could also be that it's lost on the post
office floor.

I'd ask what form the payment was. If he used a money order, you could
ask for a scan of the recept to at least see the date/PO stamp/and
amount to gauge whether he's telling the truth or not. Not that you
can do much more than wait a bit. I'd give it to at least 2 weeks from
the auction's end. You could always say something like "It's been two
weeks and no payment has yet arrived. If you'd like, send a second
payment and receive the item. When your original payment arrives, I'll
send it back." I've had to pay twice like that once - though
admittedly not on a $600 item! If he paid by cheque, he can always
stop payment; if by MO, he can file for refund after 30 days (or
simply cash it when you return it).

The natural alternative is that it goes to the underbidder or back on
the block if you think you can get $600 for it again.

Padraic.

John Muchow

Old September 30th 04, 04:50 AM
John Muchow

It may well be that the first opportunity he had to send your payment was 5
or 6 days after the auction. Could also be that it's lost on the post
office floor.

That first situation is a definite possibility and one I would
completely understand...except that my auction clearly stated that
payment had to reach me within 7 days. I may be the exception but I
feel if you bid on a item, you take on the responsibility of following
the Payment instructions, even if that is very inconvenient.
Otherwise, don't bid. I needed quick cash for these items and felt
that the 7 day limit was very reasonable, especially since 17 of the
19 items I had listed.were paid for in 3 or 4 days (a mix of PayPal
and money orders).

But, I do realize (as impatient as I am) that things can happen.
That's why I'm only now considering my options....days after the 7-day
deadline for payment went by.

That second situation is a definite possibility too.

I'd ask what form the payment was. If he used a money order, you could
ask for a scan of the recept to at least see the date/PO stamp/and
amount to gauge whether he's telling the truth or not. Not that you
can do much more than wait a bit. [snip]

Good recommendations, thanks. He said he used a money order so I
think I'll ask for a scan, or at least the MO number and date/method
of shipment. By the time we sort that out one way or another, two
weeks will have gone by and I'll ask for another payment to be sent
out (with a promise to send back the first).

If he refuses, I'll offer it to the 2nd highest bidder via PayPal
only. Not due to a lack of trust, but a need for cash. :-)

Thanks for the reality check and the good recommendations Padraic!