A grade seldom seen

Old September 17th 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Steve

Default A grade seldom seen

I thought the slabs from this company went from 58 to 67 with nothing in
between.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1925-Stone-Mount...mZ160029810500

Humor aside, some of the 3rd tier companies coins are graded spot on - it
would behoove collectors who plan to crack coins out to not automatically
pass over any coin just because of the slab it's in, provided they can view
in hand.

Steve

Old September 17th 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
K6AZ

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 23:00:10 -0400, "Steve" wrote:

Humor aside, some of the 3rd tier companies coins are graded spot on - it
would behoove collectors who plan to crack coins out to not automatically
pass over any coin just because of the slab it's in, provided they can view
in hand.

Great concept, except those coins are rarely encountered in the sight-seen
market. They are designed for online sales where collectors can not closely
examine them. I've seen a few that were correct for the grade, usually common
stuff. I have yet to see a better date, especially where there is a large difference
in price from one grade to the next anywhere near the grade on the holder.
--
K6AZ Forum

http://www.k6az.com/forum/
Old September 17th 06, 05:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bill Krummel

"Steve" wrote in message ...
I thought the slabs from this company went from 58 to 67 with nothing in
between.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1925-Stone-Mount...mZ160029810500

Humor aside, some of the 3rd tier companies coins are graded spot on - it
would behoove collectors who plan to crack coins out to not automatically
pass over any coin just because of the slab it's in, provided they can
view in hand.

Steve

Well, just a week ago I passed over a coin because of the plastic and I will
never know if I did the right thing or not. It was a Lexington
commemorative half dollar graded MS66 by NNC (National Numismatic Company, I
think, but I am not sure I remember correctly). The dealer said he was not
familiar with the grading company but had purchased the coin for 65 money
and his asking price was Greysheet "Ask" for a MS65 coin.

I don't see many Lexingtons that I really like and I liked the look of this
one. It was very frosty, and looked original when looking at with the naked
eye. I said I would check out the rest of the show and perhaps be back.
When I did return, the coin was gone. I never had a chance to study the
coin under a loupe.

Had I had the chance to look closely at the coin, I have strong doubts that
I have the expertise to have determined whether the coin had been doctored
in any way. If I liked the coin, why not buy it anyway? Had I had the
chance, I may have, but I would not have had the comfort were the coin in
one of several other holders.

It would certainly help if I was an expert but I am at the dangerous stage
where I have become just coin-smart enough to set myself up for some serious
pain.

Bill

Old September 17th 06, 05:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Steve

"K6AZ" wrote in message
[...]

I see them at every show I go to. I haven't surveyed the percentage
graded properly or undergraded - but they"re out there and sometimes can be
had at a discount.
Almost all coins trading hands are common dates, but of course most
folks should stick with the top grading companies for better coins.

Steve

Old September 17th 06, 05:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Steve

"Bill Krummel" wrote in message

"Steve" wrote in message ...
[...]

Hope you get a nice Lexington some day Bill -I think it's one of the
best Early Commem designs.
I have an orginal wood box holder for a Lexington (pretty sure it's not one
of the fakes) that I'd be willing to sell you for $1.00 postpaid. Let me
know if you're interested at sdeitert at chartermi dot net. Regards,

Steve

Old September 19th 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
bri

"Steve" wrote in message ...
I thought the slabs from this company went from 58 to 67 with nothing in
between.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1925-Stone-Mount...mZ160029810500

Humor aside, some of the 3rd tier companies coins are graded spot on - it
would behoove collectors who plan to crack coins out to not automatically
pass over any coin just because of the slab it's in, provided they can

view
in hand.

Steve

Usually those bottom-feeders are way off. They'll slab stuff with slight rub
on the rims--which you can't tell unless you can feel it yourself on many
occasions. Nor can you see it since the plastic will hide rub on many types
of coins.
And there's no guarantee that any other company will catch very slight signs
of circulation either.
Like I have found a lot of coins in roll searches that look MS but then you
pick it up and there's no doubt that it's really an AU--it doesn't take much
to mush up the rims. Run some MS SHQ's thru a coin counter a few
times--instant AU.

Old September 24th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jonathan_ATC

"Steve" wrote in message ...
I thought the slabs from this company went from 58 to 67 with nothing in
between.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1925-Stone-Mount...mZ160029810500

Humor aside, some of the 3rd tier companies coins are graded spot on - it
would behoove collectors who plan to crack coins out to not automatically
pass over any coin just because of the slab it's in, provided they can

view
in hand.

Steve

Well, they'll put some other grades in there when appropriate. Their "MS61"
is actually an AU55. Since when is there wear on an MS coin?

Jonathan_ATC

Old September 24th 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jonathan_ATC

"Steve" wrote in message ...
[...]

Here's one for you. Nice toning. Overpriced. In a fourth grade holder...
http://cgi.ebay.com/1925-Lexington-C...QQcmdZViewItem

Jonathan_ATC