Semi OT : cleaning 45's

Old September 12th 09, 02:24 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
jb

Default Semi OT : cleaning 45's

I am picking up my 1st juke next week and have just
picked up a huge box of 45's for it. They need sorting
and most especially, cleaning. None of these are rare
or specialty items and some will get tossed.

My question is what is the best way to clean them
cheaply (no fancy cleaning machine purchase!).
Any suggestions as to a good solution / method for cleaning?
I have a compressor, so I can hit them with a blast of
clean air before trying to get the rest of the stuff off them.
It is primarily dust & dirt from being stored exposed / not
in sleeves.

I am definitely not worried about potential damage to them
as the weren't collectibles to start with. I figure I'll start with
what I have and replace the ones that get used if they aren't
good enough.

Thanks!
John
Old September 12th 09, 03:57 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
WEade[_2_]

I used the DiscWasher routine. It's the wooden handle with the felt cover
and cleaning fluid. IIRC, it's not expensive at all and worked VERY good.
In a pinch, I also used isopropyl alcohol and a lint-free cloth.

Bill

Old September 12th 09, 03:59 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
WEade[_2_]

Here's a link... Only $17 through JR Music World. I'm sure there are MANY
other vinyl stores out there who carry it.

http://www.jr.com/discwasher/pe/DW_1006/

Old September 12th 09, 11:53 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
jukepin

On Sep 11, 9:24*pm, jb wrote:
I am picking up my 1st juke next week and have just
picked up a huge box of 45's for it. They need sorting
and most especially, cleaning. None of these are rare
or specialty items and some will get tossed.

My question is what is the best way to clean them
cheaply (no fancy cleaning machine purchase!).
Any suggestions as to a good solution / method for cleaning?
I have a compressor, so I can hit them with a blast of
clean air before trying to get the rest of the stuff off them.
It is primarily dust & dirt from being stored exposed / not
in sleeves.

I am definitely not worried about potential damage to them
as the weren't collectibles to start with. I figure I'll start with
what I have and replace the ones that get used if they aren't
good enough.

Thanks!
John

Glassplus and a cotton towel. You'll be amazed at the sound
restoration also. Cheep in the supermarket or hardware store.
Old September 13th 09, 01:31 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Dave Beck

On Sep 12, 6:53*pm, jukepin wrote:
On Sep 11, 9:24*pm, jb wrote:

[...]

restoration also. Cheep in the supermarket or hardware store.- Hide quoted text -

Try the glass plus ( doesn't have ammonia in it ) with a soft tooth
brush first. Just go in circles with the grooves. Counter clockwise.
Then the towel.
Old September 13th 09, 02:00 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
jb

Guys,
Thank you all for the great ideas. I think I'll go the Glassplus
route and then use the Discwasher once they have been
cleaned up initially.

I appreciate the help. I'm hoping I can get enough keepers
out of these to fill the machine and still have a bunch of others
to cycle in as the mood hits!

Old September 13th 09, 08:00 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
WEade[_2_]

Oh, I'm sure you will have enough to "cycle" through as the mood hits. When
I had my Rock-Ola 454, my initial plan was to have only 160 45's. That way,
I could put in a set of 80, and then later change them all out with the next
set.

Did that happen? No.

I ended up, over the course of a couple of years, with over 1000 45's. I'd
hear a song I liked, and then I needed to get the 45. I had that jukebox
for about 7 years and I never cycled through all the 45's. Lol!

Enjoy it! Jukes are a MUST HAVE item for any gameroom!

Bill

new 45's johnsong Juke Boxes 2 July 24th 07 05:53 PM
Any Source for new 45's ?? TL88427 Juke Boxes 16 March 5th 07 01:22 AM
Why do I have so many NEW skipping 45's? [email protected] Juke Boxes 2 July 5th 06 03:38 AM
FA: Italian 45's Barry Schiffer Juke Boxes 0 October 29th 04 11:17 PM
WHAT ARE 45's WORTH? ProStreet36 Juke Boxes 9 October 17th 04 02:30 PM