A proof?

Old July 8th 06, 12:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Amistad

Default A proof?

"note.boy" gave an accurate assessment of the chap:
He lists in a large font in ALL CAPS in blue so the seller's a dork to be
avoided, and he has private feedback.

Yep, each of those is a definite "turnoff" to me, and those who engage in
such antics are extremely unlikely to get any bids from yours truly.

Amistad
'keep things sensible'

Old July 8th 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Steve

"Ian" wrote in message
. uk...

note.boy wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message ...

"note.boy" wrote in message

Are NGC capable of telling the difference?

Even if is a proof he's asking for £2,750 when it catalogues at £1,500.

He lists in a large font in ALL CAPS in blue so the seller's a dork to
be avoided, and he has private feedback. Billy

http://cgi.ebay.com/EXCESSIVELY-RARE...mZ330002727832

What is the tell that it isn't a proof? Though the images of the fields
offer no clue, the devices appear to be exceptionally well struck with
needle sharp denticles and rims.
Steve

As circulation strike coins made by the Royal Mint are of very high
quality it's often very difficult with some issues to tell proofs and non
proof apart. Billy

If you consider the actual number of wreath crowns struck there would be
hardly any wear on the dies even after the last in the run was struck. The
first few hundred in the strike run could easily give the false impression
of being `proofs'......unless you had a comparator on hand. You either
need really good photographs or need to see them in the flesh to
determine.

If you look at the 1927 which was a `proof only' strike and use it as a
comparator, you can tell (fairly readily) the difference between coins
that have proof fields and those which have `prooflike' fields.

Thanks for the replys. If the coin is a proof, and I'd be inclined to trust
NGC on this one, the consignor got at decent bargain at $1650. He's had an
offer on the coin, would love to know what it is.
Steve

Old July 8th 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ian

Steve wrote:

Thanks for the replys. If the coin is a proof, and I'd be inclined to trust
NGC on this one, the consignor got at decent bargain at $1650. He's had an
offer on the coin, would love to know what it is.
Steve

I would view NGC's analysis with some scepticism. I have wreath crowns
that appear to exhibit all the characteristics of that particular coin
(including the razor edge rim it appears to have). None of them however
are proofs (except the 1927 that is).

You pays your money......you takes your choice (as the saying goes).
Old July 9th 06, 11:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

"Mike" wrote in message
note.boy wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message

note.boy wrote:

Are NGC capable of telling the difference?

Even if is a proof he's asking for £2,750 when it catalogues at £1,500.

He lists in a large font in ALL CAPS in blue so the seller's a dork to
be avoided, and he has private feedback. Billy

http://cgi.ebay.com/EXCESSIVELY-RARE...mZ330002727832

If he sells it he going to make a decent chunk of money (he paid $1650
for it).

Mike

Was that on ebay, do you have a link? Billy

Nah, it's an Goldberg's auction sticker: sale 34; lot 2808:

http://www.mkjassociates.com/cgi-bin...pter=44&page=1

Click to enlarge

Lot 2808 Great Britain. Crown, 1932. S.4036; ESC-372; Dav-110; KM-836.
George V. Bare head left. Reverse: Crown within wreath. Only 2,395 pieces
struck of business strikes and only a handful (5-10 pieces) struck in
proof. Very Rare. NGC graded Proof 63.
Estimated Value $2,000-2,500.
Realized $1,650
View details and photo

That is a nice clear pic, the colour is not too attractive on the reverse, I
would describe it as "stained". Billy

Old July 11th 06, 01:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jonathan_ATC

"Steve" wrote in message ...

Thanks for the replys. If the coin is a proof, and I'd be inclined to

trust
NGC on this one, the consignor got at decent bargain at $1650. He's had an
offer on the coin, would love to know what it is.
Steve

GBP 2600.00 was the accepted offer.

Old July 12th 06, 04:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Steve

"Jonathan_ATC" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Steve" wrote in message ...

Thanks for the replys. If the coin is a proof, and I'd be inclined to

trust
NGC on this one, the consignor got at decent bargain at $1650. He's had
an
offer on the coin, would love to know what it is.
Steve

GBP 2600.00 was the accepted offer.

Thanks for the info. Besides crowns, the buyer seems to have quite a liking
for Escorts and Fiestas - strange combo.
Steve

Old July 12th 06, 10:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

"Steve" wrote in message ...

Thanks for the replys. If the coin is a proof, and I'd be inclined to

trust
NGC on this one, the consignor got at decent bargain at $1650. He's had
an
offer on the coin, would love to know what it is.
Steve

GBP 2600.00 was the accepted offer.

Thanks for the info. Besides crowns, the buyer seems to have quite a
liking for Escorts and Fiestas - strange combo.
Steve

He has bought a fair number of expensive coins on ebay so you would think
that he knows what he's doing but going by the images on my monitor many of
them appear not to be the grade given on the description, here's one
example.

The surfaces don't look original to me.

He has sold 13 items on ebay in the last 30 days 7 of which were cars, does
he spend his car profits on coins? He may consider his car profits as "free
money" and that's why he chucks it about a bit. Billy